How to lock/password protect mods?

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: How to lock/password protect mods?

#41 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 Dec 2020 12:03

" the more security steps you take, the lower the risk"

in a dream world maybe, but it is the opposite in reality, the harder you try to protect it the more people try to exploit it, be it for themselves or just to show the world they can do it, Quest 2 wasnt even out for a week and it was already rooted and all the Facebook crap was wiped from it (wich is a good hack in this case)

denuvo, another perfect example
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Pumizo
Beta tester

#42 Post by Pumizo » 26 Dec 2020 12:09

@xXCARL1992Xx

No, in real life too. Try to have your house right next to mine, just with a door and a poor lock, against my hi-tech security system, paid vigilants and 2 rottweilers.
Which one do you think the lazy frustrated hackers (the majority of the ones trying to steal) will try to enter first?

Doesn't mean that they will quit the safe house, but extra security steps will make them think twice and that's the whole point here.
xXCARL1992Xx

#43 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 Dec 2020 12:23

a point you cant apply to software, for the reason they dont have anything stacked against them, they sit on the PC and try to pry open a locked software and have all the time in the world to do it

your example is pure nonsense, you can compare it with software protection at all for the simple fact that you have high stakes against you if you try to rob a home, doesnt matter how secure it is because you have to work with the constant reminder that you can be caught, wich you dont have if you try to hack a piece of software wich is the whole point of this thread

i could sit years on my PC and try to pry open or circumvent something without anyone in the world even having the slightest clue what im doing, and THIS is why people will always try to oneup the devs of protection software, be it to crack it or just to state an example that it isnt secure, denuvo prised themselves to be the best protection for software and still people got it cracked with enough time, so you can protect your mods all you want, there will always be someone who is more ingenious then you and try to crack it just to prove a point

the best protection is to not share it, or just dont care what other people do with it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Pumizo
Beta tester

#44 Post by Pumizo » 26 Dec 2020 12:29

It's your point and you should respect mine (nonsense).

Protected: 99% of users don't have a clue on how to unlock it and are too lazy to learn (extra security steps).
Unprotected: Even the lazy ones will access it (no security at all).

Not to mention how wrong it is to steal, hack, edit without permission. Something that some seem to defend indirectly in this topic.
bobgrey1997

#45 Post by bobgrey1997 » 26 Dec 2020 14:45

The more you try to lock it, the more most of hope someone steals it and shares it unlocked, so we can make our own modifications to it (merge it down with other mods, fix incompatibility issues, etc).
The mod can, and will be stolen by someone somewhere, so you are not preventing crap by locking it, you just telling the rest of us "screw you, you don't deserve to tweak this for your own purposes, f**k off".
plykkegaard

#46 Post by plykkegaard » 26 Dec 2020 14:47

If the game can read it can be unlocked

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Pumizo
Beta tester

#47 Post by Pumizo » 26 Dec 2020 15:21

It's funny how the hacking arguments stay the same after all these years.
If the author wants it locked you just have to respect that. Who gives you the right to think that you can hack it, just because you want to merge it with other mods, etc?
No wonder this community has reached such a sad state in terms of creativity and mod sharing. Most of the people deserve the crappy releases seen these days.
This was a problem 15 years ago and will always be, just because the losers who do this type of things think they can do anything behind a keyboard.
plykkegaard

#48 Post by plykkegaard » 26 Dec 2020 15:33

Just saying security by obscurity does not make any sense
It won't prevent access for those who want access at most you keep a few wannabees out
I mostly play vanilla now as I got tired of the release cycle race

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
tobrago

#49 Post by tobrago » 26 Dec 2020 16:13

Well SCS didn't lock its games either I mean ETS2 and ATS.
Google translator | Greetings and cheers | Keep truckin'

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Discord: tobrago#1504

Everything will be okay in the end, and if it`s not okay, it`s not the end.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#50 Post by Mohegan13 » 28 Dec 2020 10:15

That's because we need them open for modding. 🤦‍♂

They did actually lock the important game files that aren't required for mods though.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.

Return to “Help center - player to player”