How about different vehicles?

Do you like to drive other vehicles in the game?

Only Semi and large trailers
21%
Small and medium trucks eg carrying small items to delivery
29%
Cars and the above
24%
No cars just trucks
26%

Total votes: 94

JrJohn Macarthur

How about different vehicles?

#1 Post by JrJohn Macarthur » 27 Dec 2015 11:47

Since the hardworking developer are creating entire countries it only make sense to include other vehicles in the game! :) Perhaps attract other players from other games who like to drive cars or boats even! :)

Go away this is a truck simulator!
Hope you guys won't be this aggressive but why waste the effort and all the structure to just trucks? Cars and even small trucks would be very logical to have in the game! :) Its like building a massive realistic navy ship in a game and not allowing any character on the navy ship but just Jets.

The recreated world is there with the roads and expanding to include more so why just keep it to massive trucks? :) So much the developer can do with their hard effort cities! :) Just soooo much!

Here is what I read that made me post this!
We would also like to introduce more vehicles into our world than just plain semi-trucks, so work has started on adding alternate gameplay and driving experiences into our simulation system.

So I hope this means cars, small trucks can be in the game so we can drive to those suburbs we long to go too! :)

Have a good Christmas and thank you to the hard working dev in recreating our cities! It will help those who are disable to at least see the virtual city if they can't see it in real life and drive that virtual car, boat, small truck that can drive on a road. :)
Opihi

Re: How about different vehicles?

#2 Post by Opihi » 08 Feb 2016 22:21

Let's be real here!... In the United States even though it's a truck sim yes it is but if you want to be realism and play like a real trucker then you need medium size cars and trucks, fire trucks, ambulance, tow trucks etc.These are essential in realism games.
TwinShadow

#3 Post by TwinShadow » 09 Feb 2016 01:26

Alright, I'll go there. Ahem.. let's see if I get this right...

HURR DURR THIS IS A TRUCK SIMULATOR, NOT A CAR SIMULATOR DURR HURR.

Ok that was pretty terrible.

I'll be serious. The title has "truck" in its title, same with ETS2. Doesn't make any sense to have cars in a truck simulator. I mean, you don't have planes in a train simulator.

However, you would be correct about some of the smaller box trucks that are mainly used for in-city delivery, or maybe across cities depending on distance. Seeing those in the game wouldn't be a bad idea, and I know they hinted at something for it to be included in ETS2, but there's no telling what could be in store for ATS at the moment.

The simulation market is somewhat niche in general. You have the extremely popular Flight Sim franchise (or X-Plane), then there is Train Sim which kinda died when Microsoft never made its sequel which left Dovetail to DLC it to ... heck and back. (which is the complete wrong way to DLC even though you can pick and choose what you want, but I've heard many are broken and never updated anyway) After that, you have the slightly lesser known Ship Simulator series... There are a few others, but those are such a highly niche market that you really only have either cookie cutter devs pushing them out, or the rare one or two that actually are fairly decent.

I could go on, but then I'd be ranting at that point I guess. Well, I technically was, but meh..
RootlessAgrarian

#4 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 09 Feb 2016 04:29

we-e-e-lll. speaking as a new convert to the Cult of ETS2... I do occasionally drive a car-like object modelled on the game trucks, like... (checks mod list) ... there's an Audi RS4 that I've driven around some just for a change. it doesn't handle quite like a real car (it rolls over too easily for a start!) but it's a bit different, accelerates faster, kind of fun.

cars can be used for cargo too -- express couriers for example; so I don't think they inherently contradict the game theme.

ETS2 has been my latest obsession for quite a few weeks now, so I am thinking about it a lot -- why it has such an appeal, why I've become so quickly addicted to it. if I describe the game to other people (especially non-gamers) it doesn't sound all that exciting, does it: "you drive a truck around Europe, picking up and delivering cargoes." and yet, here we all are spending hours playing it, hours modding it, hours discussing it. why is it so special?

