joysticks in game

Kylezorr

joysticks in game

#1 Post by Kylezorr » 08 Aug 2014 23:38

I am thinking about getting a joystick to improve the steering feel in game and i was looking at the speedlink black widow, does ets2 support flight sim joysticks?
I have poured the internet to try and find an answer for this but have had little success
Would i be able to accelerate with what i assume is the thrust lever and turn smoothly with the joystick?
jarvik79

Re: joysticks in game

#2 Post by jarvik79 » 09 Aug 2014 06:50

Out of interest, unless you play a lot of flight simulators as well, why would you get a joystick instead of a steering wheel/pedal set?
Axel Slingerland

#3 Post by Axel Slingerland » 09 Aug 2014 07:27

Kylezorr wrote:Would i be able to accelerate with what i assume is the thrust lever and turn smoothly with the joystick?
You can set it up in the game to make the buttons act as accelerator and brake, or you can assign acceleration and braking to the stick so pushing the stick forward makes it move forward and pulling back makes it slow down. I would strongly recommend a wheel or a gamepad instead of a joystick. Joysticks are great for flight sims, not so good for driving... You can get a Logitech gamepad for about $15.00 to $25.00 on Amazon or Newegg that would be much better than a joystick.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Wolfi
Beta tester

#4 Post by Wolfi » 09 Aug 2014 11:11

I do have a joystic for flight sims although using it in a truck simulator is so uncomfortable that I swithced back to my keyboard.
Sure you can assign throttle to acceleration and it isn't that bad really, although in that case you have to operate the joystick with both hands which isn't very comfy. As with a steering wheel for example you can steer with one hand while the other is used to change gears or operate the mouse for smooth cab view.
I agree with Ax a gamepad is alot better option...
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
alessio

#5 Post by alessio » 09 Aug 2014 11:34

I use a joystick as I came from flight simulator. It's not so bad after a while, as I can control steering, acceleration and braking proportionally just using the stick. I use main stick buttons for retarder activation/disabling and blinkers activation. The hat button is also useful to change left/right visual. Other pedistal buttons are used to change navigator zoom and pages.
thebigbadonion

#6 Post by thebigbadonion » 09 Aug 2014 11:47

Personally, I just use a game pad Xbox 360 wireless controller. It works quite well for driving, with the analogue triggers, for steering and acceleration, and the extra stick which allows you to look around easily . Not as good as a steering wheel of course, but it's also a fraction of the price, and works great on most games. If your not going to get a wheel, I would recommend a pad over a joystick. They're not that great for driving games imo. Pads are a nice cheap solution, as long as you get a decent qaulity one such as the xbox 360, or one of the logitech pads. Stay away from those cheap ones though, they're awful :lol:
Kylezorr

#7 Post by Kylezorr » 09 Aug 2014 23:55

Thanks for the replies guys..
I already have a xbox gamepad so I'll see how that goes when i configure that tomorrow. As for the questions about a steering wheel i do not have the room for the complete rig else i would not hesitate to get one.
Axel Slingerland

#8 Post by Axel Slingerland » 10 Aug 2014 08:53

I would say that Xbox controller is your best bet, specially since you already have it. I got a screamin' deal on a Logitech G27 otherwise I would still be using my Logitech Dual Action Gamepad. And I actually do still use it anyway because ETS2 allows multiple controllers. I use it for parking, looking around, and speed pre-sets for the ACC. For some reason, I just can't seem to get the hang of parking with the wheel yet.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
thebigbadonion

#9 Post by thebigbadonion » 10 Aug 2014 13:02

When you configure your 360 controller, set the dead zones for the sticks about a quarter of the way up the slider, or the steering will be far too sensitive, any slight waggle will register. Other than that though, it works really well, I've been using it since I first started playing the game. I considered getting a wheel a few times, but they're expensive, But I aso feel why bother getting a cheaper one like a driving force, when the G27 is the ideal one, and I can't really justify the cost right now for one game. Although it would be good on shift, F1 and other racing games, so maybe one day :D
weejock

#10 Post by weejock » 17 Aug 2014 02:01

I wheel the best for truck simulator is the steering wheel Logitech Driving Force Steering Wheel

Return to “Joystick/joypad”