How to use a Logitech Extrem 3D Pro Joystick as a H-Shifter?

Xime

How to use a Logitech Extrem 3D Pro Joystick as a H-Shifter?

#1 Post by Xime » 03 Apr 2015 09:21

I always play ETS2 with my Logitech Driving Force GT in Secuential mode, it's great and I enjoy the game a lot. But I'm looking for something more, so I want to use my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro as a H-Shifter. I've been looking everywhere for a solution but I only found a tutorial for a WingMan Force 3D Joystick, with Force Feedback (not my case), using a program called FF-Shifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsECtHSRzBU

I've seen some that can use my joystick type but only one of them explain his setup and he plays with keyboard instead of steering wheel. I tried his way but I have no shifter ingame when I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5bcYlZLe9s

Any of you are using this joystick as a H-Shifter? Maybe another joystick withour FF?

Thank you very much and sorry for my english.
Leen

Re: How to use a Logitech Extrem 3D Pro Joystick as a H-Shif

#2 Post by Leen » 03 Apr 2015 12:36

With FF-Shifter it wil work real good but mine 3D pro joystick became more and more hotter till it died, the FF engines will work but something on the printboard is overheated and broke.
supric

#3 Post by supric » 03 Apr 2015 13:07

I'm using Logitech Force 3D Pro. Works fine.

A while ago i made setup for one guy, he had a joystick without FFB. It works good too (but don't fixed in positions, of course).
Xime

#4 Post by Xime » 03 Apr 2015 16:31

Thank you for your answers.

Leen, when I try to select my device in FF-Shifter it doesn't appear, only my driving force gt (I put the joystick as a favourite device in control panel). How do you got that?

Supric, I'm glad you can play fine with the same joystick as mine, but you can share your knowledge with me or here with comunity? Or maybe you can tell me what's wrong with the second video of my first message. He use Xpadder and setup all the stuff in Input Wizard -> H-Shifter -> Range.

Here is my setup. As I said, when I start ingame I have no shifter.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Last edited by Centrino2 on 03 Apr 2015 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use a image host [Rule 3.2]
supric

#5 Post by supric » 03 Apr 2015 18:10

Xime wrote:Leen, when I try to select my device in FF-Shifter it doesn't appear, only my driving force gt (I put the joystick as a favourite device in control panel). How do you got that?
Extreme 3D Pro joy don't fave FFB. Force 3D Pro have it (and DFGT too). That's why you can't see your joy in FFShifter software.
Supric, I'm glad you can play fine with the same joystick as mine, but you can share your knowledge with me or here with comunity? Or maybe you can tell me what's wrong with the second video of my first message. He use Xpadder and setup all the stuff in Input Wizard -> H-Shifter -> Range.

Here is my setup. As I said, when I start ingame I have no shifter.
Sorry, i don't kept those old messages. But you can setup joystick manually right in controls.sii file, look here: http://eurotrucksimulator2.com/input_config.php

For example, my splitter setup (for Iveco ZF scheme):
config_lines[243]: "mix gearsel1on `gte(joy2.x, 0.4)`"
config_lines[244]: "mix gearsel1off `lte(joy2.x, -0.4)`"
Move joy a little to left turns on 1-2-3-4 paddle, move a little to the right turns on 5-6-7-8 paddle.

About your current problem... hmmmm... maybe you need to press clutch? H-shifter changing gears ONLY when clutch is pressed.
Xime

#6 Post by Xime » 08 Apr 2015 07:36

Oh! My bad! I forgot to assign the clutch! Now I active it pressing the joystick crosshead while gear shift... it works now! Anyway I'll try your advice too.

Thank you so much mate. :D
Martijn

#7 Post by Martijn » 29 Aug 2015 10:26

how did you asign it al in Xpadder because i dont understand the program...
ADONIS69

#8 Post by ADONIS69 » 01 Dec 2015 15:46

OK guys,
this is an old topic but I have a question.

Since there are no FFB Joysticks on the market anymore, ANY joystick would be OK for h-shifter or I have to get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro?

I know that a non FFB Joystick cannot stay on place, but well, we cannot satisfy all :)

So, please tell me if ANY joystick would be working as H-Shifter or I have to get the Extreme 3D.

By the way, now with the 1.22 version we don't need a clutch pedal or button, ETS2 can assign the clutch by itself, so is good time for a shifter:) . I have a very cheap steering wheel because here in my country a Logitech G27 new is 399 Euro and G920 is 499 Euro.

I look forward for your help.

thanx
Cadde

#9 Post by Cadde » 01 Dec 2015 20:25

First of all, there's plenty of FFB sticks on the market today. They just don't exist in the retailers and distributors any more because FFB joysticks are too much of a niche market nowadays.
The problem with most FFB sticks is that they are simply not good enough for the users who would use them. For instance, my G940 is really horrible. It has really low frequency in the updates it gets which makes it shake itself to pieces if you try doing anything with precision.
Add to that the overheating issues and poor resolution in general (both FFB strength and potentiometer/sensor accuracy) and you get something that can hardly be used for anything serious.

Secondly, you don't actually have to have FFB to make a shifter. You can turn any joystick into a shifter if you modify it slightly (physically) but the amount of work you will put into that isn't worth it IMHO.

If you ask me, it's better to get yourself a shifter suited for the purpose. They don't cost that much comparatively speaking to the amount of work (and possible loss of device) involved in turning a joystick into a "proper" shifter.
If you don't want to buy a shifter you could also make your own quite easily if you have tools for it. I don't have the tools for such a project so i bought a Thrustmaster TH8A shifter and i LOVE it.
On extended hiatus.
R0adrunner

#10 Post by R0adrunner » 01 Dec 2015 20:54

+1 for the TH8A. Just got me one last weekend and it's sure a fine piece of solid heavy metal :D However i do not use it (at least yet) for ETS, but in analog mode as a handbrake mainly in DIRT Rally.

I'm afraid i'm useless regarding the ffb joystick question, but if you ever consider getting a shifter i'd say go for the TH8A. It's very versatile too, as you can use it as a sequential shifter in addition to the H-shifter layout + in analog mode if required.
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page

Return to “Joystick/joypad”