Keyboard only

Wolfi
Beta tester

Re: Keyboard only

#11 Post by Wolfi » 08 Nov 2013 17:31

Steering wheel for games is just a gadget - and not really practical... - unless you're using yours for creating skins :P
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Cadde

#12 Post by Cadde » 08 Nov 2013 17:49

Oh Mike, how far away from Gothenburg are you? I would invite you over and let you try my setup. ;)
Maybe next time you take that sweed FH16 2012 past here we can exchange experiences, you get to play with my setup and i get to ride along somewhere.
On extended hiatus.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#13 Post by Wolfi » 08 Nov 2013 18:00

Well I agree that a steering wheel gives abit more realistic experience.
But as someone mentioned it - it's impractical to put it here and there when you use your PC for more than just games.
And for me personally - I don't need it - I can steer a Volvo using a real steering wheel with all the buttons working as they should :P
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Izmaragon

#14 Post by Izmaragon » 18 Jul 2014 02:05

Keyboard, mostly to accelerate and brake + other game functions.. Used to be more keyboard only type, but ets1 had steer by mouse feature and I got hooked to it.

Mouse is for steering slash looking

Enough said.
My WoT

Show trucks are working trucks, they simply do the same job in a slightly more noticeable and stylish fashion.
romabysen

#15 Post by romabysen » 13 Oct 2014 08:38

I started out with a gamepad but steering with your thumbs isn't that great and the range of the sticks aren't that good and they're kinda inaccurate. In short, it sucked. I then tried using the keyboard and while it worked it's, well, the keyboard. There's an awful lot of tapping while you're steering. Then I thought I'd try using a mouse even though mouse steering is terrible in pretty much every driving game, but lo and behold, it was good.
In fact, it's truly awesome to steer with the mouse in ETS2. You need to set the steering sensivity almost all the way to the left and the non-linearity somewhere in the middle but once that's done it works great.

I use the following mouse button setup.
Left Button: Throttle
Right Button: Brake
Middle Button: CC on
Wheel Up: CC up
Wheel Down: CC down
davidzoli

#16 Post by davidzoli » 15 Oct 2014 15:28

Here is my setup. Steering with mouse and use a gamepad for the throttle/brake and buttons. If you already have a gamepad and you don't like that, you could try it.
I like, I don't have to watch the keyboard during play when I search for a key. Easier to find them on a gamepad. Like a buttonbox :)
Jomoma35

#17 Post by Jomoma35 » 09 May 2015 22:11

I use:
WSAD-steering
P-Wipers
Q/E-Turn signals
C-Cruise
Left Click/Arrow Up-Shift Up
Right Click/Arrow Down-Shift Down
Num 0-Engine
T-Trailer
Scroll Wheel for Retarder
F-Emergency Lights

I use both the arrows and mouse to shift if I don't want to hold the mouse all the time.
I ether use the real auto or the sequential.
plykkegaard

#18 Post by plykkegaard » 09 May 2015 22:55

Mouse for steering (right click mouse move for looking around)
Left click for engine break
left button 5 are cruise control (4 reenable)
Scroll CC speed up/down
The rest is almost standard keyboard

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Bandit & The Snowman

#19 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 09 May 2015 23:32

I put quite some work into my assignments because I want to always keep my right hand on the cursor keys while driving and my left hand to never leave its place near the shifting keys:

[ external image ]

(see also viewtopic.php?f=111&t=176368)

It works like a charm now, for me it's like the touch typing system for keyboard drivers :mrgreen:
adrian007

#20 Post by adrian007 » 09 May 2015 23:43

When I first started out with ets2 I used keyboard exclusively got into all kinds of strife with having to keep looking down at the keyboard then slamming into various things trucks, cars roadside barriers, etc. about the only I didn't hit were the pedestrians :lol: .
So one day I lashed out and bought a gamepad ( Logitech F310) which at AUD$50 is a damn sight cheaper than a steering wheel and pedals ( AUD$200-400) and easier to put away after wards than a steering wheel pedals and all and have never looked back and won't go back to keyboard/mouse. ;)
Regards
Adrian 8-)

Return to “Other”