Think Outside the Wheel: exotic control methods

djukon

Think Outside the Wheel: exotic control methods

#1 Post by djukon » 20 Jun 2021 15:02

What if by ditching a steering wheel entirely, a different, yet complete, driving experience can be achieved? Have you had any inroads into exploring this concept? If so, could you please share your experiences and ideas, as I am interested in finding out what works and what doesn't. Two joysticks, a mouse and a joystick, exotic controllers like the Razer Tartarus Pro, anything goes; as long as it doesn't include a steering wheel. Pedals from a steering wheel are fine, as long as the wheel is out of reach. Mouse+keyboard or joypad setups are not exactly what I'm looking for here, but if you have something quirky about the setup which goes beyond basic use, please, do share.

Currently I'm using and still iteratively evolving a setup which includes a modified Microsoft Strategic Commander on the left hand (enhanced weight for holding the base in place), a Speedlink Phantom Hawk flight stick on the right hand, a full 105-key keyboard in the middle, and a pedal set from an unused steering wheel. This setup allows up to 18-gear manual shifting with a clutch (Y+ axis on the joystick at the moment), with minimal to no interaction with the keyboard while driving. No head/eye tracking or VR, just a plain 16:9 monitor: the Strategic Commander arm/hand movement takes care of looking in different directions. If anyone is interested, I can share details about the setup.

My motivation was to have a quick way to start trucking on my multi-purpose computer without (1) having to clamp the wheel on and off every day and, (2) having my keyboard in an awkward position while the wheel is attached. Just switch the joystick for the mouse on the desk, and I'm ready to go. As the Strategic Commander is getting old, with no immediate replacements currently being produced, I'm looking for alternatives that can work in case it fails. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Other”