Use face tracking ability for adding more depth to the game

seekil

Use face tracking ability for adding more depth to the game

#1 Post by seekil » 20 Dec 2012 16:13

Hello.

First post on the just opened SCS Software forums, thank you for this SCS Software :)

I've been playing Euro truck simulator 2 for a while now with added immersion extra.
By using webcam it is possible to transmit data from one's head position directly to the game itself and by this
allowing looking to different directions more naturally than using mouse or keyboard.

In short: what is needed is a webcam, the program called FaceTrackNoIR from: http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm, that transmits the data for the game, and some time for setting up.

I made sometime ago a video explaining how the setup is made with few steps to consider before one can start using the functionality.
I've gathered the information to a single video that takes some two minutes of your time to watch (if you get every bit of information watching through first time :) )

Setting up video (updated 24/02/2013 to FaceTrackNoIR v170 standard) -> http://youtu.be/k6s6axA-mP0

I'm leaving the write out on how to do the setting up for now in hopes that the video will do it.
But if there's anything with the video or setting up, please feel free to ask here or in the Comments section of the video.

To my knowledge this setup works also with other SCS Software truck games (at least German Truck and Scania Truck driving simulators) and many other games that support face tracking in general.

As of 20/02/2013
-A new version of FaceTrackNoIR has been released for the public. Version is in beta stage and goes by the version name 170.
Even though the program is in beta stage I encourage everyone to switch to the just published, newer version for it contains a lot of new features and not to mention the newly designed Curve-configurator for easier use.

With the release of the new version I uninstalled everything that had anything to do with FaceTrackNoIR v160 and made a fresh install with the Full Installer v170 (see the FaceTrackNoIR Downloads-section for the new version).

Just to test out the new functions with the program I created a setup specifically for Euro Truck Simulator 2.
See the following pictures to help You get started:

edit 30th of July, 2020: example pictures removed due to them becoming obsolete as examples already a long time ago

Greetings
Seekil
Last edited by seekil on 30 Jul 2020 08:51, edited 4 times in total.
ksrele

Re: Use face tracking ability for adding more depth to the g

#2 Post by ksrele » 20 Dec 2012 16:56

Thank you man for this video!
I have heard for this program before but I didn't make it to work with the game.
Thank you again.

And one offtopic question: can you send me that sound of your truck. I think that it is not default sound, is it?
seekil

#3 Post by seekil » 20 Dec 2012 17:07

ksrele wrote:Thank you man for this video!
I have heard for this program before but I didn't make it to work with the game.
Thank you again.

And one offtopic question: can you send me that sound of your truck. I think that it is not default sound, is it?
Thank you for saying Thank you!

The sound of the truck is default! :D Haven't had the need to mod the game out to this day.
Vencto

#4 Post by Vencto » 21 Dec 2012 11:15

I downloaded it last night but I can't understand how you can control it? I mean, I've set it up, it works totally but how do I slow this thing down? It seems every milimeter movement of my head the camera shoots from left to right and up and down :P .. What do I need to change for lowering the speed of the camera movement :P and how raise the view I need to tilt my head all the time for normal view.
seekil

#5 Post by seekil » 21 Dec 2012 14:56

Vencto wrote:I downloaded it last night but I can't understand how you can control it? I mean, I've set it up, it works totally but how do I slow this thing down? It seems every milimeter movement of my head the camera shoots from left to right and up and down :P .. What do I need to change for lowering the speed of the camera movement :P and how raise the view I need to tilt my head all the time for normal view.
Glad to hear you got it to work! :)

Setting examples in this post are for older FaceTrackNoIR version 160
What comes to the movement of the camera:
give these a try (these were in the video's description at number 5)

5 FaceTrackNoIR settings for ETS2 (suggested)
Use these for starters and fine tune to your liking. Adjust your settings like in the pictures:

Main page:
[ external image ]
Curve settings:
[ external image ]
Last edited by seekil on 24 Feb 2013 09:28, edited 6 times in total.
Vencto

#6 Post by Vencto » 22 Dec 2012 18:21

seekil wrote:
Vencto wrote:I downloaded it last night but I can't understand how you can control it? I mean, I've set it up, it works totally but how do I slow this thing down? It seems every milimeter movement of my head the camera shoots from left to right and up and down :P .. What do I need to change for lowering the speed of the camera movement :P and how raise the view I need to tilt my head all the time for normal view.
Glad to hear you got it to work! :)

What comes to the movement of the camera:
give these a try (these were in the video's description at number 5)

5 FaceTrackNoIR settings for ETS2 (suggested)
Use these for starters and fine tune to your liking. Adjust your settings like in the pictures:

Main page http://imageshack.us/f/11/ets2ftnmain.jpg/
Curve settings: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/54 ... urves.jpg/
Thanks but your settings are WAY too sensitive for my PS3 eye :P I'm still struggling a bit but I'm almost there :)
When I have my ideal settings I'll upload them here too so you can see :)
RickDeckard

#7 Post by RickDeckard » 23 Dec 2012 09:22

That is awesome! Many thanks for sharing and giving the instructions how to get it work!
I'll buy a webcam just for this and (hopefully) make it work when I'm back home in January.

Just curious: which webcam do you use?
seekil

#8 Post by seekil » 23 Dec 2012 10:45

RickDeckard wrote:That is awesome! Many thanks for sharing and giving the instructions how to get it work!
I'll buy a webcam just for this and (hopefully) make it work when I'm back home in January.

Just curious: which webcam do you use?
And I thank sf4JC and vici30 for the constructive discussion at "FaceTrackNoIR Sourceforge discussion" regarding setting up FaceTrackNoIR that made possible for me in the first place to start using this alternate method of face tracking.

I'm using PSEye camera, version that came with the Playstation Move Starter Pack.
Psykoen

#9 Post by Psykoen » 31 Dec 2012 17:18

:( dosent work for me. the ipp installer is not compatible with windows 8 :(
trekxor

#10 Post by trekxor » 31 Dec 2012 18:34

I got this one to work (Win 7 64bit)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eviacam/?source=dlp
not brilliantly though

Return to “General discussion about the game”