How to transform my copy in a STEAM one?

Jokeatwork

Re: How to transform my copy in a STEAM one?

#31 Post by Jokeatwork » 17 Aug 2014 15:05

Personally, I' m not a big fan of Steam. As I'm playing on a laptop, I want to have as much RAM and CPU received for ETS2 as possible (is that a good argument against Steam guys?). I would like to purchase the High Power Cargo DLC, but I need Steam for this of course. Could I download the DLC with Steam and then later play with my retail version of the game again, being able to enjoy the DLC without needing to have Steam running on my system?
jarvik79

#32 Post by jarvik79 » 17 Aug 2014 15:30

No it isn't, and no you can't. You need the Steam version of the game.
I do agree that in the early days Steam was a resource hog - early days being 5+ years ago. Steam take approx 60MB RAM when full screen, and about 25Mb when minimised. In a 3 hour ETS2 session the other day, it took precisely 14 seconds of cpu time, on a reasonably old Core 2 Duo. If your laptop is so low spec it's struggling because of that, then it will be too bad to run ETS2 anyway.
However you can run Steam in completely Offline mod, which takes even less RAM, and still start the game.
Despite what Axel rants about, there really isn't any reason not to use Steam these days. Particularly with the Home Streaming capabilities. which, quite frankly, are brilliant.
Jokeatwork

#33 Post by Jokeatwork » 17 Aug 2014 15:59

Alright. Thanks for the detailed answer, that was convincing.
Last edited by Unco on 06 Sep 2014 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of entire previous post
vipersan

#34 Post by vipersan » 06 Sep 2014 02:36

a question, if anyone can help. I activated my game on steam now and I was wondering what is with the achievements? Do I need to get them again? Or do they transfer from existing savegame? Or how this works? I tried for example one simple thing - using a petrol station and no achievemnent in steam? Any help?
Think of the solution, not the problem!
SiSL
SCS Software

#35 Post by SiSL » 06 Sep 2014 02:56

They are not here yet, they will be activated with 1.13 patch. Only things that will be rewarded when they are available is your garages and map completion.
Last edited by Unco on 06 Sep 2014 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of entire previous post
adrian007

#36 Post by adrian007 » 06 Sep 2014 04:54

Hi again well I've finally got around to using Steam for this ( had to reformat the computer after its slight tanty).
For some bizarre reason it wouldn't let me use the disk ( 1.4.1) install oh well it works that's the main thing . ;)
Sorry if it's a bit late in the day about getting back to everyone have had a few personal issues to deal with ( bereavement ) , and getting back into it again. :D
Thanks to those who helped me ,
Regards
Adrian 8-)
vipersan

#37 Post by vipersan » 06 Sep 2014 09:25

Thank you SiSL
Think of the solution, not the problem!
Unco

#38 Post by Unco » 06 Sep 2014 11:47

adrian007 wrote:For some bizarre reason it wouldn't let me use the disk ( 1.4.1) install oh well it works that's the main thing . ;)
Sorry if it's a bit late in the day about getting back to everyone have had a few personal issues to deal with ( bereavement ) , and getting back into it again. :D
Thanks to those who helped me ,
Regards
Adrian 8-)
Sorry to hear that, Adrian. Hope you're coping OK.

RE: Steam - You don't use disks if you are installing from Steam. Put your disks away.
adrian007

#39 Post by adrian007 » 06 Sep 2014 23:41

@Unco thanks for that I was a bit wary of using Steam at first to be honest after all the stories abounding yes I knew about not using disks on Steam thanks very much . ;)
Just got to remember about stopping automatic updates as I'm not really interested in achievements ( too arcade for me ) having said that though will be interesting to see the new DAF that people are get excited about. :)
Regards
Adrian 8-)
thebigbadonion

#40 Post by thebigbadonion » 07 Sep 2014 01:03

Dont worry about it too much adrian. Steam, while far from perfect isn't the evil its sometimes made out to be, especially around here :lol:. As for the achivements. I'm going to let them install, but that doesn't mean I'll pay any attention to them whatsoever, just like i don't with every other of my 170+ games on Steam.. All you'll get is a notification of them popping up every time you unlock one in the bottom corner. They're not in your face or anything. Plus you can turn in game notifications off entirely in the options on Steam. One of the big advantages of using the Steam version, is it keeps your game up to date automatically. So you may as well leave those on mate.

From what I remember, you told me you play a lot of games, in the "how old are you?" thread was it? Steam might just surprise you. Especially when you see how cheap some of the games can be.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”