realistic stick shift transmission

heavyhauler

realistic stick shift transmission

#1 Post by heavyhauler » 20 Dec 2013 00:01

I drive with a Logitech g27 and I have it set on stick shift. in real life, when you have a stick shift car and you need to start it, you need to either be pulled or pushed, or you have to be on a hill. when you are on a hill going down, you start rolling, and when you start rolling, you push in the clutch and engage into first or second gear. then the car starts. I think we should have that in the game.
jarvik79

Re: realistic stick shift transmission

#2 Post by jarvik79 » 20 Dec 2013 00:08

heavyhauler wrote:I drive with a Logitech g27 and I have it set on stick shift. in real life, when you have a stick shift car and you need to start it, you need to either be pulled or pushed, or you have to be on a hill. when you are on a hill going down, you start rolling, and when you start rolling, you push in the clutch and engage into first or second gear. then the car starts. I think we should have that in the game.
Ermmmm, I think you're describing bump-starting.... which you definitely don't need to do in any car unless you have a REALLY crappy car with a broken starter motor/alternator/battery -in a articulated truck hauling 30 tons, this is much MUCH less likely to be the case!
Cadde

#3 Post by Cadde » 20 Dec 2013 14:33

To do that in a truck you would have to disengage the brakes first since they only release when air pressure is applied.
I would not try to fiddle with that seeing as how really bad things can happen.

Beyond that, diesel engines are really hard to push start on a normal car. Imagine how tough it would be to do that with a truck...

That said, you can do this in an automatic too, it just takes a higher speed to get it started and it is harmful (more so than a stick shift) to the transmission.
On extended hiatus.
BWD

#4 Post by BWD » 20 Dec 2013 14:45

heavyhauler,You've never ridden in a vehicle with a stick shift have you?

And as Cadde said: To do that in a truck you would have to disengage the brakes first since they only release when air pressure is applied.
I would not try to fiddle with that seeing as how really bad things can happen.

Believe me that is so true for I have had to do this a few times while driving a semi tractor trailer. It is NO fun. :(
Win 7 Home Premium,16 GIGS Ram,Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatality,Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System,EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2 GB GDDR5 Graphic card,Corsair 750 Watt Power supply,AMD Phenom II Black edition 965 3.4 GHz.four core processor.
heavyhauler

#5 Post by heavyhauler » 28 Dec 2013 03:20

I meant like in the game when you exit the port, there is a big hill. and if you roll, the truck should start. I
jarvik79

#6 Post by jarvik79 » 28 Dec 2013 10:35

Sorry to disagree but no it really shouldn't, since bump starting is a BAD thing to do in any vehicle - if done improperly it can cause serious damage - quite apart from it being extremely difficult in an artic. If you're on a hill, put the parking brake on if not on, then electrics, then turn the engine. If you the engine doesn't start, call the rescue services :)

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”