SCS Blender Tools

Cadde

Re: SCS Blender Tools

#11 Post by Cadde » 29 Nov 2013 22:47

Of course, this is what it looks like when making a skin:

[ external image ]

As you can tell, i also have 2 monitors... A must have for any skinner! ;)
On extended hiatus.
ohaha

#12 Post by ohaha » 29 Nov 2013 23:08

Sir Cas Tick wrote:Don't tell me you guys are actually copy/pasting/rotating each tiny bit onto the final file to match the "preset" as it is in the default file :shock:
We won't tell you... but I thought you wanted to learn! :lol:
Retired, but still loving it.
Sir Cas Tick

#13 Post by Sir Cas Tick » 29 Nov 2013 23:22

Cadde wrote:Of course, this is what it looks like when making a skin...
Looks like it's based on the template I found, but still, when I opened the texture file that's already in the game, this did not look like this so that's the part I don't get - how do you actually go from what you've shown to a file containing all these bits and part laid out in... a weird way?

Oh and (@ohaha) OK, you can tell me now... I'll be strong, I'm ready to hear it now ;)
ohaha

#14 Post by ohaha » 29 Nov 2013 23:33

A skin template is a (png, psd, xcf o even jpg, but that is not so good) containing the exact placement, shape and size of the UVMaps of each bodywork panel.
Meaning that, if you put some graphic there and export the file in a compatible format, then pack it into a mod with the required definitions added, the game will paint it - exactly as placed in the file - on the truck.
So... a lot of talent and patience (as our own Cadde displays) is needed to get the perfect results. :)

What I did was to take all those pieces from the template and arrange them, in a different file, in a more logical layout that allows me to have a single image in the bottom layer (the actual graphics of the skin) and all the other bits in separate layers (the actual UVMap shape is transparent) on top of it. Then, all I need to do is merge them onto the bottom layer, one by one. Of course, after each merge, I copy the result and place it back into the main file, in the original position, by superimposing it onto the template. When all the bits are done, I remove the template layer, merge everything into a single layer and export it as dds. :)
Sir Cas Tick

#15 Post by Sir Cas Tick » 30 Nov 2013 00:02

:shock: This is insane! How do you even know what part goes where in the "color" file? I can recognize some parts there, but certainly not all. Wow, I really though you guys have some kind of converters that you just use to have the template file chopped to bits and arranged as needed for the "color.dds" file (and then proceed with making the actual mod from it), but manual rearrangement?

Well then - respect! I thought I'm patient when I don't attempt to overtake a truck on a land road for a whole 5 minutes, but that's a whole new level of patience.

That said, I'm really looking forward to see DLC skin packs from SCS ;)
ohaha

#16 Post by ohaha » 30 Nov 2013 08:02

The template for the skin is not color.dds.
color.dds is the texture_base, which adds some details, like shading to try take away the impression of computer generated surface.
The skin is applied via texture_paintjob, which, in the model, uses and empty, square dds file (called empty.dds). That dds is replaced by the game engine with the skin, in accordance to its UVMap.

This is how the template looks like, for the new FH16 2012:

[ external image ]

Click for full size.

As you can see, the parts are organized in a neat layout and are not that hard to identify.
But it is still a bit tedious, to match them perfectly.
116808apd

#17 Post by 116808apd » 30 Nov 2013 09:17

I can skin on one screen :p

To mix in the discussion Im agreeing on SCS inventing the wheel again. We already had Zmodeler and SCS2Blender and now we get another blender program....

I don't really get it. I think there were some high skilled modders waiting for a SCS23dsmax programm as such.

And btw SCS doesn't use Zmodeler... ;)
-
ohaha

#18 Post by ohaha » 30 Nov 2013 10:30

If it's wishing time, I would like an SCS2CATIA or SCS2SolidWorks tool... :D
EvilEye

#19 Post by EvilEye » 30 Nov 2013 11:31

ohaha wrote:If it's wishing time, I would like an SCS2CATIA or SCS2SolidWorks tool... :D
SCS2Paint would be epic :lol:
Dr. Evil Eye (c) GT-Mike

Rock - it's like rum, but for ears
Sir Cas Tick

#20 Post by Sir Cas Tick » 30 Nov 2013 12:40

@ohaha - A-Ha! And I was thinking that after you paint the template, you actually split each tiny part of it from each section and lay it on top of the "color" template as it is there which would be a crazy lot work.

That said, thanks for the info, I will surely do some more research on that and once "Kalinka-TRANS" has its first official homebrew Tick-painted truck, I'll show it off :)

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”