Best Computer for Game

TruckerJack399

Best Computer for Game

#1 Post by TruckerJack399 » 08 Apr 2020 13:50

Hi everyone,

Returning trucker here, currently play on a basic 4-5 year old acer laptop, and have to run the game at very basic settings to have smoother gameplay. Would anyone know what laptop you'd recommend to run better settings on ets. Either a gaming laptop or normal one, and recommendations. I'm from England so one I can get in the UK and hopefully not too expensive. Cheers
Wolfi
Beta tester

Re: Best Computer for Game

#2 Post by Wolfi » 08 Apr 2020 14:16

Well, problem with laptops is - no compromise.
You either get a regular, cheap one and it will barely run the game.
Or get a gaming one which will kill your budget. (because there's no such thing as cheap gaming laptop)

If you can afford scrapping a little bit of space I would highly suggest getting a compact PC, which will end up being a lot more powerful at a lot lower cost.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
TruckerJack399

#3 Post by TruckerJack399 » 08 Apr 2020 14:21

I did find a gaming laptop for around 600 on Currys, but I'm not technically minded so wouldn't know if its powerful enough. I could probably go as far as 700 if it's possible to get a gaming laptop or pc for that price. I'd keep my current laptop so the gaming one will be purely for gaming and nothing else.

This laptop I've seen has a Intel Core i5-8300H processor, RAM 8GB DDR4 and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics Card. Would someone mind telling me if it's possible to run high settings on Euro Truck with this. As I said I'm not technically minded.
Last edited by Wolfi on 08 Apr 2020 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed, do not quote entire message above yours.
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Apr 2020 18:35

The most important think you have to decide is WHY you want a laptop?

It's because you don't have enough space in your house? Or because you need to travel with it frequently for other uses? Because if don't have none of those 2 constrains, you are wasting money on a laptop (a whole desktop will cost you more due the display, but will last a lot longer, so it's a better investment).

About the laptop you link, that will be not capable of ultra settings and that's not gaming at all. Manufacturers put the cheapest "discrete" graphic card on the market and the word "gaming" to sell crap or, at most, medium-decent computers. This hame is hardly dependent on CPU and that i5 has a max TDP of just 45W; it will end toasted inside the case of the laptop playing long driving runs so, you will almost never been able to run it on turbo mode so, their performance will be far away from the peak values. It will allow you to play but not at ultra settings on a sustained FPS over 30.

Real gaming computers need i7 or AMD Ryzen5 high models at least. If they are gaming laptops, they also need to be larger than regular ones in order to house the proper cooling that allows them to be used for hours of sustained gaming. Then, they are bulkier and heavy, not suited at all to carry them up and down for business (for example). Now, you decide.

Regards
TruckerJack399

#5 Post by TruckerJack399 » 08 Apr 2020 21:19

Cheers for the advice Some newbie driver. I am able to house a gaming desktop, but because I've never understood what parts I need to set one up I chose the laptop idea for simplicity. Is it possible to buy a gaming desktop complete?
Ashleybarry

#6 Post by Ashleybarry » 09 Jun 2021 07:15

We all want to buy a gaming laptop because that has the power to run your heavy build-in games, But anyone knows that why are gaming laptops so expensive?
Last edited by Ashleybarry on 16 Jun 2021 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
I think of myself as a hard-working person but at the same time, I like to enjoy life for example going to the cinema, walking around with friends, doing sports.
Madkine
Global moderator

#7 Post by Madkine » 09 Jun 2021 08:14

Because laptops need to use smaller parts than desktops. Making things smaller is expensive.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 09 Jun 2021 18:10

And because every single part has to be designed, built and tested purposely for that model of computer that, at the same time, will have way less total sales than regular standard parts for desktops. So, a gaming laptop is a product that kills the scale economy of the manufacturing process.

And no @Ashleybarry, not everybody wants a gaming laptop. In fact, I can tell you of a couple of people that will never touch again a "gaming" laptop, not even with a stick. So much they enjoyed their past experiences with weird bulkier lunchboxes with fancy lights (a.k.a. gaming laptops). Most "gaming laptops" in the market are overpriced garbage. The ones that are good for its price tag are either "modest" in gaming performance or "Arabian Petro-sheick wallet" level in price. Not to mention how hard is going to be to select a proper model thanks to the shady practices of NVidia naming the same very different final products (even if they corrected some of their initial intentions). Of course there will be very compelling options with AMD soon... that will be harder to find in stock than to get unobtanium.

I repeat again what I said... hey, just a year ago! :) Think on "gaming laptops" only if you are going to use it someway so you can ONLY use a laptop in that way. Either you need to travel a lot, or you need to use it in several places, or you have zero space in a room where to place a whole desktop set. Otherwise, the purchase of a laptop is ALWAYS a waste of money from all the possible points of view.

Regards
JD6

#9 Post by JD6 » 10 Jun 2021 15:42

@TruckerJack399 That i5 CPU/1050 video card will run the game fine. (assuming that's a GTX 1050Ti 4GB)

In these rough times of chipset shortages and the skyrocketed prices on GPUs your best bet is a gaming laptop or a prebuilt system that has been in stock for a while. It's weird that atm a gaming laptop is cheaper than building a PC with the same specs.
Garrington_Levy

#10 Post by Garrington_Levy » 17 Jun 2021 19:24

Out of interest, I've been looking at a pre-built - a HP Pavillion with an i5 10700k, 8gb ram (would be doubled or tripled) and a GTX1660 super, would that be capable of running the game at medium settings? haven't found any infomation online really, only seen people tallking about the a typical games - COD, apex, SoTR etc. Given the drought of chipsets and nigh on everthing else, would I be wise to put great thought or should I just hold off and hope the market settles by next year?
Has anyone ever been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”