Last Call Specialty Freight, Truckers Log

SpottedHyena

Re: Last Call Specialty Freight, Truckers Log

#21 Post by SpottedHyena » 31 Dec 2016 04:25

Truckers Log, Tuesday 5:45 P.M.
The week started off nice enough. I finally got to sleep in. I woke up in time enough however, to head down to the local shop and pick up some blue L.E.D. lights and flares for my truck. I think with the paint scheme they go great with it! I'll share a photo of it later. Picking up a load of pre-fab concrete floor slabs, I was on my way to Torino Italy. I had just awoke and was having a greasy cheeseburger from the gas station I was stopped at when I spotted this late 70s Volvo F10 heading down the road. It was in immaculate condition, I could only guess the tender loving care that was put into this ol' gal to get her looking and driving as good as she was. Much like an old Peterbilt 359, or Mack R700 in the United States, this F10 is a staple of transportation history in Europe. Even I can appreciate a classic when I see one!

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Ouroboros Bulk Liquid Transportation, Venezia Italia. Volvo FM, 420 HP D13.
SpottedHyena

#22 Post by SpottedHyena » 31 Dec 2016 05:49

Truckers log, 10:48 A.M., Wednesday.
Ah, Milan Italy. My second home, everyone at the local diners and coffee shops seem to know my name, and I'm getting to the point where I don't even have to use the google translator on my tablet anymore to be able to order food and converse with the locals! Seems like every other week, or even every week, I am making a delivery to either Lyon, France, or here in Milan. After negotiating the hellish back roads between Bern and Torino to deliver the concrete floor fabrications to Transinet, I found myself tired, without coffee and without freight. Now, I'm not whining, but you have to admit, that particular stretch of highway is horrible to negotiate, especially with a load of freight. I made for here in Milan, and stopped for the night. I woke a bit early to make a surprise visit to my garage here. The regional manager here runs a pretty tight ship I've heard, probably because they know I like to make these little surprise visits to make sure my trucks are running on time and my drivers are putting in the work they're supposed to be.
After my daily inspection, I picked up a load of fuel and headed for the ITCC depot to pick up a ventilation shaft heading for Jonkoping, Sweden. What luck! I can route through Rostock and go home for a day during my work week! Although, admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of delivering in Scandinavia. There isn't an ITCC for miles, and very seldom do I get a good load of freight bound for one. But, the money for this load is good, so I'll at least come out on top a little bit even if I do have to come back empty.
While I was waiting for my trailer's air pressure to come up, I decided to snap a picture of my new light setup. I'd like to know from anyone reading this what they think? Does the blue on white match up? Notice I have plenty of Xenon brights on my truck. Woe betide anyone forgetting to turn off their bright lights on me. I do love how I can create a second sun to get by on back roads during bad weather in the dark or fog, though.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
SpottedHyena

#23 Post by SpottedHyena » 31 Dec 2016 07:51

Friday, 9:16 A.M.
After a long, long journey, from one end of Europe to the other, and then to Sweden, I delivered the ventilation shaft to GNT with only 40 Minutes to spare before the hard deadline! I was starting to sweat for a bit, but it all turned out alright. Tired from my trip, and unable to sleep well on the ferry over, I decided to stop for the night and get some sleep before heading back to Rostock. I woke up not to long ago, and I woke up to this madness here;

[ external image ]

Those vile, evil white flakes all over the windshield there is snow! There are only a few things this hyena can say he really hates; Cabbage, going to the doctor, and snow. Especially now that I drive a truck I want nothing to do with it. Fortunately, my outside temperature reading is 31 degrees Fahrenheit, and checking Weather bug app on my tablet suggests that it's going to warm above freezing before long, and that this is only a flurry and nothing is supposed to stick. Still, I think it's best to watch the bridges and overpasses for slick spots for the time being. Hopefully I can go home with some freight behind me, too!
[ external image ]
SpottedHyena

#24 Post by SpottedHyena » 31 Dec 2016 08:56

Truckers Log, 8:23 P.M., Friday.
I was in luck! a Grocery store in Jonkoping had a trailer filled with recyclable used packaging that the ITCC in Rostock wanted. This was my lucky day, or so I thought at the time. This would put me in Rostock in time for dinner and a full weekend with my wife at home. The snow did let up, but the temperature never warmed up. The road crews were diligent enough to keep the melting snow on the roadways from icing up, so all I had to worry about was the white stripe that was forming on the side of my truck from the salt and brine spray, yuck.
After another 5 hour ferry ride and the subsequent queezy stomach, I set off out of the Rostock docks on my way to the ITCC depot, and then home. Then, tragedy struck;

[ external image ]

