When to drop a Midlift axle?

Boeing73FLY

When to drop a Midlift axle?

#1 Post by Boeing73FLY » 16 May 2017 22:41

With the option "Automatic Drop of Liftable Axles" turned ON, I should expect axles to drop under a set weight. I have the Heavy Cargo DLC, and took a job of that category with a 6x2/4 chassis setup. After I attached the heavy trailer, I did not see the lift axle drop, even when I got up to 90 km/h. Is this normal operation for the auto-drop feature? I am pretty sure it is not normal to have the drive axle under so much stress because of the trailer weight.

I tested this also with a taglift configuration, and the axles dropped as intended. I only have this issue with the midlifts.

EDIT: Also, under what weight is recommended to lift a trailer axle (if the trailer has one liftable)?
MY ESSENTIAL MOD FOR REALISM

Enhanced Driving XPerience (EDXP) 2.0 + Addons for ATS (1.47) / ETS2 (1.47)
LeafeonGold

Re: When to drop a Midlift axle?

#2 Post by LeafeonGold » 17 May 2017 00:36

Usually lift axles are up when empty/ lightly loaded, I usually keep lift axles up if the cargo I have is less than 10 tons. The auto axle drop usually goes into effect automatically when you connect the trailer depending on how much weight is on the 5th wheel. Though, with the heavy trailer with the 1x4 trailer axle setup, it might not drop automatically because there isn't much weight being put on the 5th wheel.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW |//| 32GB RAM
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
Boeing73FLY

#3 Post by Boeing73FLY » 17 May 2017 00:42

If it's supposed to be based off the amount of force on the 5th wheel, then I guess SCS missed that part when coding the automatic drop, at least for the midlifts. I drove the heavy trailer (4-axle one) and the midlift did not go down, which it probably should.
MY ESSENTIAL MOD FOR REALISM

Enhanced Driving XPerience (EDXP) 2.0 + Addons for ATS (1.47) / ETS2 (1.47)
Jofunukun

#4 Post by Jofunukun » 17 Jul 2020 03:11

They coded it for the Taglift, but not the Midlift, which they should've.
Davina

#5 Post by Davina » 18 Jul 2020 09:39

Based on a contact-point max of 4.25t, I usually put both truck the trailer down at 17t+. I survive with both up below this in the interests of saving fuel (it does make a small difference - I have benchmarked it, getting 14.75 with the axle down & 15.14 with it up across a consistent course without interruptions or inconsistencies).
FlyingPigeon

#6 Post by FlyingPigeon » 04 Aug 2020 14:58

When To drop it? When Your total combined weight (Truck+trailer+cargo) is over 40 ton (5 Axels). Which is With a curtainsider is roughly When you load above 27 ton, lowereing the midlift Then gives you the opportunity to load roughly 31 tons of cargo, but only allowed in certain countries, and then you still have to load so not go above Max Axel weight and Max fifth wheel load capacity and kingpin Max weight.
With vanilla loads in vanilla game you practical Never have to lower it, not even With a reefer trailer.
Scandinavian truckdriver.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”