Logitech Rumblepad 2

M.Kool

Re: Logitech Rumblepad 2

#11 Post by M.Kool » 03 Aug 2014 13:56

What are your sensitivity, non-linearity and dead zone settings?
Penguin

#12 Post by Penguin » 08 Aug 2014 18:41

M.Kool wrote:What are your sensitivity, non-linearity and dead zone settings?
Sensitivity: 50%
Non-linearity: 100%
Deadzone: 0%
M.Kool

#13 Post by M.Kool » 09 Aug 2014 08:23

Penguin wrote: Sensitivity: 50%
Non-linearity: 100%
Deadzone: 0%
Doesn't that make steering feel super unrealistic for you?

Also how do you deal with the really hard turns suddenly? I tried with those settings and it felt too choppy, not smooth at all...
Penguin

#14 Post by Penguin » 10 Aug 2014 18:17

M.Kool wrote:Doesn't that make steering feel super unrealistic for you?
Well, after trying a lot, these are the settings I feel most comfortable with.

I try to be not too strict concerning realistic steering behavior: The SCS map has a couple of sharp bends on highways which are not realistic so it must not be my aim to drive through all these bends in high-precision (although I drive quite good).

Another point is that some players forget that they drive a heavy truck with tons of load and think they can drive it like a car. Of course this doesn't work: You can't always trust the truck speed limit in the advisor and have to decelerate where necessary just as a real truck driver.
And don't forget the in-game low bed trailers with all the vehicle-loads: These trailers are prepared for a maximum speed of 70 km/h. I'm very curious about the upcoming new trailers with helicopter, yacht and other fragil load which will enforce careful driving. Doing this, I can ensure precise driving is quite easy.

Some details about my steering settings:

With 50% sensitivity the truck steering reacts prompt to my gamepad steering but same time isn't too nervous.

100% non-linearity seems unusual but for highest possible precision at high speed I need a very fine range left and right from the steering center for slightest corrections.

0% dead zone: Maybe this is a question of personal taste.
I feel comfortable with a (small) dead zone but I get it "automatically" by a high value of non-linearity so for me no need to set it explicit.

I tried with those settings and it felt too choppy
My experience is: the ingame steering wheel itself sometimes looks a bit choppy while turning (compared to a gamepad in "gamepad-mode"). BUT the truck behaviour doesn't feel as choppy so it doesn't disturb me. Nevertheless you're right: It's a bit choppy and I'm still not sure about the reason.

Please check if you can improve the gamepad steering by calibration. Without calibration I get bad results.
thebigbadonion

#15 Post by thebigbadonion » 10 Aug 2014 19:30

That's a nice little project you have there with the wheel in place of the stick, very inventive :D

Personally, I use an Xbox 360 controller for the game. It's layout is very similar to the Logitech ones (even though its a different shape) This is how I have it set up. I just use sequential gears rather than trying to map an H shifter to the buttons, which means buttons are free for other fairly important driving functions.

[ external image ]
M.Kool

#16 Post by M.Kool » 11 Aug 2014 08:03

@ thebigbadonion

How do you use those rear buttons for accelerate/brake? I mean I get that they're good in some situation, but you always hit the pedal to the metal?
Beck86

#17 Post by Beck86 » 09 Jan 2015 00:17

I have this controller and I'm trying to get it to work. I want to set button 2 for accelerate and 1 for brake then r and l front top buttons for turning signals etc. But I have gone through all the settings and it won't let me set those to the specific controls. What do I do any suggestions?
Penguin

Re: Experimental Logitech Rumblepad 2

#18 Post by Penguin » 20 Apr 2015 17:17

News from my experimental gamepad:
Over the years I became more and more frustrated about the missing precision in my left joystick which I use for Acceleration, Brake and Clutch: The stick's range in all directions is so small that smooth movements were quite hard and truck movements often felt unrealistic. This weekend I decided to try something new and so far I have to say: Success! It's much more fun now.

It was quite simple: I took some glue, fixed a cap on top of the stick and by doing this I got a higher leverage. Now I have a far better range: Gear shifting process takes longer (just like it should!), smoother accelerating and braking (!) is much easier.
Last edited by Centrino2 on 22 Apr 2015 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use a image host [Rule 3.2]
thebigbadonion

#19 Post by thebigbadonion » 20 Apr 2015 20:27

Looks like a pretty cool project, although not sure I could get on with it tbh :lol:
M.Kool wrote:@ thebigbadonion

How do you use those rear buttons for accelerate/brake? I mean I get that they're good in some situation, but you always hit the pedal to the metal?

Late reply, but nvm :lol:

I've been using the 360 and ps3 controllers for years, on both the consoles, and for pc gaming, you just get used to controlling how much pressure you put on the triggers. I don't even really think about it, but it feels super natural to me. Although, I don't use it for ETS 2 anymore, bought my self a wheel since then :D
San_Sany4

#20 Post by San_Sany4 » 22 Jun 2016 16:07

[ external image ]

Here's my setup. Same for ATS. Playing it since January '16, before was KB+mouse for steering. Had to get used to F310 but after a couple of hours I don't want anything else (well, maybe except G29 :) ) I use sequential gearbox so key for Neutral gear is very useful. Also I'm thinking of switching CC buttons to something else because I can keep my speed nicely with triggers so I almost never use CC now.
My World of Trucks profile. My Steam profile.
ETS2 since 1.4, ATS since 1.0. Vanilla player.

Return to “Joystick/joypad”