Crashes on 1.40 caused by incompatible mods

proxpreon

Crashes on 1.40 caused by incompatible mods

#1 Post by proxpreon » 12 Apr 2021 00:36

TLDR:
If you are using mods and you game crashes when clicking on a truck (from Truck manager) or Garage (from Garage Manager), even after disabling all mods, then do this:
- Disable all mods and quit
- Revert to 1.39 (Steam Launcher > Library > Right Click ETS2 > properties > Betas > select 'temporary_1_39 - 1.39.x for incompatible mod' and close the dialog to start downloading)
- Sell all your mod trucks (shows as N/A) and Garages
- Save a new game
- Upgrade back to 1.40 (Betas > select 'none') and load that last save

Long Story:
I am using ETS2 from 2012 and using the same profile all these years. As I am also using map and truck mods (RJL, ProMods, TSM etc), I don't keep separate profiles for vanilla/mods. I am just following these rules and never had a problem all those years:
- Keep all the garages I got from mod maps empty. No drivers, no trucks, no drivers.
- Not assigning drivers to mod trucks/trailers/garages. This includes cabin accessories I got from mods. Just keep all their equiment vanilla.
- For every release, I will keep a save game driving a SCS truck, parked in a SCS garage. After a game upgrade, if my autosave would crash because of incompatible mods, I would still be able to load a recent save and keep playing.

This worked fine all this time. After a ETS2 upgrade, the incompatible trucks would show up in the Garage Menager as red scanias, titled 'N/A'. Same for modded garages, they would show as 'N/A' and I was able to delete them in both cases. To SCS credit, they have build a pretty solid code to handle incompatible mods.
But things changed in 1.40. Now when I click on a 'N/A' truck, the game would crash. Same for trailers.
Also when clicking on a garage where I've stored a 'N/A' truck, game would crash.

Reverting temporarily to 1.39 will allow you to sell all your modded trucks and trailers, (best to sell all your mod garages, just to be safe) and create a save that won't crash in 1.40

Hope this helps someone. I have hoarded hundreds of trucks and garages (~200) over the years and I would hate to start a new profile now :)

Return to “Help center - player to player”