RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 4)

jules.raton

Re: RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 2)

#61 Post by jules.raton » 14 Jan 2017 12:26

Thanks a lot guys! :oops:

@BK Vissers Yeah that makes sense. ETS's cargo bays are indeed pretty large compared to the ones I've seen IRL.
Killerhangar

#62 Post by Killerhangar » 14 Jan 2017 13:14

Up here, its 50-50. There are lot of places with like 3m between docks and some places which you need to get the trailer straight in or it hits others parked on the docks. And lot of between. :lol:
#scandirammer #swedenskåperz #finland
obelihnio

#63 Post by obelihnio » 14 Jan 2017 13:28

Daaamn, that one helluva good story, just read the whole day 2. Cool idea to include even the trip home. Keep it up mate! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-)
StereoPhobic

#64 Post by StereoPhobic » 14 Jan 2017 13:57

I even don't know what to say Jules, orher than it was frickn awesome story.
The shots as well were awesome :)

Keep up the story telling, and don't forget about those shots :D
jules.raton

RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 3)

#65 Post by jules.raton » 07 Feb 2017 12:12

DAY 3 : White day off

I woke up around 6. I tried sleeping a little more but I could only roll from one side to the other without resting.
About half an hour later the phone rang. It was Iona:
"Hi, how are you? I politely started.
-Daniel had an accident last night, she replied, with a broken voice.
-Shit! Is he alright? What happened?
-He's alright, a bit shocked but nothing severe thank god. He's in a clinic near Calais.
-Pfew, okay. I'll call him. Do you know what happened? I asked
-According to the cop that called me, he tried to avoid a car that was overtaking a bus. But with the snow on the road he jack-knifed and slided into the ditch.
-The snow? I got out of the bed and went to the window. Then I saw the white landscape.
-It snowed all night! Don't you watch the forecast?
-I just saw some flakes when I got home last night, but no I don't really watch TV.
-Well you should! Michelle is in Scotland, she decided to stop as it was getting too dangerous and Jean got pulled over by the danish authorities in Aalborg until the highways are plowed.
-Holy crap...
-Yeah it's a bad day for trucking. I'm still waiting on the wrecking company to call me back but Daniel told me that the MP3 is totalled. Armin is bringing his truck to the depot, I'm gonna need you to go pick up Daniel's trailer if it isn't too damaged to pull.
-Yes of course. Keep me posted alright?"

I went downstairs to make some coffee and eat a little something. I wasn't feeling too good.
I tried calling Daniel but it was going straight to voicemail.
I was worried.
I called one more time and left a message telling him to phone me back as soon as possible.

By noon, I was still waiting on both of them to call me back.
I turned the TV on and watch the news. I watch the images of snowy roads and cars pilling up on highways.
Northern Europe was in a blizzard state. And it didn't reassured me at all.

An hour later, I received a text from Armin telling me that the truck was at the depot.
I called Iona.
"Do you have any news? I inquired.
-No not yet. But truck traffic is at a full stop. The police is pulling them over on rest areas. I don't think you'll go today.
-Okay. I can't reach Daniel. Do you know if he's alright?
-He got out of the clinic 15 minutes ago. He has a broken rib and bruises from the seatbelt but he's alright. At least that's what he told me. You know him, you know how he is.
-Yeah I know" I smiled.

3 hours later, Daniel was calling me back. Finally!
"Hey there, worried are we? he asked.
-Of course I am, how are you dude?
-A bit under the weather, what do you think?
-I can imagine, I was searching for words. Are you hurt?
-Nah it's alright, nothing I can't manage. It hurts way less than when I fell from that scaffolding, remember?
-How can I forget. That was the scariest shit I ever saw...
He laughed.
-Yeah I know, got me worried too. I'm taking the train back to Paris. Any news on the wreck?
-I don't know yet. So, what happened back there?
-Well, shit happened! I could see his little grin on the other side of the phone. I was coming back from Croydon with about 12 pallets of biscuits. I exited Calais and a few kilometers ahead, just before a big curve, I saw a car that was trying to overtake a bus, I flashed, honked and tried to avoid him by pulling on the right. He spun out and I needed not to collide with him or else he was donzo! My right tyre got caught in the dirt and I jackknifed. The trailer, even as light at it was, pushed me further into the ditch. The trees stopped the cab but I was lucky not to get squeezed between them and the trailer...
-Holy fuck...
-Yeah that was pretty much my reaction. You know what's worse? The bastard didn't even stopped. It's the bus driver that helped me out the cab. I really wish I had a dashcam to look up his plate.

We kept chatting for some time. I didn't have a chance to catch up with him since he got me the job. I offered to pick him up at the station and stay at home but he was a little too proud for that. I would have insisted but I knew him too well.
It was getting dark outside when I hang up.

I received a text from Iona. I was to pick up the trailer tomorrow. Apparently it wasn't too damaged.

I hadn't drive even a kilometer but somehow was really tired. I was a bit stressed about tomorrow. I knew how to drive on snow, but it reminded me of Jimmy.

I got to bed with a heavy heart and bad memories.

Added : Big Garage, Profiliner, Old Chereau, Chereau, Lamberet SR2, Cistern Chrome by Fred_BE, Improved Windshields, Garmin 50LMT by AlexeyP, Wielton NS3K M2, Schmitz Cargobull S.CS Universal, Krone Megaliner by Borsuk & Edkels, Limetec V2 by AB 3DSM Customs, Light Boards by Golcan, Radar Detector by Schumi, Pneumatic driver seat by Big Bear, Realistic Density by Cipinho (Removed D.B.'s) and lots lots of edit and personal mods.

