SCS Software

message board
It is currently 25 Feb 2017 08:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016 15:33 

Welcome to the BK Vissers Logistic story thread. This will be a series of screenshots tied together with text to tell a tale - hopefully more than one - in the life of our company.

BK Vissers Logistic - Vissers for short - is a smaller Netherlands-based transport company operating with its HQ in Groeningen.

I'm Buddy, a Canadian living in the Netherlands married to a Dutch girl, Saskia. I'm the driver in our family. I have a DAF XF 105 510, painted red with a giant maple leaf on it, just like on my sig below.

Buddy

Image Image Image

Last edited by BK Vissers on 17 Jan 2017 15:13, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016 15:42 

A long drive today; I started in Germany and have to deliver in Venice. It was all going perfect, with a stop mid day for break and then on into Italy. The highways are gorgeous, but busy. I got hung up for a couple of hours due to an accident somewhere ahead. The buffer I had to deliver on time suddenly evaporated but I think I can just make it if I go a bit faster. These curves are a bit....

The Big Accident

Image Image Image

Last edited by BK Vissers on 30 Nov 2016 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016 16:57 

My husband, Buddy, had an accident in Italy. He rolled the truck on the highway avoiding some stopped cars. The tractor slid into the concrete divider and the cab was badly crushed. He's in hospital and won't be driving, or doing anything, for some time. That means I have to start working right away.

My name is Saskia, and I'm about to become a trucker.

Saskia

Trucking is our family business. My grandfather taught me to drive, but I never expected to be behind the wheel professionally. I had to rush to take the course and tests and find a job. Buying my own truck was out of the question. That meant I had to work for a trucking company. The one that hired me meant I had to move to Kiel, Germany.

Kiel

Today is my first day. A small test by my employer to see if I really can do this...

Posped, my new employer

Image Image Image

Last edited by BK Vissers on 17 Jan 2017 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016 18:23 

My husband drove a DAF and swore by them. I was in it countless times. I knew how it sounded. I could even park it. But this company I drive for owns a fleet of Scanias. It makes me nervous; everything is familiar but different. I don't want to mess up my first job.

Big Scania

Ever wondered where Kiel actually is? It's a pretty town of a quarter million, the entrance to the Kiel Canal, and a hub of maritime activity. I have a small apartment and am settling in.

Map

Ok, back to my test drive. My first load would not even take me out of the town. It's short trial run a few kilometres from the depot. My load? Truck rims. I'm happy it's not eggs...

I worried for nothing. The parking technique I was taught by one of the other drivers working for the company really worked. He used his mirrors but when reversing he would lean out the cab and look behind him. Turn the wheel left to make the trailer go left, and right to make it go right. It was so much easier than looking at mirrors only and getting confused because there the movements are opposite. I left the trailer right at the loading bay.

Right Where it's supposed to be

My employer was happy I delivered the load properly. He was less happy that it took me three minutes to get to the destination, and ten to park! But you have to start somewhere...

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016 19:23 

Nice storytelling, good luck for the new firm.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016 22:08 

Awesome stroy and shots ;)

Forum Member #333

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016 21:28 

With my test drive out of the way, Posped was willing to give me a job, carrying nothing exceptional, certainly nothing fragile, valuable, urgent, nor hazardous. I can't say I was disappointed - right now nice simple runs were what I needed to gain experience.

So when I returned to Posped's terminal, I was given a new load. It's nice to have so much work I don't have to worry about being keeping busy. But I don't have a specific truck assigned to me so it means I'm constantly switching from one to another, the last one was a 4x2 R730. It went like the wind! Now I have a 6X2 R520. It drives completely different!

So this job was also the first one that took me out of town. My employer said I was ok for short intercity runs, within 250 kilometres, at least for now until I had more experience. This one would take me from Kiel to Hannover with a load of tyres. I was excited to get out of the city and experience the open highway.

First Real Load

Another reason I was excited was that I received an email that morning as I was leaving for work. It was a perfect coincidence! There was a Scania dealer in Hannover. I replied asking for an appointment. It would be fun to see some nice shiny new trucks!

I left the depot and made my way through town uneventfully until just before the entrance to the highway. Just as the light turned green the bus in front of me hit a car that went through a red light. I was part way in the intersection and had no safe way to pass. I decided to wait for them to clear, as it didn't look like no one was hurt and they'd move without the police coming.

What was he thinking???

Once I got on the highway I felt much more relaxed. I wished I had the R730 from the day before, it merged so much more easily! But I probably harped a hard time on the on-ramp because of my inexperience with timing my acceleration, cornering and all that.

True Joy!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016 21:35 

Great shots all around ;)

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016 21:49 

Not all of my employers trucks have GPS. Including this one. Once in Hannover I was so busy looking for where I had to go I missed the turn and had to do a left very late; luckily the direction that had the green light had no cars in it so I didn't get blocked.

Oops!

Why is the hardest part of driving a truck left for the end of the run? The warehouse at my destination was full of trailers. All the bays were taken except one in the middle. I managed to park between the others but it was hard work!

I'm a Parking Queen!

My delivery complete, I had a bit of time to kill while I waited for new instructions from my employer. It was Monday afternooon, the Scania dealership was open and I had an appointment... I hoped my husband would not be too upset that I wasn't going to his DAF dealer, but it was in Amsterdam!

To be very honest, I felt a bit silly going to the dealership. It wasn't like I could afford a truck! But one can dream...and the Scanias were very impressive. My husband drove a DAF but when I was growing up, my grandfather had a Scania and he was just as adamant about how wonderful it was as my husband was about his XF105. The thing was, my employer had an all-Scania fleet, so I was really getting a lot of experience on them. It made sense to look at what you know best, right?

I decided, just for fun, to try and spec out the least expensive Streamline, and see what it might cost. €108,595! It was terribly expensive. I was even more shocked when I saw that some were going for well over €200,000! I would be working a long time to save that kind of money!

Big, Blue and EXPENSIVE!!!

My phone rang. It was my boss. They were happy with how I was on time and neither cargo nor truck was damaged. They said they would use me for more valuable loads than just the completely basic stuff.

I was pretty happy about that, but being reminded I had a job to do brought me back to reality. A new Scania, or new ANYTHING, was not going to happen for a long while.

Image Image Image

Last edited by BK Vissers on 30 Nov 2016 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016 21:56 

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated!

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next