Multiple similar mods

0Artur0

Multiple similar mods

#1 Post by 0Artur0 » 19 Mar 2013 08:14

Just out of curiosity.. what happens if you have installed multiple mods that do the same thing? For example if I install two mods that change the looks of the same gas stations, which one will be active? Will it produce an error?
Flemming V
Global moderator

Re: Multiple similar mods

#2 Post by Flemming V » 19 Mar 2013 08:20

0Artur0 wrote:Just out of curiosity.. what happens if you have installed multiple mods that do the same thing? For example if I install two mods that change the looks of the same gas stations, which one will be active? Will it produce an error?
The last one will overrule the first one.
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 19 Mar 2013 08:24

0Artur0 wrote:what happens if you have installed multiple mods that do the same thing? For example if I install two mods that change the looks of the same gas stations, which one will be active? Will it produce an error?
First, it is not only about "doing the same things". There are many files in "the base", and mods will virtually replace these. Thats what modding in this game is all about. Several files with a certain degree of complexity could be changed by different mods for very different reasons, not only for similar.

But either way, mods are loaded in an alphabetical order (you can verify this order in "game.log"), and the last loaded mod will replace any same file loaded before.

Thats exactly the reason why some mods are named with one or more "z" characters in front - last in the alphabet, last to load, ought to win the competition with other mods.

No error would apply, nor are there any warnings. These clashes with overloaded files will happen all time if your mod folder is well fed.
Last edited by Reinhard on 19 Mar 2013 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
0Artur0

#4 Post by 0Artur0 » 19 Mar 2013 11:43

Ok, I understand now. Thanks!
n4gix

#5 Post by n4gix » 19 Mar 2013 16:04

Even so, I do wish "mod authors" would at least name their mods with something more descriptive than say, "EU Map.scs" which tells me nothing at all about what part of the continent is included in the map... :roll:
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
rado84

#6 Post by rado84 » 19 Mar 2013 21:45

Flemming V wrote:
0Artur0 wrote:Just out of curiosity.. what happens if you have installed multiple mods that do the same thing? For example if I install two mods that change the looks of the same gas stations, which one will be active? Will it produce an error?
What do you mean by "the last one"? So far I discovered that if there are several similar mods for the same thing, the game uses the first one in alphabetical order. If I put two map mods and the first one is named "europe map 12.2.1" (for example) and the other is named "map of europe 2.2", the game will use "europe map 12.2.1" and will ignore "map of europe 2.2".
0Artur0

#7 Post by 0Artur0 » 20 Mar 2013 07:28

rado84 wrote:
Flemming V wrote:
What do you mean by "the last one"? So far I discovered that if there are several similar mods for the same thing, the game uses the first one in alphabetical order. If I put two map mods and the first one is named "europe map 12.2.1" (for example) and the other is named "map of europe 2.2", the game will use "europe map 12.2.1" and will ignore "map of europe 2.2".
Interesting. Why do some put letter "z" in front than?
Flemming V
Global moderator

#8 Post by Flemming V » 20 Mar 2013 09:46

So they are sure that there mods is the one you see.
Z will be read last and last mod is the one working.
Reinhard

#9 Post by Reinhard » 20 Mar 2013 10:15

rado84 wrote:So far I discovered that if there are several similar mods for the same thing, the game uses the first one in alphabetical order. If I put two map mods and the first one is named "europe map 12.2.1" (for example) and the other is named "map of europe 2.2", the game will use "europe map 12.2.1" and will ignore "map of europe 2.2".
Sorry, this isn't true. In your case, either there was a mod not loaded at all, because it wasn't activated in the profile. Or something bad happened on loading of the mod, causing a failure. That's the only explanation I can think of.

1) europe map 12.2.1
2) map of europe 2.2
That's the sequence of loading, and the map of the second will replace the first.

It is always the last mod that wins. Think of the base.scs as the first of several loaded bunch of files. In the following, any same named path-file combination in a mod replaces/overwrites anything loaded before. This is the way it works for many years now, and you would have seen an outcry if it was changed.

Sequence depends on alphabetical order, numerical order, and the order of any other valid letter that is contained in a mod's name. If loading order is important, you should always check the log to be sure. It will contain a list of all loaded mods and tell you any trouble there was in regard of loading the files.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”