[Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

Reef

[Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

#1 Post by Reef » 04 Jun 2015 08:49

If the mod you're creating is from the base.scs file then do not include the parent folder (the folder you extracted the base.scs into) I named my parent folder "base" for example, only select and zip the folders within that parent folder.

[ external image ]

If it is from the def.scs file then include the def parent folder

When zipping your mod (I highly recommend 7zip, it is far superior to winzip and winrar and it's also free) name your mod random_mod_name.scs.zip and then once the zip file is created right click on it and "rename" and remove the .zip from the file name, after a confirmation warning popup you will then be left with a .scs file

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

hth :)
florence3099
Global moderator

Re: [Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

#2 Post by florence3099 » 04 Jun 2015 09:25

Nice guide :D

A couple of points:

It is not needed to have the .zip at the end. In 7-zip as long as you have the type set to zip, the file name can be typed as filename.scs and it will work fine.

Also files can be compressed even on Ultra, only sound files need to remain uncompressed. So you can create a compressed .scs with the other files and just add the sound files afterwards on store.
SimulatorSam

#3 Post by SimulatorSam » 04 Jun 2015 09:29

Well written, and much needed guide! :P Well done, Reef!
I'm sure many will find this useful. ;)
Reef

#4 Post by Reef » 04 Jun 2015 09:40

joe_alker wrote: It is not needed to have the .zip at the end. In 7-zip as long as you have the type set to zip, the file name can be typed as filename.scs and it will work fine.
And I knew exactly that this would be the first response to this guide, but I stand by my methods, I've been doing it this way for nearly 7 years and it hasn't failed me once (trust me that is a lot of zipped .scs files) Yet I've seen countless posts of people having problems with their .scs files at the packing stage, so you do what you feel is right joe and i'll do (and pass on) what I know works for me.

As for the compression, I assume you understand the concept of keeping things simple and uncomplicated for the novice? So why would I add varying factors into a beginners tutorial? (and yes Joe I'm well aware of it, in fact I'm pretty sure it was me that told you that you could compress everything other than sound files over on the old NWH forum) ;)
jarvik79

#5 Post by jarvik79 » 04 Jun 2015 11:45

ETS2 can also read .zip file extensions, so technically there's no need to rename the extension at all.
Reef

#6 Post by Reef » 04 Jun 2015 13:45

Should I just remove this then? :|
abasstreppas

#7 Post by abasstreppas » 04 Jun 2015 14:09

No, I think you should keep it. It's definitely good to now when you're a new into modding. Your basic instructions is exactly how I did way back. By time you'll learn to take shortcuts (oh, but maybe not you Reef :P )
jarvik79

#8 Post by jarvik79 » 04 Jun 2015 14:10

Sure, you might as well delete your account at same time :lol: :lol:

No, seriously.... it's a good guide. Just pointing out the alternatives.
Reef

#9 Post by Reef » 04 Jun 2015 14:31

abasstreppas wrote:By time you'll learn to take shortcuts (oh, but maybe not you Reef :P )
Old dog, New tricks, and all that :P

Fine the tutorial can stay, I'll just delete my account after I've perma-banned myself (not sure how that works but the Universe may implode - you have all been warned!)
florence3099
Global moderator

#10 Post by florence3099 » 04 Jun 2015 15:33

Reef wrote:As for the compression, I assume you understand the concept of keeping things simple and uncomplicated for the novice?
Fair enough, I understand :D
Reef wrote:and yes Joe I'm well aware of it, in fact I'm pretty sure it was me that told you that you could compress everything other than sound files over on the old NWH forum ;)
Long time ago :lol: Memory fails me. Damn I forgot anyway, I thought I worked it out myself when compressing stuff and fiddling... But yeah, it was probably you :D

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”