Drivers AI issues

msdesignfoto

Drivers AI issues

#1 Post by msdesignfoto » 24 Jun 2021 18:23

Hello

While this issue is not actually a *problem*, its annoying as hell.
Even more if I'm trying a nice smooth driving for achievements and/or immersion reasons, it can be so much frustrating!

I'm driving inside a roundabout (red DAF truck), I can see nobody is approaching through the next way-in, so I keep my speed..... Until some freaking AI truck comes in all of a sudden without breaking and entering the roundabout like if I was not there.
I noticed some roundabouts in the world map have triangles on the inside, wich mean the one entering has the priority over the vehicle already inside the roundabout. This was NOT the case with this picture. This was a normal roundabout just as many others and I believe, most roundabouts in the real world work this way: who enters the roundabout needs to wait for the drivers already inside to either leave or keep driving ahead.

Picture here:
[ external image ]

I'm aware some crazy AI drivers are reckless and don't care if the player is inside the roundabout or not, so whenever I see someone approaching I reduce my own speed to avoid these virtual accidents.
If you watch carefully, behind the trucks there is a wall: this was a roundabout bellow a highway, so because of the wall I wasn't aware of whoever was approaching from that entrance.

Are the developpers aware of this crappy behavior? This is nonsense. AI drivers behave normally on the rest of the roads, but the roundabouts seem to be the real stone in the shoe here.

Thanks for reading!
Some newbie driver

Re: Drivers AI issues

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Jun 2021 19:43

Most probably this is NOT a problem of the AI control code. In most cases it's just that the map design by mistake doesn't include the signal to give way; so the AI doesn't give way (after all, he's coming from your right, so it considers it's having priority)

And when I say there's not the "give way signal" I'm not talking of the 3D model that it's part of the scenery. I mean the invisible meta-data embedded into the 3D game world that instructs AI how it has to behave in each stretch of road.

If you face a problem like this in any road intersection, then you can gather all the necessary info and fill a bug report so they could fix it. They are continuously fixing that kind of things.

There's a lot of other weird things the AI does and the fault it's due its limited programming. But in the kind of cases you explained; the usual is what I just told you.

Regards
msdesignfoto

#3 Post by msdesignfoto » 24 Jun 2021 20:43

I see that. I used to create Unreal Tournament maps in Unreal Editor, and for the bots to move around freely, it was needed a node system for bots to "see" and know where they could walk and jump to.

I will take note of the information needed whenever this happens again.

Thanks!
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Jun 2021 20:45

Well, let's hope you don't find so many more of those ;)

Return to “Help center - player to player”