Problems with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel!

Amy_N

Problems with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel!

#1 Post by Amy_N » 09 Sep 2013 15:13

Here is the story...

I have been using the keyboard and mouse combo to drive in ETS2 ~ Not perfect but it was fine ~ I drive automatic because I have NEVER driven a "Stickshift" before in my life. Most cars here in the States are 'Stickshift' or manual as I think you call in it Europe. ;)

My cousin comes around last Thursday and he gave me a wheel that he got from a friend of his. Not sure what quality this wheel is as I have no idea about wheels except for the one I use in my "REAL" car :lol:

It was in a box called a ~ "Logitech Driving Force GT" ~ But the pedals (Think just a gas and brake pedal) are missing.

Picture below of what it looks like:
[ external image ]

I set it up on my computer on Saturday and found it rather weird at first after using keyboard and mouse ~ I found that just behind the wheel are two small pedals or levers or buttons (not sure how to describe them) that I set up for acceleration and braking ~ It worked fine as I was still driving automatic!

I had to change some sliders in the setup so it turned smoother.

This is why I wanted to create that short video to describe as I know I can't do it properly in words :shock:

When I am driving on the highway or even a winding road the wheel acts great (for me anyways) ~ It is fine when turning with the wheel at a 45% angle, and even up to about a 60% turn, but when I have to do a real sharp turn the wheel will do a quick turn and I have to catch it and move back or I will crash. So it seems that it needs to turn up to at least a 90% turn. NOT any more than that because my hands are on the lever, buttons or whatever they are behind the wheel for acceleration or braking.

Wish I had that video now. I downloaded Fraps and will try another short video so you guys can see.

I am not sure what I have to do. Maybe it is something simple in a slider in the setup I need to move or something like that. I really am enjoying the wheel as it's far better than the keyboard. But these little quick turns are a pest!

Help ~~~~~~~~~ me please :lol:

Thanks
Amy N. Miller
[ external image ]

Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorow!
Unco

Re: Problems with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel!

#2 Post by Unco » 09 Sep 2013 17:20

The best advice I can give you, is to either buy a set of pedals (if you can get them separately), or buy a new wheel complete with pedals. It really does make a big difference to your gaming experience.
ohaha

#3 Post by ohaha » 09 Sep 2013 17:22

"Flappy paddle gearbox"
J. Clarkson

Those paddles are for gear shifting.
I second Unco's advice, get some pedals and really enjoy the driving experience.
Retired, but still loving it.
Amy_N

#4 Post by Amy_N » 09 Sep 2013 17:42

Unco wrote:The best advice I can give you, is to either buy a set of pedals (if you can get them separately), or buy a new wheel complete with pedals. It really does make a big difference to your gaming experience.
It's not the pedals or the lack of pedals in my case, it's the turning that I am more concerned about. The wheel turning rotation of the wheel. I can go to around 60% at most of my wheel rotation ~ After 60% of the rotation is when I am having the problem.

I agree with you that a nice "Expensive" wheel with pedals etc.. would be great, but it is not solving my turning ability now with this wheel. That is the issue I am speaking about here. :)

Plus, remember I have NEVER EVER driven a car with a 'Manuel Gearbox' in my life. I can only drive a automatic. I would be totally pathetic even thinking of changing gears and using a clutch. Never done it and probably will NEVER ever do it in the future in 'Real' or in the 'Simulator' however more realistic it might be and better gaming experience it might make.

As I said, this is a turning the wheel rotation problem ~ I am creating a video as I type this to show you and others the problem I'm facing. It has nothing to do with pedals etc...
Amy N. Miller
[ external image ]

Unco

#5 Post by Unco » 09 Sep 2013 17:48

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but you may have set the "Degrees of Rotation" as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=1406

for a 1:1 ratio, use 780 degrees.
gerbiepiep

#6 Post by gerbiepiep » 09 Sep 2013 17:53

Regarding wiki the wheel is fully supported by ETS2 and is 900° steering (2.5 turns lock-to-lock).

So i gues you'll have to sett it to 900° at first if thats the issue.
Cant check what the options regarding wheels are, since i only have a gamepad.

Is there a way you can check in the controller menu into windows if the wheel steers from lock to lock without issues?
Max
SCS Software

#7 Post by Max » 09 Sep 2013 18:36

Amy_N wrote:When I am driving on the highway or even a winding road the wheel acts great (for me anyways) ~ It is fine when turning with the wheel at a 45% angle, and even up to about a 60% turn, but when I have to do a real sharp turn the wheel will do a quick turn and I have to catch it and move back or I will crash.
if i understand you correctly, you turn wheel to 50% left and all works correctly. but if you turn 51% left the wheel in game suddenly turns to 100% left. is that it?

if answer is yes, the issue is caused by digital input that is generated by some wheels in adition to analog one.
you have to enter options/keyboard and cancel binding of stering left and right keys/buttons. these problematic inputs should be named "joy.button1" or someting like that.

if answer is no, problem could be in non-linearity setting. your wheel can be set to 780 degrees (in game wheel range) with non-linearity to zero (leftmost) and this setup gives best drivinig experience.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Amy_N

#8 Post by Amy_N » 09 Sep 2013 20:16

Here is a video I created to show you what I mean.

I think what Max is saying is spot on. When I turn the wheel 60% left or right I am fine but as soon as I go a bit over that the wheel will suddenly do a 100% left/right as Max said!
Amy N. Miller
[ external image ]

Reef

#9 Post by Reef » 09 Sep 2013 21:09

Then Max has already answered your problem..
Max wrote:you have to enter options/keyboard and cancel binding of stering left and right keys/buttons. these problematic inputs should be named "joy.button1" or someting like that.
Amy_N

#10 Post by Amy_N » 09 Sep 2013 21:31

if i understand you correctly, you turn wheel to 50% left and all works correctly. but if you turn 51% left the wheel in game suddenly turns to 100% left. is that it?

if answer is yes, the issue is caused by digital input that is generated by some wheels in adition to analog one.
you have to enter options/keyboard and cancel binding of stering left and right keys/buttons. these problematic inputs should be named "joy.button1" or someting like that.

if answer is no, problem could be in non-linearity setting. your wheel can be set to 780 degrees (in game wheel range) with non-linearity to zero (leftmost) and this setup gives best drivinig experience.
You are spot on Max ~ I do have the options/keyboard settings set to Joy Left/Joy Right as shown in the image below.

What I don't understand is the wheel at 780 degrees part. Not sure how to fix this?

[ external image ]
Amy N. Miller
[ external image ]

Return to “Steering wheel + pedals”