The man driving the Actros, we're just going to call him Dimwit. Now Dimwit here pulled right out in front of me and this oncoming car here with a trailer full of cattle. I suppose he figured since we had brakes, we would stop to accommodate his very tight schedule. Normally, a scenario like this would end with a one finger salute, and a heated argument on the CB radios. But tonight, it was different. The shiny shean on the roads was ice. Frozen rain had poured down on Rostock during my ride over on the ferry. I hit my brakes, I could feel my axles lock up, and my trailer begin to swing out. I sounded my horn and flashed my lights. Knowing I couldn't stop, and knowing he wouldn't be able to get out of the way in time, I released the brakes, and steered hard right. I slammed into the curb, and then into the bushes. The noise was horrible. The oncoming car, also unable to stop, careened out of control into ol' Dimwit's trailer. I'm unscathed, Sir Max has a bruise or two, I think, my poor DAF? Not so much. A blown front tire and a 1,000 Euro bent rim. I'm sure there's some suspension damage there too, But it's to dark to tell. Now, we wait for the Polezei to show up. Hopefully they get there before I jump out and ring Dimwit's scrawny little neck!

**Update***
After the police arrived, and threatened to arrest me if I tried to grab the other driver one more time, I calmed down. Fortunately, I was close enough to my garage to where it was no time before another one of my drivers, Eva, showed up to take my load to the ITCC Depot. Upon inspection once my truck was towed back to my garage showed I was in luck. I am ordering a new set of front tires, a new rim and hub assembly, but no serious suspension damage was found. As for Sir Max, he will have a slight limp for a while. The veterinarian told me that when he was thrown into the dash during the impact that it fractured his front leg. Despite the cast, which the wife and I drew cute pictures on, he is still the happy tail wagging little buddy he always was.
I hope you guys enjoyed the story and screen shots! until next time.
[ external image ]
Hakan

#25 Post by Hakan » 31 Dec 2016 15:09

Woah great story! And Pictures!
BK Vissers

#26 Post by BK Vissers » 31 Dec 2016 19:08

Dont get arrested. Your wife will not keep your dinner warm that long! :lol:

Cool story. Love how the game offers interesting situations like your accident! I had the same happen in mine.
SpottedHyena

#27 Post by SpottedHyena » 01 Jan 2017 18:41

Not so truckers log 2:48 P.M. Saturday
Since my DAF was on the ropes and it was the weekend, the wife and I (Mostly the wife) Likes to drive to Berlin from time to time to visit friends (her friends) when I have time off from the road. Now normally, a car load of giggling females would be any male's dream. Not so much mine, at least not in this capacity. After a day of perusing clothing stores, Jewelry shops and book stores, we were on our way to the next venue when I just so happened to pass a MAN dealership. Being a staunch DAF fan, I generally pay different dealerships no mind, but as I turned my head I spotted an odd truck sitting in the parking lot. Fortunately for me, I was driving the car, so with only a small bit of resistance from my wife and her friends I decided to visit the dealership. Promising several times I wouldn't take long, I decided to get a little closer to have a look;
[ external image ]

It was a Volkswagen Constellation! Or so the salesman told me. Again, not being from Europe, I had no idea that Volkswagen even made road tractors, let alone what model it was. It turns out, this one found it's way from Brazil to Europe somehow, and was just traded off for a MAN only about three or four hours ago. The salesman was eager to tell me all about it. a 460 Horsepower engine, 16 speed transmission, 6x4 Chassis, 370,000 KM on a working odometer, so fairly young as far as semi trucks are concerned, and it was in great shape looks like with a few add ons like chrome baubles here and there. You cant see it from this angle, but there were chrome antennas and chrome air hookup pedestals behind the cab. Despite the glares I was receiving from the car, I was curious enough to open the driver door and climb inside for a look see;
[ external image ]

Compared to my XF, this thing was pretty basic. It had everything I needed if I had to drive it, MP3/CD/XM Satelite radio. a CB so I can listen to the endless nonsense from fellow drivers. The appropriate gauges which all of them seemed to work, and the usual albeit small sleeper. I turned the key and started it, it was quite a bit noisier than my DAF is as well. I suppose if one needs a good, cheap fleet truck, this would do nicely for pulling loads up to 30 tons or so. Nothing I'd take real heavy stuff with. I didn't stay in the truck long, nor test drove it. My wife was complaining over text on my phone, and the salesman was being quite annoying, constantly repeating over and over "So, all I need you to do is sign right here" and "Let's talk about some numbers." He was certainly eager to get the Volkswagen off of the MAN lot for obvious reasons. I think I'll save this truck for someone else. I think my XF is a bit better. Still, I hope this piece finds a good home, would love to see her out on the road one day!
[ external image ]
Hakan

#29 Post by Hakan » 01 Jan 2017 20:03

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SpottedHyena

#30 Post by SpottedHyena » 01 Jan 2017 20:57

I'll be back on the road again soon! My DAF is nearly fixed, and all is well. If you guys enjoy the trucks I'll post a screen shot or two of unique trucks I find and see on the roads and the like. Maybe I'll even test drive one or two, just don't tell my XF.
[ external image ]

Return to “Screenshots”