How to map auto/sequential gear shift controls for realistic behavior?

Winchester1979

How to map auto/sequential gear shift controls for realistic behavior?

#1 Post by Winchester1979 » 11 Apr 2020 16:02

I just bought my first wheel, an ancient Logitech Driving Force I got for a song, but it still works and more importantly Logitech's new software still accepts it and lets me use it in the game.

Even before I bought the wheel though I've been wanting to figure out how to map the gearbox controls in the game for some more realistic behavior though, because the current way SCS has them work isn't quite right.

In a real truck, if the gearbox is set to automatic, you can still force the gearbox to shift up or down using the same controls as in manual mode. In the game, as far as I can tell SCS has separated this functionality out as "gear shift hint up/down", while the regular gear shift mapping always shifts from reverse to neutral to drive or vice versa. Even if you map the "gear shift up" and "gear shift down" functions to the same controls as "gear shift hint up" and "gear shift hint down", what will happen the moment you shift down in auto mode is that the truck will go into neutral, instead of just dropping from A10 to A9 or whatever it was you really wanted.

I want to know if there's a way to fix this using mode switching or something - basically, making a button on the wheel switch not just the gearbox from auto to manual and vice versa, but also swap the mapping of the paddles from "shift up/down" to "shift hint up/down" at the same time.

Anyone have a clue whether this is possible, or how to go about it?
EricF

Re: How to map auto/sequential gear shift controls for realistic behavior?

#2 Post by EricF » 13 Oct 2020 16:48

I've been using a DFGT wheel and wondered exactly the same thing. There doesn't seem to be a way to make the sequential shifter button mapping do double-duty for the shift "hint" function.

So I went with the other option that's present on some trucks -- if you look a the wheel controls or dashboards of some of them, you'll see shift +/- buttons. I mapped two keys to do the shift hint. I also have and Elgato Stream Deck (A configurable "softkey" box) that I use as a "button box" for ETS2/ATS. So I then assigned those keys to the Stream Deck profile, complete with appropriate icons displayed on the Stream Deck's softkeys. If I need to adjust the automatic's gear, I just reach over the the secondary control panel and hit the appropriate button.
System Specs for Beta and performance comparisons:
Ryzen 9 5900x - 32GB RAM - NVMe SSD - RTX2080 Super - 3440x1440 Ultrawide - TrackIR - T248 Wheel/Pedals
Karlia

#3 Post by Karlia » 14 Feb 2021 02:43

@Winchester1979 @EricF
Sorry never noticed this thread until now, yes you can, go in to your [hex number] profile folder open the controls.sii in notepad or whatever, search for gearup you will see the key bind for example: joy.b5, about three lines down you will see the "gearuphint" change the bind to the same as the gearup... same procedure for the geardown and geardownhint. Save and play'
Have fun
Happy 🚛🚛🚛
K
Winchester1979

#4 Post by Winchester1979 » 28 Feb 2021 22:14

@KMAC The problem isn't the up functions, it's the down functions. If you put geardown and geardownhint on the same button, trying to use geardownhint will also execute geardown... which means dropping you from whatever forward gear you're in straight down to neutral, as that's what geardown does in automatic gearbox mode. Or at least that's how it worked when I was playing around with it last. The "up" functions will do the same thing from a reverse gear, but that's not going to matter much, and once you're in forward gear it'll work as it's supposed to.

Unless they've changed things since I was experimenting with this last, which was almost a year ago...
Karlia

#5 Post by Karlia » 01 Mar 2021 18:03

@Winchester1979 You assign drive and reverse to the shifter, you assign the auto/manual toggle to a button and the you assign the hint and shifts to the paddles in the controls.sii (or in my case a two way rocker on the shifter) as I mentioned.. it works perfectly I use it all the time if I drive auto with I-Shift, you will get one shift or one hint per press nothing like going full down as to what you have described. And it wont drop in to neutral or reverse because that is controlled buy the shift lever.

It works for me, so I will leave it at that.
Up to you whether you try it or not.

Happy 🚚🚛

Return to “Steering wheel + pedals”