Logitech Rumblepad 2

Penguin

Logitech Rumblepad 2

#1 Post by Penguin » 16 Jan 2013 17:24

I enjoy playing with gamepad. The truck driving feeling is absolutely okay and navigating the trailers works fine. A gamepad is quite handy and easy to store in a drawer when I don't play. Whoever plays with keyboard should think about a change. :-)
Maybe the following picture, showing my gamepad configuration, can encourage some of you to use your gamepad with manual shifting. I can recommend it, it's a lot of fun!

[ external image ]
Last edited by Penguin on 18 May 2013 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
qanadin

Re: Logitech Rumblepad 2

#2 Post by qanadin » 21 Jan 2013 01:34

So I have a question for you Penguin. When using your controller how do you have it set so that you don't have to always have to hold what gear you are in.? When I tried it was forcing me to hold the gear I wanted to use while I was attempting to drive. I currently use a PS3 controller, for which I don't use a full manual gearing, but would like to.
Penguin

#3 Post by Penguin » 21 Jan 2013 19:38

Just set the clutch axis mode on "Inverted" and set the clutch axis deadzone step by step on that point where the clutch level (the orange line) is invisible the first time (it should be a bit more than a half).

If you still have probs - pls. don't hesitate to post again.
matt1314

#4 Post by matt1314 » 19 Jul 2013 12:28

Haha, I use the same gamepad but I use button 8 to accelerate and button 7 to brake. :)
Max
SCS Software

#5 Post by Max » 19 Jul 2013 12:52

qanadin wrote:So I have a question for you Penguin. When using your controller how do you have it set so that you don't have to always have to hold what gear you are in.? When I tried it was forcing me to hold the gear I wanted to use while I was attempting to drive. I currently use a PS3 controller, for which I don't use a full manual gearing, but would like to.
if you want use h-shifter setting (with clutch axis), you can still shift by buttons.
as real shift happens only if you have clutch fully disconected, you can shift this way: pressing button, disconnecting clutch, connecting clutch and then you can release the button.
even if you do not hold gear button as long as you do not disconnect clutch again gearbox won't shift to neutral.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
MarzEz

#6 Post by MarzEz » 11 Aug 2013 10:40

I use a Logitech Gamepad as well. Not the Rumble, although it has the same controls.

My button assignments:
[ external image ]

I'm a lazy person and drive in True Auto mode. (Although I plan to get myself a wheel with H-shifter at some point int he distant future, which will change that.)

Only problem I find with it is that I can't seem to find a "Linear Steering" setting in-game that feels comfortable.
aderek

#7 Post by aderek » 21 Sep 2013 06:28

I use a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 setup for a sequential shifting without using a clutch. I play with force feedback turned off to save on battery life.

My "Steering Sensitivity" is just below half and the "Steering Non-Linearity" is at full. I also have my "Steering Deadzone" set all the way down. This is as twitchy as I can stand it for driving but it can still make some sharp intersection turns a pain. As with all controllers backing can be somewhat of a pain because you can never tell exactly how far the wheel is turning until you move the truck.

Current Controller Setup:

1&2: Shift up/down
3&4: retarder increase/decrease
5&6: left/right blinkers
7&8: brake/accelerate
9&10: map/enter key
D-pad: up: lights
down: wipers
left: lean-out camera
right: interior look right

Left stick:
X-axis: steer
Y-axis: accelerate/brake
Button: Interior Camera

Right stick:
Z-axis: head look left-right
Z-rotate: head look up-down
Button: cruise
Penguin

#8 Post by Penguin » 03 Oct 2013 13:38

Maybe some of you remember my homemade gamepad with steering wheel.
In that very first attempt I opened my rumblepad and built in a 270° potentiometer which allowed turning 135° to left and same to right. For me that was not satisfying.
My idea was a 3-turn potentiometer but it was too hard to get (a cheap) one. Nevertheless I got a used 5-turn poti which for me was acceptable 'cause old trucks have had - as I believe - 5 turns (1800°) in total: Two and a half in each direction. But I was sceptical if there was enough space in the gamepad case to take such a big poti. A few weeks ago finally I gave it a try and after finishing I have to admit it was a bit tricky. But it works!
The visual impression on the pics is that of a prototype. With more efforts it could look better. For me it was just an experiment so my aim wasn't perfect appearance.

How does it feel? Well, steering is quite smooth, but it's not perfect. Slight movements could be a bit finer. And of course turning the wheel can't be synchronous with the wheel on the screen 'cause the ETS2 trucks simulate 900° in total. Finally I have to add that the steering has - of course - no force feedback, that means turning has nearly no physical resistance. I can compare it with a force feedback steering wheel which is out of power.
In the following some pics.

P.S.: Please don't see this thread as any kind of instruction - it's just a report.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

And if you'd like to see a video of such an old truck where the driver is turning the wheel as hell (watch from point 4:40): EDIT PENGUIN: PIC-LINKS WERE BROKEN. NEW PIC-LINKS CREATED.
Last edited by Reef on 28 Aug 2016 21:31, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Brought post within forum guidelines by uploading images to an imagehoster and embedding them and removing the attachment images.
Death Metal

#9 Post by Death Metal » 26 Dec 2013 03:24

Penguim, that is such a cool project you got there! :)
adrian007

#10 Post by adrian007 » 28 Dec 2013 23:16

Hi ppl following the advice given in this forum I lashed out and got a Logitech rumble pad ( F310) and have got to admit am pretty impressed so far still getting the hang of parking the trailer and oversteer suspect it's a case of trial and error couldn't get my Xbox controller to work as I have the wireless variety and am not going to fork out $70 odd dollars when the gamepad is only $19!
I find it very convenient to use the game pad for the aforementioned reasons so once again thanks all .
Regards
Adrian 8-)

Return to “Joystick/joypad”