Color converter to SCS stopped working

Dejf94

Color converter to SCS stopped working

#1 Post by Dejf94 » 10 Apr 2021 15:38

Hello,

we, who do skins, or simply need SCS colour coordinates - probably all know this site - https://www.dodero.eu/scs/color_converter/, which recalculates RGB numbers to SCS color code. But suddenly it stopped working. According to the info, there are some troubles with the form, which can be viewed by third person (really important in RGB codes, lol :D ). All web browsers I tried do that. Confirming sending the data viewable by third person resets the form, so you can't reach the colour coordinates you need. Can I somehow work around the problem? Or does anyone have contact to site admin?

Thanks.
bobgrey1997

Re: Color converter to SCS stopped working

#2 Post by bobgrey1997 » 10 Apr 2021 16:30

I've never heard of needing to convert color hex codes or RGB values to anything... I used to make skins, and never had to use ANY conversion tool.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 10 Apr 2021 16:37

looks like the page is done for, i think mod studio 2 has such a converter ? a little stand alone program would be better

and regarding converter, it is needed if you want to almost 1:1 replicate the color, SCS doesnt use RGB for their color, they use the linear color space and red in RGB wont be the same red in ETS and ATS
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Dejf94

#4 Post by Dejf94 » 11 Apr 2021 09:17

Well, to set colours for AI traffic I used this website, allowed me to set realistic colours per vehicle. Now I need some other way to set them. :-/
Drive Safely

#5 Post by Drive Safely » 22 Apr 2021 03:20

@Dejf94

I feared this would happen so luckily I had my own conversion script saved. Here is a new color converter you can download then open in your browser:

HTML file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NOXUrs ... sp=sharing

It doesn't have an online website but you can save it in your File Explorer and keep it working forever. Doesn't need any servers to run since it's fully client-side unlike Dodero's converter.
I kept the user interface familiar because if it ain't broke don't fix it. :) There is also a color picker that for some browsers will let you input RGB or HSL codes as well.

Here is a preview:
[ external image ]
Winchester1979

#8 Post by Winchester1979 » 14 May 2021 10:41

Drive Safely wrote: 22 Apr 2021 03:20 @Dejf94

I feared this would happen so luckily I had my own conversion script saved. Here is a new color converter you can download then open in your browser:

HTML file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NOXUrs ... sp=sharing

It doesn't have an online website but you can save it in your File Explorer and keep it working forever. Doesn't need any servers to run since it's fully client-side unlike Dodero's converter.
I kept the user interface familiar because if it ain't broke don't fix it. :) There is also a color picker that for some browsers will let you input RGB or HSL codes as well.

Here is a preview:
[ external image ]
Is there a way to do it in reverse? For example, reading the color code out of a paint def .sii, plugging it into a converter and getting a HEX code out of it that can be used in the in-game color picker? (Basically for situations where I want to use a stock color code as a base for one of the decal skins, like the griffin decals on a Scania or the lion on a MAN.)
Drive Safely

#9 Post by Drive Safely » 14 May 2021 10:56

@Winchester1979 - I'm not sure how to make the algorithm in reverse
Carsmaniac

#10 Post by Carsmaniac » 08 Jun 2021 00:22

Based on the script in that webpage, the conversion algorithm is dividing each value (red, green and blue separately) by 255, then squaring it:

Code: Select all

(rgbArray[0]/255) ** 2
To reverse the conversion, you'd need to take the square root of an SCS colour number and multiply it by 255:

Code: Select all

Math.sqrt(scsArray[0]) * 255
You lose some accuracy due to rounding the SCS numbers to 4 decimal places, but a quick test in the browser console shows that you do get the correct number back.

Return to “Help center - player to player”