Sorry for the absence guys, I haven't had any time to record a proper episode. No screenies this time but don't you worry, I'm gonna have some time available in the next few days ;)
Hope you guys still enjoy!

Dear mods I didn't censor myself to keep with the spirit of the story. If you don't like it, I totally understand and will censor bad words in the future.
Last edited by jules.raton on 07 Feb 2017 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
BK Vissers

Re: RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 3)

#66 Post by BK Vissers » 07 Feb 2017 14:50

Well, isn't weather just responsible for a whole pile of messes! Your story, my story, Obelihnio's story, Spotted Hyena's story.... we will need to meet up at a trucks stop and commiserate! ;)
MrCapital

Re: RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 3)

#67 Post by MrCapital » 07 Feb 2017 16:06

I love it. Keep it up mate!
[ external image ]
- retired modder - do not disturb -
jules.raton

Re: RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 4)

#68 Post by jules.raton » 14 Mar 2017 17:20

DAY 4 : Recovery

I woke up at 8 and waited for Iona's call. Not that I couldn't come to the depot sooner but I didn't want to rush myself onto the morning traffic, especially on snowy roads. Parisians are always panicky and dumb when it comes to snow.

At 10:30 she sent a message, Armin was driving the Scania to the depot, it was time to move.
[ external image ]
The night made the road even slickier with a thin layer of ice. I almost slided on the tiles getting to my car.
[ external image ]
But trucks were rolling... I guess the roads were fine enough.
[ external image ]
The road to poissy was quiet but approaching the town I had to brake quite hard as the mercedes's driver in front of me lost control and almost hit the rail.
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
I parked the car behind the depot as instructed by Iona the other day.
[ external image ]
And went to the entrance. I could hear Iona walking down the stairs. She came with a coffee in each hand and offered me one.
We exchange a few words. You could see that Daniel's accident shook her up a little. She showed me a photograph he took and sent her, just after it happened.
[ external image ]
I guess he also had one from the front but didn't send her so she wouldn't worry too much.
[ external image ]
A couple of minutes later we heard Armin's Scania drive by.
[ external image ]
He got off the cab without turning the engine off and took the second coffee Iona was handing him.
We were still discussing Daniel's adventures and Armin was quite harsh with him: "He drives like a maniac. I told him numerous time. This ain't Romania.
Iona wasn't too keen on Armin's comment, I am romanian too you know! What about turkish drivers huh?"
As the tension rose, I felt it was time to go.
[ external image ]
I thanked her for the coffees and headed for the cab. Halfway through I heard Armin: "I'll go with you!"
I wasn't feeling good refusing him and it felt like he would have insisted anyway.
"Be careful you two!" said Iona as she went back in.
[ external image ]
I crawled behind the wheel and the tabacco's smell was strong. Thank god this truck will go to Daniel next, I though.
[ external image ]
I wasn't speeding, driving without a trailer felt weird. And the snow covered roads didn't help.
[ external image ]
Ten minutes later he already lit a cigarette.
[ external image ]
An half hour later we were taking the A16 to Calais.
[ external image ]
Below us, traffic seemed to flow remarkebly well for a snowy day.
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
I was hearing a siren but couldn't see a police car anywhere, but a couple seconds later, a police van was hauling ass at around 180km/h when it overtook me...
[ external image ]
We passed through the last toolbooth before Calais before 3.
[ external image ]
And alongside the Channel tunnel entrance. It was said to be a warzone but I couldn't see it. My only worry was not to clip any of the signs.
[ external image ]
We exited the highway just before 4.
[ external image ]
Entering Calais's industrial zone, we could see the Beffroi in the distance.
[ external image ]
We arrive at the garage where the recovery team had dropped the trailer.
[ external image ]
We parked and got to talk the garage's manager. Along the discussion he told us he saw a few wrecks since yesterday and Daniel was pretty much the only lucky one.
We walked around the trailer but it seemed okay. There was only a scratch on the right side curtain, where the truck cab must've hit when it jack-knifed.
[ external image ]
I got around and started backing up to attach the trailer. Armin was on the phone.
[ external image ]
I secured the fifth wheel, connected the hoses and pulled the crutches up. When I got back in the cab Armin told me we had a job. We were to pick up mails and parcels from the Europe Airpost depot.
[ external image ]
We arrived there half an hour later.
[ external image ]
A little too sure of myself, I tried backing up from the right side. Armin wasn't objecting but you could see he was waiting on me to screw up.
[ external image ]
Halfway through I stopped. I went at the end of the depot and headed back to my spot but this time I backed up from the left side.
[ external image ]
Way easier! Apart from those damn boxes I almost bumped.
[ external image ]
I stopped the engine, asked Armin for a cigarette and waited for the dispatcher to tell me when to open the doors.
The load was ready but the guys were already loading another trailer. I guess we'll wait.

Again guys, sorry for the long time no see, had quite a lot on my plate IRL but I'll hopefully be able to share more when everything falls back in place. Take care!
Last edited by jules.raton on 15 Mar 2017 14:59, edited 2 times in total.
Hakan

RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 4)

#69 Post by Hakan » 14 Mar 2017 17:41

Awesome shots and story! like real! so cool, Doesn't matter!
BK Vissers

Re: RP trucking diary by jules.raton (DAY 4)

#70 Post by BK Vissers » 14 Mar 2017 18:59

Good pics and a pleasure to read and follow. I hope RL stuff sorts itself out and all is well. :)

Return to “Screenshots”