Driving a truck

_jacce__

Driving a truck

#1 Post by _jacce__ » 19 Sep 2017 19:09

Hello! I do not drive trucks in real Life as I am simply not old enough, but I have a question for all the real Life truckers out there! How big of a difference is the game from the real Life? I have around 1000 hrs in this game and I am just wondering if playing this game will give any advances in real Life like how to reverse a trailer, double, Dolly etc...
Cheers!
kajilius

Re: Driving a truck

#2 Post by kajilius » 19 Sep 2017 22:07

Hello __jacce__

What comes to differences it is quite different job to drive in real life. Ets2 is pretty good basic training to start trying safely trucks.
It will show you how much blindspots there really is, and is it easy to reverse.

But irl there are plenty of things what you can and cannot do. Few examples:

1. Seeing outside from the cabin. You can move, and "feel" more where your truck is. In real life, when you are on traffic, you have more those blindspots, and you are more aware all the time. One of most things is mirrors on game, you really cant see of them like you do in real life.
2. Driving, Well, theres plenty of different buttons, lights, sounds, etcetc what you have to check all the time.
3. Reverse, its not so easy to reverse rigid, b-train, doubles or even basic semi than it is in ets2, mostly times theres folks going past, forklifts, other trucks, corners, cows, all sort of things behind you, and all around you.
What comes to reversing doubles, b-train, trailer+dolly, the game gives you a hint how to do it irl, but on the same time, it makes it feel more easier than it is. Irl you have those weights, speeds, and everything against you.
4. Feel. When you are driving, reversing or doing anything on your truck, you can feel its moving, how the load behaves, wind, power (or lach of power). ets2 doesnt have that "ass feeling" when you are driving.
5. lights, most trucks in real life has some sort of worklights so you dont really have to look your loading or unloading spot or trailer in the darkness.
6. Ai, like in real life, ppl act like an ass for trucks. "must get pass that truck"-attitude is very real. And ppl doesnt really know long distance irl truck needs to stop when you have full load and speed.
7. Physics, every single move what your truck, trailer, dolly, or wheels make you surely feel it. Every corner, every pump etc. And Trucks doesnt really move as fast from 0 to 86km per hour like they do in ets2 - they are like rockets in the game.
8. when you are getting your trailer on, you have several stuff to do, reverse, see that kingping is correct, pump the stump up, hoses, brakes, get airpressure correct, paperwork, brakes off, check that all the lights work, set your satnav, push certain buttons, gear, lights etc. Theres a lots to do.

There is lots and lots differences, but on to your question - it gives advances on some levels. Youll get to know that its not easy and you have to focus on 100% that, if you dont. There will be bodies.
In scandinavia you are driving a 25.25meters long bilboard what everybody will see and remember. And it weights a lot. So theres no space for mistakes, like there is in ets2
well you did get there - now get out.
natvander
SCS Software

#3 Post by natvander » 20 Sep 2017 00:17

kajilius wrote: 19 Sep 2017 22:07
4. Feel. When you are driving, reversing or doing anything on your truck, you can feel its moving, how the load behaves, wind, power (or lach of power). ets2 doesnt have that "ass feeling" when you are driving.
For me that's the biggest one, and the one that I don't think could ever be resolved. In a real truck you can feel the engine in the seat and the floor, you can feel the road in the wheel, you can feel when you're going a bit too fast for a curve, how fast you're accelerating or decelerating, the movement of the cab etc. And the big one is you feel like you're moving. Your brain tells you that you're moving from information from your eyes and your inner ears. In front of a screen your eyes see movement but not your inner ear - hence the reason why many physics mods leave some people feeling sea sick (cab appears to move around but you're actually sitting still).
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
kajilius

#4 Post by kajilius » 20 Sep 2017 10:54

@Natvander you made my point exactly :D On the same time it´s a shame that that thing can´t be added on game, but on the other hand, if it could be included game, and where you play it should be like in Finnair´s pilottraining simulator hall or something :D
well you did get there - now get out.
_jacce__

#5 Post by _jacce__ » 20 Sep 2017 16:18

@kajilius
First I need to say you did an Amazing job answering my question! :) Second about that reversing part, I was more trying to know if by reversing all these sorts of truckcombinations will give me knowledge on how the truck and trailer will react when you do reverse it. I am practising for my car license atm and if I were to reverse the car with a trailer I do not think I will make it a jackknife because I know how the trailer reacts from reversing in the game, however I have not been driving with a trailer attached on the car so I can not tell but that is just how it feels. A normal man or woman who have a drivning license does not really know how to reverse with a trailer :) And I I feel that if i were to do it I would not have so much problems controlling the trailer. So I kinda wanted to know if you, who drives a truck seem it to be similar to Control the trailer in game and in real life? I also do know that a trailer you attach to a car is a lot shorter than a trailer you attach to a truck so it might be hard to compare this.

I got my mind pretty clear about all the other differences from irl and ets2. I have been wondering this for a while so thank you for your very good reply. :D
Cyrus Ramsey

#6 Post by Cyrus Ramsey » 20 Sep 2017 17:30

Of course you can use ETS2 to practice reversing. That's a good preparation for your driving test.

Cheers

C.
FlyingPigeon

#7 Post by FlyingPigeon » 11 Oct 2017 20:04

The very well answer above does really say it all. For its the feeling that is driving truck irl i love it and never become boring, but i cannot sit for than 1hour and play this becausr the world is perfect and fit you truck everywhere, in real life theres much more variation and challenge becausr of the road types, parked cars and so on. The game gives a very basic introdution, i would the basic theories are covered about reversing is in game, but in real life is much different
Scandinavian truckdriver.
SannNiz

Driving a truck

#8 Post by SannNiz » 15 Jul 2019 15:15

AHOOGA - Keep on Trucking

From one AA Dump Truck owner to another: Happiness is dumping a FULL load
Or We get paid to get our rocks OFF
Soilingcomic

#9 Post by Soilingcomic » 15 Jul 2019 20:10

VR is helping a lot with the "being there" feeling. I also have never driven a truck IRL so it's awesome to hear from the real pros here :)
Is it true that ETS is helping when reversing by moving the trailer a bit sideways at the triple bogie? If so can that feature be turned off?

Return to “Other”