Anyone tried a force feedback shifter for non synchro boxes

RiftFlyer

Re: Anyone tried a force feedback shifter for non synchro boxes

#11 Post by RiftFlyer » 07 Feb 2019 21:44

Before tackling the vibration motor mounting I needed to fix an issue with the synchro mechanism. Solenoids can’t be energized indefinitely. I had realized this at the start and so the Arduino only fires the solenoid for 1.5 seconds (long enough to move the shifter into gear). I had hoped the spring hinges I was using on the two limit switches would be strong enough to drive the solenoid barrel into the housing and return the spring arms to the normal neutral position when the shifter is taken out of gear.

I found these lacked sufficient force and were not working reliably. I cut two additional stronger springs and secured them in the mechanism to ensure the arms would come back when going into neutral.

[ external image ]

In addition I’ve added the vibration motor to simulate gear grinding when rpms are not in sync

[ external image ]

Just a few additional switches and some wiring left and I should be able to share some video.
aujagor

#12 Post by aujagor » 08 Feb 2019 03:41

Good progress so far dude. Really stoked to see the finished product.

Definitely curious to see how the software side of things works out; I've never messed with Arduino or really any programming of any sort so that is the biggest sticking point for me trying to replicate this in my setup.
RiftFlyer

#13 Post by RiftFlyer » 08 Feb 2019 06:05

Thanks aujagor. The Arduino code was a learning curve for me. That’s an enjoyable part of the process though (especially when it works!). I’m using SimTools Game Dash software to transfer the gear data to Arduino. It’s software I’ve been using for other projects such as my motion cueing G-Seat for flight sim use. There is a great community of enthusiasts on xsimulator.net who are always willing to help.
RiftFlyer

#14 Post by RiftFlyer » 10 Feb 2019 22:51

Not much to show by way of pictures but I got lots of wiring done.

I did add a spring loaded tension plate which blocks the shifter from accessing the left of the H pattern. Just like on a real 18speed there is a defined break force needed to move the shifter fully left and over the reverse and low gear slots.

Here is the spring loaded plate in its rest position:

[ external image ]

This image shows the main mechanics engaging the spring plate:

[ external image ]

Finally I got the shifter into position to confirm the height before cutting the wires to length for the range, splitter and jake switches.

[ external image ]
Fawls

#15 Post by Fawls » 11 Feb 2019 05:45

Watching with interest!
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES
They'll take your payment immediately and not fulfill order.

Comp Specs: R7 5700X, 6900XT, 32GB Ram.
aujagor

#16 Post by aujagor » 03 Mar 2019 06:44

Curious if you've had a chance to work on this some more, or if it is up and running.

Good choice on the PC case by the way; almost went with the same style in white before I decided to go water. Actually just ordered a Fractal case so I can cram some more rads in and hopefully keep things a little cooler than they are now.
RiftFlyer

#17 Post by RiftFlyer » 04 Mar 2019 00:05

I had it working well but one of the internal limit switches broke loose before I got a chance to take some video. It was only secured with hot glue. I need to make a more secure mounting for the two switches as there is a surprising amount of force on them due to the length of the gear stick. I need to have them recessed enough to be pressed by the shaft but then have a stop on the spring arms which they are attached to so the switches don’t take all the pressure.

I’ve been getting my Pimax 5k+ VR headset dialed in with x-plane and DCS so haven’t had a chance to revisit this project. Hopefully in the next week I’ll get a chance. Looking forward to trying ATS on the new headset.
aujagor

#18 Post by aujagor » 04 Mar 2019 02:35

If you haven't played with VR yet, prepare to be blown away. My brother tried to get me into the game before I got my Vive and I hated it; once I went VR I revisited it and have logged almost 500 hours in just over a year.

Maybe if I get some time and motivation, I'll have to try a 'lite' version of this build (probably without the lockout solenoids, just to make it a little easier on me. Long as I can configure it in such a way to get that nice notchy feel between gears I would be happier than a pig in mud.
RiftFlyer

#19 Post by RiftFlyer » 04 Mar 2019 12:54

Ya I’ve been in VR since DK1. I don’t play anything on the monitor anymore. There’s no going back.
aujagor

#20 Post by aujagor » 06 Mar 2019 05:56

There are games where I prefer to play pancake, but a good VR port is hard to beat. I need to figure out some graphical tweaks for ATS/ETS, and some modded trucks act kinda funky (thinking of the 'warp' built into Viper's Pete when you look left/right where it moves you forward in the cab; good for screens, not so much for HMD's :lol: ) but it's fantastic otherwise. VR has been a huge rabbit hole for me and I do not regret a second of it!

Return to “Other”