I think ETS2 has two great strengths. one it shares with other wildly successful games such as HalfLife and Portal: the user community can extend and expand it. I am sure there are purists who would disagree strongly, but speaking for myself, one of the big features of ETS2 (convincing me to spend money on it) was an expandable world and an active, passionate user community busily adding both territory and detail to that world. ETS2 without ProMods and other map, vehicle, and gameplay extensions would have been far less attractive to me. maybe I'd have bought it anyway, or... maybe not... but given its expandability and the exciting projects always going on among modders, it was a no-brainer: I had to have this game. two it is truly an open world. as far as the world has been mapped, the player can travel at will, making their own decisions. sure, you can campaign to make as much money as possible, hire tons of drivers to make even more money for you, open garages in every city, become the Godfather of Trucking (sort of the "approved path," the premise the game is based on)... or you can just work enough to make gas money to go sightseeing :-)

see, in many other sim games, the world is theoretically "open" -- but the gameplay essentially is not. you can't just wander freely, explore and discover. usually something is trying to kill you, or there are puzzles (defined by the devs) that you have to solve "correctly" in order to progress any further. my favourite thing about ETS2 is that, once you have got through the "tutorial" phase, you get a pretty wide choice of QuickJobs; it doesn't take too long to acquire some skill points so you can take the kinds of jobs you prefer (for me these would be long-haul), then to own your own truck (but you can still take QuickJobs if you like), and then you can easily explore the world at your pace, with your priorities.

there is no "solve this puzzle in 4 minutes or the world gets blown up" foolishness. no one is trying to massacre you or destroy your truck. you don't have to consort with criminals, lowlifes, or zombies :-) you don't have to shoot anyone, steal anything, or collect seven magic symbols to open the Great Gate of Whatsis. you just drive around exploring this (sometimes stunningly beautiful) world, doing a bit of navigating and strategic planning, essentially taking a long scenic road trip! plus learning to park a trailer :-)

this is why I love this game so much. the devs don't tell you what you should be doing. they don't set up stupid little tests that you have to keep solving, like school exams. they just built a very attractive, large, interesting world and invited you to come and travel around in it, obeying minimal (and familiar) traffic rules and hauling cargo to earn some money for gas. sometimes I campaign "seriously", making sure I use my road time wisely, calculating my sleep periods for efficiency, determined to get that cargo there ahead of schedule and save up money for a better truck. other times I just kick back, change profiles, and drive around checking out the coolness of the world. I really like having that choice.

the most open driving game I can recall offhand is Need for Speed, another classic in which you could stick with the official theme and campaign (the usual rather sordid stuff involving criminals and guns and so on) or you could ignore all that and just drive around enjoying the (for the time) remarkably good scenery and biggish world. I wish NfS were available for the Mac, but it ain't. I first acquired ETS1 because it sounded like an "open driving game" and hey, I've driven some large moving trucks in my day and enjoyed it. so I gave it a try as a substitute for NfS. and now I'm hooked! so it's not all about the trucks (for me). it's not about the cargoes even, though I do enjoy the really unusual, cool-looking trailers. it's not about amassing imaginary money (yaaaawn, how boring is that?)... it's about the exploring, the sense of wonder and discovery, the quirky romance of loading docks and quarries at 3am... it's about taking a virtual road trip in Europe (wow!), the openness of the world, the "free will" of the player, the size of the world (huge and getting bigger!), and of course the eye candy: the beautiful landscapes and light effects.

so, having said all that, yes I'm all in favour of having some alternative vehicles in ETS2. even truckers get a day off now and then and take a motorcycle ride through the mountains :-) or if we really have to stay in strict theme, how'bout the people who deliver vehicles for dealers and purchasers? you could take a contract to drive a very nice car from dealer in city X to purchaser in city Y, with huge penalties for the slightest scratch on the paint work :-)

but I think it would be cool to be able to drive a "civilian" car now and then, or even ride a bicycle, through the marvelous world of ETS2. I wish I could get out of my truck and walk around (well I can with the god-cam, but it would be nice to have a realistic walking POV and be able to take a little stroll around at the rest stops). I often wish I could slow down (to cycling speed maybe?) and really savour some of those great views that are whizzing by. ETS2 is almost a virtual tourism game; it wouldn't take much more detail in the city centres to make it attractive to the average person who just wants to explore Europe.

