Different Controller Profiles?

nivam

Different Controller Profiles?

#1 Post by nivam » 20 Jan 2020 09:44

I started playing ETS2 with my son using a single profile, which I maintain since 2018. He doesnt want to create his own profile since I have all the money he needs to test various truck combinations. He also doesnt want to use our wheel and he prefers to use an XBOX controller.
Is it possible to have two different controller setups, each with its own button assignments? Every time we switch controller we have to reconfigure the controller's button assignments. As I see there is no way to save 2 different controller profiles in the game.

Is it possible to mix button assignements? That is accelaration assignment to 2 different axis (one for the wheel and one for xbox controller) and/or a key to two different buttons (one on a wheel and one on the xbox), but I dont want to loose the keyboard default assignments.

Thank you
Nikos
Underscore_101_

Re: Different Controller Profiles?

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 20 Jan 2020 17:06

There are probably some people here with more knowledge about it than I do, but the only way I would know how to have your own setup is to make a save of each setup and copy/paste/replace the one in the profile folder.

So if you set up a game with your control profile, go to the folder that has your profile, copy "controls.sii" and save it (for example in a folder on your desktop named "controls dad")
Have your son do the same with his setup (and of course put it in a different folder)

This way, whoever wants to play just copies and pastes his saved controls profile over the one in the profile folder.
Doing it this way may still require changing some settings, like what type of gearbox to use, but not every button, this depends on what other settings between you and your son are different.

Hope this was of help, I advise you to wait some time for people that know more about it to reply, but if that takes too long, try the above :-)
xXCARL1992Xx

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Jan 2020 17:09

why not make a copy of your profile for him, so he has all the money he needs and can keep his control settings because they are profile dependent and not game dependent
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
nivam

#4 Post by nivam » 20 Jan 2020 19:27

Thanks for the suggestions! Really helpful!
wolfrunner86

#5 Post by wolfrunner86 » 20 Jan 2020 20:36

when i used to have a wheel i would map all the buttons on the wheel and controller to there keyboard button mapping so the only thing i needed to remap when i changed between controller and wheel was the axis
nivam

#6 Post by nivam » 20 Jan 2020 20:49

I wish they add an option to save different profiles in a future update.
MagikAir

#7 Post by MagikAir » 11 May 2021 00:06

Since I have a suggestion that is very similar to this one, I rather post it here as a reply.

Can SCS implement a way to keep the controller/button mapping linked to the online profile. (for both keyboard, gamepads,and wheels) ?

In way that if I download steam and the game in a new computer I don't have to remap the controllers, specially because the original computer where you started playing the game is not always available to copy/paste configuration files.
PiotrGT

#8 Post by PiotrGT » 20 Oct 2021 11:32

There is a way to quickly change controllers using .bat files. If you follow the instructions below it should work but as always, you do it at your own risk:
1.In Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder in Documents create a folder. I called mine "CONTROL OPTIONS" (in all caps) and the script will be for this folder name. Do the same for your American Truck Simulator if you have it.
2.Inside that folder create folders for all the controllers you want. Let's say you are using Xbox Controller and Logitech G29, simply make two folders called "Logitech G29" and "Xbox Controller". Do this for both your games.
3.In each of these folders you need to put your "controls.sii" files. Configure the game for your wheel and from your profile folder (you can find the profile you used last by sorting folders by date or by using online "hex to text converter") copy the "controls.sii" file into the suitable folder inside CONTROL OPTIONS. Do this for all your controllers. Remember that every profile has it's own controls.sii file so copy the right one.
4.Inside the Euro Truck Simulator 2 documents folder (you can create it anywhere, but mine is there) Create a text file that says:

@echo off
for /D %%a in ("C:\Users\*your Windows user name*\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\*.*") do xcopy /y "C:\Users\*your Windows user name*\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\CONTROL OPTIONS\*controller folder name*\controls.sii" "%%a\"

if you also have American Truck Simulator, you can also add it below like this:

@echo off
for /D %%a in ("C:\Users\*your Windows user name*\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\*.*") do xcopy /y "C:\Users\*your Windows user name*\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\CONTROL OPTIONS\*controller folder name*\controls.sii" "%%a\"
for /D %%a in ("C:\Users\*your Windows user name*\Documents\American Truck Simulator\profiles\*.*") do xcopy /y "C:\Users\*your Windows user name*\Documents\American Truck Simulator\CONTROL OPTIONS\*controller folder name*\controls.sii" "%%a\"

Replace *your Windows user name* with your Windows user name without the asterisks and *controller folder name* with the name of the folder where you stored your controls.sii file also without astersisks. Save the file and change the extension to .bat.

This script will basically copy the controls.sii file to all the folders inside the "profile" folder so into all your profiles. Make scripts for all your controllers like this so that if you want to use a different controller, you can just use the suitable file and be ready to go. You can make shortcuts of the files if you need to.

I recommend not using Steam Cloud with this, the profiles made with Cloud enabled are stored in different folder + it may just not work correctly with Steam Cloud, I never tested it, you can try it at your own risk by changing the script accordingly.

I generally think SCS should make it so that the controller profiles are used for every profile and have selectable presets in the options menu like some games do (RaceRoom for example) but this method makes switching controllers very quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”