SCS Blender Tools

Wolfi
Beta tester

SCS Blender Tools

#1 Post by Wolfi » 29 Nov 2013 17:49

It's not a wish for the tool itself as SCS is already working on it: http://blog.scssoft.com/2013/11/scs-blender-tools.html

I only hope that those new tools will contain some gadget for easy material creating. And maybe some usefull option for easy creation of good skinning templates. Also maybe finally a tool for adding double pivot points (tandems!!!)
Time will tell ;)
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
florence3099
Global moderator

Re: SCS Blender Tools

#2 Post by florence3099 » 29 Nov 2013 17:54

Basically the seem to be re doing what 50keda did with Blender2SCS. Which seems a bit daft, as they could have simply offered offical support for that and helped development.
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 29 Nov 2013 17:56

GT-Mike wrote:Also maybe finally a tool for adding double pivot points (tandems!!!)
Time will tell ;)
Let me tell, though my name is not "time". :)

Forget about it, it is not about creating points. This would be utterly simple: copy an existing pivot point, move it to the correct location and give it a proper name - what ever that is.

The problem is the counterpart in the game engine, not to build the models.

When ETS 1 and GTS came, then, people tried if creating such points, which they knew from the older games, would work. It didn't, because the dedicated code in the engine was disabled.
Baja_002

#5 Post by Baja_002 » 29 Nov 2013 19:17

I'm glad that this will come out, I hope to make models faster because some things are really missing right now. Besides SCS will make it better than any moder so yea, can't wait
Wolfi
Beta tester

#6 Post by Wolfi » 29 Nov 2013 19:26

@joe - maybe it works the other way - maybe 50keda is actually helping them or have given them permission to work on his addon? I gues that would be best as 50k already made his addon really well. But if that is not the case I will probably still be using 50k's tool as I simply got used to it's functionality.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Sir Cas Tick

#7 Post by Sir Cas Tick » 29 Nov 2013 20:48

I hope this will be good enough to allow someone like me who has absolutely no experience in creating mods to at least create a custom paint job... or maybe some objects for the cabin interior... or a custom map... you get the point, I can't wait ;)
ohaha

#8 Post by ohaha » 29 Nov 2013 21:12

Sir Cas Tick

this won't help you make maps or paint-jobs. for those you need the built in map editor and a graphic editing software capable of exporting dds files, respectively.

but objects for interior... that's the ticket
Retired, but still loving it.
Cadde

#9 Post by Cadde » 29 Nov 2013 21:19

Using blender to make a custom paint job is both overkill and not how it works at all.

As for SCS doing this, i think it's a good thing. Sure they could have relied on 50Keda to update his plugin and helped with with all the stuff that is missing from that but it's better (IMHO) if SCS can actually maintain the tool first hand. This also ensures that if they change something later on they can easily update the tool.

Maybe SCS is even moving on from ZModeler alltogether because ZMod isn't doing it for them anymore? Which makes it even more important for them to be in control of the process.
That said, should Keda want to they should offer him employment seeing as how how knows his stuff when it comes to modeling for the game already.
Rather than take in someone who needs to get used to the formats and how things tie together it would be beneficial to have someone with the proper knowledge on this from the get go.

Dice pulled in Trauma Studios to work together with them on Battlefield 2. A really smart move if you ask me as they knew what the players actually wanted and made BF 2 one of the best titles of all time. (IMHO)

EDIT:

Oh and if SCS are hiring they should look around the Promods team as well for mappers and FLD makes excellent prefabs and to be frank, SCS is in dire need of some new prefabs...
I am sure i am missing about a billion modders that would be deserving of a spot working with them directly. So if i missed you or anyone you know of then feel free to piss on me all you want.
I just can't list them all... KK?
On extended hiatus.
Sir Cas Tick

#10 Post by Sir Cas Tick » 29 Nov 2013 21:34

ohaha wrote:Sir Cas Tick

this won't help you make maps or paint-jobs. for those you need the built in map editor and a graphic editing software capable of exporting dds files, respectively.

but objects for interior... that's the ticket
Interesting. I've tried to make a paint job once (for the first time, keep that in mind), got a tool that converted the texture file to PNG, and when I opened this up in my Photoshop Elements 11... there's no way that I can "see" right away what part goes where and how to correctly "split" whatever I want to paint in this file so I thought having this texture on an actual 3D model of the truck (as I saw on the screenshots SCS posted on the blog) would also allow me to paint on it or modify the texture itself somehow.

Then I saw a convenient template which looked much better as everything was laid out in the shape of the truck... but then how the heck would I go from there to the final texture file? Don't tell me you guys are actually copy/pasting/rotating each tiny bit onto the final file to match the "preset" as it is in the default file :shock: Even with the ETS2 studio - I assume this app also expects a "correct" texture file (though could be PNG) with everything in place.

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”