in fact, I hazard a guess that there will be a market -- if not this very minute, soon -- for open world simulators of great tourist destinations. I know I, for one, would pay good money for a *really* accurate, detailed, 3d, open, explorable sim of Angkor Wat, the Louvre, St Pauls, the Kremlin, the Great Pyramid, Machu Pichu, the Forbidden City etc. maybe that makes me weird? I dunno. travel just gets more and more expensive and less fun every year; and the graphical quality of sim games is getting darned close to theatrical movie releases. I think that the more open the world is the wider the appeal will be... ETS2's "virtual Europe" may be just the start of the next really big trend in gameware. I suspect there's a large potential market of people with pretty good computer hardware who are too old (or just not interested enough) to hone their reflexes for laser-gun shootouts with imaginary badguys, but might really get into virtual tourism. I could be wrong... time will tell.

sorry to ramble on at such length... but I was just having this same conversation with a friend today, trying to analyze exactly what is so very compelling about ETS2 and why I am "wasting" a couple of hours a night on it which I have never done with any other computer game, ever... so these thoughts are fresh in my mind. disclaimer: I may not be at all representative of the average ETS2 player. and as always on the road, ymmv.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)
FelipeNobrega

#5 Post by FelipeNobrega » 24 Jun 2016 02:34

I'd love small and medium trucks, vans etc. It would profit from the current game system and it would bring another experience to the players. For this, bigger cities is essential (another thing I'd love to experience).
We'd have another look, you know. Park along the streets, travel to suburbs, tighter delivery times, face daily traffic, multiple delivery, etc. Man I'd pay for it, really.

Hope SCS consider these options.
I support the idea of cars, but small, medium trucks and vans would be more appreciated and adequated for the game's theme.
JrJohn Macarthur

#6 Post by JrJohn Macarthur » 04 Jul 2016 07:04

It has shown in other games that offering lots of good quality varieties of things to do will help players not get bored. Cause once you finished all the task in Euro truck sim you basically seen it all and there is nothing left to do. So big thank you to RootlessAgrarian and Feli who can see there is more to the game then just trucks.

SCS is the only developer that has tried to create a scale down realistic city to drive in and it be such a waste to just not open up to other driving features? So much land and roads and be so good it can be expanded because i did read long ago that posters were wanting more local roads in the game when Euro truck 1 came out. And just look at the Pro mods and see the extension of what others have done to keep the game interesting.

Also the truck simulator has got far more players then arcade open world games because players can do what they want in the game with out being told what to do. You can drive around in an arcade game and get bored fast because it just all the same missions and not much to see. But in the truck sim so many road and areas to see and explore because it not just about taking cargo from point A to B it is the sight seeing that keeps players so interested with challenging new environment and roads.

The truck sim could even be played like a racing game one day once more roads are added for smaller cars. :) There is just so much things you could add to the game and still it be a good truck cargo simulator.
plykkegaard

#7 Post by plykkegaard » 04 Jul 2016 07:14

IIRC there's an Octavia mod out there which gives a nice driving experience, why wait for SCS? Check it out :P
Yeah multiple delivery points and tight schedules could be a nice improvement
But well too little free time and too many assets to create I barely have time to drive around and enjoy the world :mrgreen:

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
DavidOC93

#8 Post by DavidOC93 » 22 Aug 2016 02:08

Yes I would love if they added more vehicles into ATS and ETS2, vans, smaller box trucks and cars would be great. I really hope they add a few cars to ATS and ETS2. Cars can be used for cargo too you know, they can pull trailers. Ya sure this is a truck simulator but what would be the harm in having a few cars in it aswell. It would be great. Why not make edit some of the AI cars to make them driveable.
karlcroll

#9 Post by karlcroll » 27 Feb 2017 02:57

I saw a mod a while back for a Kenworth W900 heavy wrecker, and they added in trucks to tow. I think something like that would be really cool.

I'd also like to see them expand on the "running your company" aspect. Maybe compete with other AI companies to get exclusive contracts and such, or building your reputation enough for certain companies to let you haul their cargo.
flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 09 Jan 2018 06:46

JazzyCats painted AI truck mod suits me quite well. It has those trucks mentioned above in it. Although they can not be driven, this is not SCS's intend to provide a driving experience like that. It's a truck sim. The term is meant for semi trucks. I will pass on anything outside that intent.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”