[SOLVED] Euro Truck Simulator 2 Crashes To Desktop (No Mods)

Reinhard

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Crashes To Desktop (No Mods)

#11 Post by Reinhard » 03 Nov 2013 17:05

When I had these problems, I wasn't tabbing to the desktop. Just driving along. Black screen, but sound. Tabbing was afterwards, when I hoped to be able to recover. Didn't work, then I saw these lines in the log. No other error.

So if the errors were indirectly caused by the tabbing afterwards, we have zero indication for the reason of the crash. Too bad.
Cadde

#12 Post by Cadde » 03 Nov 2013 17:07

You don't have to press ALT+TAB to lose focus. Another application can steal focus. I can make an application that crashes ETS 2 at random intervals if i wanted with similar issues.
On extended hiatus.
Matt Hsv

#13 Post by Matt Hsv » 03 Nov 2013 17:16

Yeah I never tabbed out the application tabbed out itself. I also tried to tab back in and the game refused forcing me to ctrl alt delete and end process.
If my Hsv isn't here it's at home.
Reinhard

#14 Post by Reinhard » 03 Nov 2013 17:19

Please don't. :D

Would such a focus change be noticeable to the user in any way? May be a pop-up in the browser? Other programs I usually have in background are harmless, I guess. If a Zmodeler or other tools I use would cause it, I would expect that to happen all the time. But it's rare.
Cadde

#15 Post by Cadde » 03 Nov 2013 17:20

Not always, running Process Explorer on a second screen will most likely catch the culprit though.
On extended hiatus.
Matt Hsv

#16 Post by Matt Hsv » 03 Nov 2013 17:23

I know it's not the video card/system I am running because I can play other games for as long as I want such as F1 2013 all night tonight and there were no crashes no strange things happening. I believe this is a game issue come about after a certain patch who knows.
Reinhard

#17 Post by Reinhard » 03 Nov 2013 17:34

Not possible for me. First: no second screen. Second: This happens every fifty hours or so. This is not the amount of time I want to spend driving while looking to another direction.

Any idea if such can be logged?
Cadde

#18 Post by Cadde » 03 Nov 2013 17:53

Well, it's possible to detect which window has focus at any given time. That said, it's not 100% certain that this is the cause of the issue.
But yeah, it's possible to write a logger that logs whenever focus changes to another application.
On extended hiatus.
BHS

#19 Post by BHS » 04 Nov 2013 17:11

Not claiming to be an expert on this type of error at all. But maybe, just maybe, it's because of overheating the GPU.

I can play WoW for hours and hours and never hear the cooler. But spending a couple of minutes in ETS2 starts the cooler, indicating that the game is quite heavy on the GPU. So maybe your cooler isn't working as it should?

Just to give an example of what missing coolers can do, I had an experience long time ago. I was trying to install a Win98 2E on a machine. After a certain amount of time, the installation would stop with an error message that said 'Read error on CD'.

So naturally I took out the CD and switched off the machine while trying to clean the CD. Fired up again and got same result. Hm. What to do? Try with a different CD. I had one at home, so I drove home to get it. Only to get the exact same problem : 'Read error on CD'.

Took the machine apart, and it turned out that the CPU-cooler wasn't connected. So I connected it, and Win98 installed without any problems at all :)

Regards,
BHS
Matt Hsv

#20 Post by Matt Hsv » 18 Nov 2013 10:21

Finally after much trial and error I have Solved the Problem!

the problem was the "New AMD Video Card Drivers" now im not sure why but the newer drivers are causing the game to have direct x issues once I uninstalled the new drivers and re-installed the old drivers I had on my computer from 1 year ago the game started working fine again I would say to anyone having problems like this to look at your video card driver as this could well be the cause like in my case. So just because the video card drivers are the newest doesn't mean they are the best I am going to be sticking with this driver for a while now.

Thankfully now I can get back to the game I love playing Euro Truck Simulator 2!

Return to “Technical Problems”