Engine Brake

marcel-dutch

Re: Engine Brake

#1 Post by marcel-dutch » 22 Apr 2017 10:52

You don't need those handles for the engine brake or retarder.
As in ETS and ATS is it IRL controlled via the brake paddle.
The onboard computer controls the engine brake, retarder and the mechanical breaks.
IonutL

#2 Post by IonutL » 22 Apr 2017 12:53

I'm using the toggle engine brake with the automated option disabled in options. For me it has always been working. Maybe only on lower revs and speed it hasn't a great impact, but if the engine brake is active you can always hear the specific sound it makes (assuming that everything is ok with the sound playback).
Last edited by IonutL on 22 Apr 2017 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
BK Vissers

#3 Post by BK Vissers » 22 Apr 2017 13:12

I use the toggle, and it works fine. But what I've never been able to use is the Increase/Decrease function. Mine is always at whatever the default is. :oops:
IonutL

#4 Post by IonutL » 22 Apr 2017 13:13

I've just launched the game and i didn't see any problem with it.
When i press the engine brake toggle button, the brake is activated and it is maintained activated, pressing the same button again will disable the engine brake. When i use the buttons for increase, decrease the power level, i couldn't find any significant differences between them. (Maybe only in ATS the increase/decrease level is implemented).
When i use the engine brake button, the brake is applied as long as i keep pressing the button.
I don't know what could be the issue on your part.
BK Vissers

#5 Post by BK Vissers » 22 Apr 2017 13:28

@ionutl - what you describe is exactly by experience.
marcel-dutch

#6 Post by marcel-dutch » 22 Apr 2017 13:43

IonutL wrote: I don't know what could be the issue on your part.
I understand the issue.
But...
More and more manufacturers are disabling the manual controls of the engine brake and retarder.
That can be the reason that the TS want to use the manual controls but that they are not working.
Set the engine brake or retarder on automatic, and they are controlled by the brake paddle.

At very low speed the engine brake will not be engaged and therefore will not be working.
Realise that the engine brake only work with higher RPM of the engine! That's the reason why truckers IRL pushing on the brake and gas paddle. The engine RPM need high enough to operate.
At low engine RPM the engine brake will simply not work.

At the past the mechanical brake, engine brake and retarder was it not possible to operate those brake systems with one controller. At the present time it is possible to operate them with one controller. That is the reason that in new trucks the seperate retarder or engine brake controller are not installed. You can search but you can not find them.

Why will you control those brakes with seperated handles, at the time that it is not needed?
Max
SCS Software

#7 Post by Max » 22 Apr 2017 13:57

yiannis wrote:I have assigned buttons for engine brake increase and decrease. I use the engine brake toggle when i want to brake but sometimes when i press the toggle the engine brake does not work. Can somebody explain how it works?
it works very differently based on what exactly you have set (option/gameplay, options/keys, actual truck state).
it is supposed to simulate manual or automatic control and both EU or US control style.

one of the common things: it does not brake when you press throttle or clutch.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
marcf

#8 Post by marcf » 18 May 2017 09:31

I'm pretty sure having multiple engine brake (not retarder) settings is set by engine, some only have 1 power setting, many ETS2 trucks.
Most of the ATS trucks have multiple settings (3 on my W900)

Toggle Engine brake: turns the engine brake on or off, at whichever power you have selected (High/Med/Low for example)
Engine brake: does what it says on the tin, full power or off

If you have engine brake up/down set, and DONT have toggle engine brake set, those buttons will cycle through Off > low > med > high, then engine brake down: High > med > low > Off
This is how I have it setup, and throttle, clutch and cruise control will all disable engine brake

This is how I run my game in ATS, I assume it's the same for ETS2

Return to “Gameplay Questions”