Terrible performance in Road to the Black Sea DLC

Simulationworld2020

Terrible performance in Road to the Black Sea DLC

#1 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 15 Apr 2021 13:19

Hello, my specs are Intel dual core 2.93GhZ, Nvidia GeforceGTX750 2GB, 6GB system RAM. According to Steam I fulfil the minimum requirements and have set every setting to lowest possible. However no matter how I tweak the settings I always get constant lag spikes that make version 1.40 almost unplayable. I remember when I first updated to open beta 1.40 it was way smoother. Since the final version it's lagging like hell. I'm aware of the fact that the Intel dual core processor is completely outdated and is causing a severe bottelneck on my GTX750. When I asked at my local IT shop if I could upgrade to a good i5 processor they told me that it would not be worth the money since I would have to change the complete motherboard as well. I have contacted SCS support as well and followed all their instructions but I feel totally devastated. The only versions I can run smoothly are temporary beta 1.26 but I'll miss out on almost every new DLC and I would have loved to play Iberia. SCS support told me that the team is avoiding to remove earlier temporary betas but is it really true? If I downgrade the game via Steam to 1.26 is there any guarantee that some day Steam will remove this older beta and force me to play the new version? I really can't afford a better PC for the time being so saying to me ,, jut buy a better PC,, won't help me at all. Thank you in advance for your understanding of my issue.
CarbonGTGaming

Re: Terrible performance in Road to the Black Sea DLC

#2 Post by CarbonGTGaming » 16 Apr 2021 23:13

1.40 is quite heavy on CPU and 750 card isn’t really good enough for this update and there is a chance that Steam will remove the older version like as of 1.26 quite a few people are saying the system requirements are out of date cos it was the same requirement specs since the game came out so I think the specs required should be changed cos of the new lighting system and also Iberia DLC has a bit of stuttering at the moment.so I would roll back on 1.26 if you want get promods for 1.26 to make your map a bit bigger the version for promods for 1.26 is 2.15 if you want to keep trucking longer Spain is in the promods map but way different the scs official Spain but I would recommend promods if your rolling back to 1.26
fratrac

#3 Post by fratrac » 17 Apr 2021 07:39

If the performance in ETS2 was fine before 1.40 there is no reason your hardware is not able to still make the game run smoothly. Maybe you could start removing mods (if any) to see if there is something wrong with those, or you can check for errors in the developer console (you can find tutorials online for how to enable it).
You could also try to reinstall the game to have a clean 1.40 install and try to see how is the performance without restoring your game backup.
Is the performance outside of Road to the Black Sea any good?

While you're running the game, you could try to enable the windows game bar with the performance widget to see what's going on with your hardware usage (it's not a higly professional method but I think it's an easy way to check things up). Also, I'd recommend trying to run the game with Vsync(energy saving) on, maybe it can leave some room for hardware usage spikes.

Even if yours is not the top of the line hardware, it's perfectly fine for making ETS2 playable
physics.scs --> bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0
Simulationworld2020

#4 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 17 Apr 2021 11:14

Thank you very much for the answers so far. Just for your information I don't have any Mods installed. My PC isn't able to handle Promods. Even at version 1.25 Promods struggles to run, especially at city areas the framerate is terrible beyond belief. The only vanilla version my PC can run perfectly smooth on High to Ultra settings is 1.25. I contacted SCS Support if Steam will eventually remove older versions of the game and they told me that they can't guarantee that these temporary beta versions will stay forever but they will be available for the foreseeable future. Even if 1.40 is playable the game simply looks so bad having set everything to lowest possible. GTX750 might not be the best GPU to play it but if I could I'd upgrade my CPU and RAM. I think a powerful Intel Core i5 quad core coupled with a GTX1080 and 8 or better 16 GB RAM would be the ideal setup for me to make the game future proof. Buying an RTX GPU would be an overkill for this game imo, especially now that RTX prices are so high. I don't necessarily need to have everything maxed out, I'd love to play on high settigs. Which PC specs would you recommend me for a PC under 1000 euros?
plykkegaard

#5 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Apr 2021 11:35

Do you have similar issue in other games
There's a known problem with the latest windows update that can cause games to run erratic

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
fratrac

#6 Post by fratrac » 17 Apr 2021 15:05

I don't think you need to upgrade so badly if you were able to run at high-ultra settings on 1.25. It's not a great time to buy PCs, I'd really recommend checking what's going on with your existing hardware and windows as suggested and find what's actually holding you back. If nothing works you can try playing a little with custom resolutions.

Maybe also bad temperatures?
physics.scs --> bristle_stiffness_longitudinal_factor: 5.0
Simulationworld2020

#7 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 17 Apr 2021 18:54

Quote removed - Don't quote the post above - Rule 2.12

My OS is Windows 7 64bit and as far as I'm concerned Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows 7 so it hasn't something to do with updates. At my local IT shop they told me that the GTX750 will never reach it's full capacities since the Intel dual core CPU is holding it back. SCS support told me that this game is more GPU heavy and that's probably why I can run version 1.25 on almost ultra high settings. If it were CPU heavy I wouldn't have been able to max it out. SCS themselves said that 1.40 update will definitely increase the system requirements and will definitely have a performance impact on mid to low range PC's. Btw. setting the scaling under 100 makes the game look horrible so I have everything else set on low except the scaling and resolution on 1360*768. Vsync is off

Posts merged - Don't double post - Rule 2.5
plykkegaard wrote: 17 Apr 2021 11:35 Do you have similar issue in other games
There's a known problem with the latest windows update that can cause games to run erratic
I have Windows 7 and Microsoft has stopped providing support for this OS
Simulationworld2020

#8 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 17 Apr 2021 21:54

Update *** I updated my GTX750 drivers to the latest version and now I run version 1.40 smoothly. There's a bit of stuttering but it plays pretty much smoothly. I'm very pleased that my PC can run the game. Road to the Black Sea has still the most stuttering and all other DLC play perfectly fine. As for Iberia I'd rather wait for a Steam Sale. I heard that Iberia isn't very good optimized so I'll hold back for the time being
Costpap

#9 Post by Costpap » 17 Apr 2021 23:34

In regards to Iberia, you can probably expect the same kind of performance in resource-heavy areas. It's just that thanks to what appears to be better optimization, it'll take more things being rendered at once in order to notice a drop in FPS. However, due to the age of the Maxwell architecture, SCS may have spent less time optimizing the DLC specifically for that architecture, if any. If RttBS was optimized for Maxwell and Iberia isn't, then there's a chance that you may notice severe performance drops in general. In any other case, that's very unlikely. I'm unsure what exact GPU architectures SCS optimizes their games for, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Maxwell isn't on that list, considering how the first generation of the architecture was released over 7 years ago and the most popular Maxwell-based GPU only had 1.57% of market share in the Steam Hardware Survey of March 2021, a number that is constantly declining.
Simulationworld2020

#10 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 18 Apr 2021 12:34

Even with the updated drivers Road to Black Sea is just a pain. The lag spikes ruin the whole gameplay. I don't know whether SCS was serious when it said that 1.40 wouldn't have a heavy impact for lower end PC's but it definitely has. I can't even run Road to Black Sea so there's no way my PC could ever handle Iberia. I'm glad I didn't buy Iberia or else I would have spent money for a DLC which I can never use on this system.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”