Maximum size of scs files (MODS)

Duvorynn

Maximum size of scs files (MODS)

#1 Post by Duvorynn » 03 Sep 2021 18:22

Hi.

What is the maximum size of scs files and how to properly split them in order to use them?
Or should I just compress them on ultra setting cause the mods aren't using ogg files anymore?

Thanks to all in advance.
room217au

Re: Maximum size of scs files (MODS)

#2 Post by room217au » 04 Sep 2021 00:21

Pretty sure the game unpacks archives at runtime, so the compression ratio when packing mods (without audio files) is irrelevant.
The only time I have seen the game 'complain' is when that mod contains a resource (texture, model, etc) that is larger than 22Mb. Even in that case, it's only a warning in the game log. The resource(s) is still happily loaded.
In rare cases if you have a number of those 'large' resources, it might upset the game to the point of a crash on exit.
I've seen skybox textures that are 89Mb. I've seen truck interiors that are 75Mb. Right now I'm working on optimising a mod truck whose truck.pmg is 84Mb.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Drive Safely

#3 Post by Drive Safely » 04 Sep 2021 01:27

@Duvorynn - .bank files (the audio) still need Store compression to be read, I believe
Duvorynn

#4 Post by Duvorynn » 04 Sep 2021 07:34

room217au wrote: 04 Sep 2021 00:21 Pretty sure the game unpacks archives at runtime, so the compression ratio when packing mods (without audio files) is irrelevant.
The only time I have seen the game 'complain' is when that mod contains a resource (texture, model, etc) that is larger than 22Mb. Even in that case, it's only a warning in the game log. The resource(s) is still happily loaded.
In rare cases if you have a number of those 'large' resources, it might upset the game to the point of a crash on exit.
I've seen skybox textures that are 89Mb. I've seen truck interiors that are 75Mb. Right now I'm working on optimising a mod truck whose truck.pmg is 84Mb.
I know that it unpacks them, but higher compression ratio multiplied by number of mods results in slower loading time, correct?
room217au

#5 Post by room217au » 06 Sep 2021 02:09

@Duvorynn There was a discussion here about that some years ago. You can, if you want, have the 'unpacked' mod in its own unique folder, inside the mod folder and the game will happily run it. This is good for developing mods etc.
It was argued that with an archived mod, the time it takes to unpack the mod and mount the files, as compared to an already 'exploded' mod in a folder, the difference is negligible.
The biggest case for archived/compressed mods is that the expanded size of some mods could be gigabytes and the storage real estate might become a problem.
I have various expanded mods in my mod folder. One is a GPS/TruckInfo mod that I packed and unpacked so many times when adding new trucks, that I just leave it as it is permanently.
The other are various paintjobs for mods that I update and change frequently, perhaps even daily at times.
Duvorynn

#6 Post by Duvorynn » 28 Sep 2021 17:03

Thanks mates
m1keY

#7 Post by m1keY » 28 Sep 2021 17:59

I've tried to repack mapmods into a single file some time ago,
the modmanager didn't recognize it when it was bigger than ~2,2gb (not totally sure, but around that number)
...reasons why they are split into more parts...I guess
Duvorynn

#8 Post by Duvorynn » 03 Oct 2021 08:24

Yeah, I've noticed that but managed to have around 4GB file and it worked...above that MOD manager didn't see it.

Any guides on proper splitting archives into parts?
room217au

#9 Post by room217au » 05 Oct 2021 21:21

The 'vehicle' folder is traditionally the largest. It contains models (pmg files) and a ton of textures.
Make that folder 'part2'
All other folders in the mod, pack as 'part1'.
That's one suggestion.
Duvorynn

#10 Post by Duvorynn » 20 Oct 2021 06:49

Thanks, I'll try it

Return to “Help center - player to player”