Useful Button Mapping Ideas - Any Wheel Setup

elnino

Useful Button Mapping Ideas - Any Wheel Setup

#1 Post by elnino » 02 Jan 2020 03:54

Once in awhile i come across a button mapping that just feels like a perfect match - stuff like using paddle shifters for turn signals (if you have H shifter of course) but that's rather obvious. Tonight I came across a new one that had me wiondering what else folks have come up with.

Wipers/Wiper back. If you have a momentary toggle switch on your wheel or elsewhere, with two buttons on the same dial turning left or right (mine is on a thrustmaster TS-PC wheel)- or even just a rotary encoder on a button box, this works great for this. turn one way to increase wiper speed, turn the other way to decrease, or turn off. Previously i was using a single wiper button, which felt way less realistic.

Also, on one of my button boxes, I wired up an external toggle switch with a long wire so i could mount it next to my H-shifter. I use this for high/low range, and can reach it with my thumb while holding the shifter (g27 shifter still)

Not groundbreaking stuff I know but you get the idea. I'm curious what clever mappings everyone has come up with that feel like a nice find.
natvander
SCS Software

Re: Useful Button Mapping Ideas - Any Wheel Setup

#2 Post by natvander » 02 Jan 2020 08:30

If you use Joy2Key you can assign multiple keys to the same button/paddle etc. So a button convenient for wiper operation can be used to both turn on and off the wipers (tap to turn on, hold to turn off).

I personally use two small 4 way joysticks attached to my thrustmaster wheel which controls indicators, wipers, auto transmission functions and retarder functions along with two home made button boxes for all other functions.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
elnino

Re: Useful Button Mapping Ideas - Any Wheel Setup

#3 Post by elnino » 24 Jul 2020 15:15

@natvander That is a good idea. I've used joy2key in the past but at some point stopped using it to simplify my setup a bit, but I could see that being really useful to save on a few buttons. thanks! I've also tried the "extra numberpad as an additional controller" option but for myself it becomes too much to remember (I'm using VR) since I generally sit down to drive only once in awhile these days.

Return to “Steering wheel + pedals”