Wrong position of the moon

Atak_Snajpera

Wrong position of the moon

#1 Post by Atak_Snajpera » 18 Feb 2013 15:05

Location of the full moon in game is NW
[ external image ]

but real location should have been very close to SE !
http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Yourhor ... &elements=

list of full moon dates in 2012 -> http://lunaf.com/english/moon-phases/lu ... ndar-2012/

in 2 August 2012 moon was not visible in our area (i used Warsaw as coordinates) so that's why I chose 3 July 2012
18:52:53
CJoke

Re: Wrong position of the moon

#2 Post by CJoke » 27 Feb 2013 15:00

this is my fav bug :lol:
Max
SCS Software

#3 Post by Max » 27 Feb 2013 16:00

:lol:
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
stresstool

#4 Post by stresstool » 18 May 2013 01:05

Not a problem. I don't believe we are driving on planet Earth. To me the moon looks too big (too close?) to belong to Earth. Since it is some other planet in an alternate universe, different rules must apply.
Karlip

#5 Post by Karlip » 18 May 2013 08:57

Let's wait for future patches, maybe it'll bring us something!

Hoping for different sizes of moon in each country myself.
Some Estonian dude!

World of Trucks profile: https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/online ... .php?id=20
Flemming V
Global moderator

#6 Post by Flemming V » 18 May 2013 14:14

Deja vu... :lol:
n4gix

#7 Post by n4gix » 18 May 2013 14:55

stresstool wrote:Not a problem. I don't believe we are driving on planet Earth. To me the moon looks too big (too close?) to belong to Earth. Since it is some other planet in an alternate universe, different rules must apply.
Actually, depending on many factors, the moon can and has appeared to be twice the size shown in your screenshot...

Remember that moisture and other debris in the atmosphere can act like a "magnifying lens" making objects appear much larger.
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
FirstFlyte

#8 Post by FirstFlyte » 18 May 2013 15:28

Wikipedia has this to say about moon sizes:

A popular belief, stretching back at least to Aristotle in the 4th century B.C., holds that the Moon appears larger near the horizon due to a real magnification effect caused by the Earth's atmosphere. This is not true: although the atmosphere does change the perceived color of the Moon, it does not magnify nor enlarge it.[3] In fact, the Moon appears about 1.5% smaller when it is near the horizon than when it is high in the sky, because it is farther away by nearly one Earth radius. Atmospheric refraction also makes the image of the Moon slightly smaller in the vertical direction. (Note that between different full moons, the Moon's angular diameter can vary from 33.5 arc minutes at perigee to 29.43 arc minutes at apogee—a difference of over 10%.[4] This is because of the ellipticity of the Moon's orbit.)

The angle that the full Moon subtends at an observer's eye can be measured directly with a theodolite to show that it remains constant as the Moon rises or sinks in the sky (discounting the very small variations due to the physical effects mentioned). Photographs of the Moon at different elevations also show that its size remains the same.[citation needed]

A simple way of demonstrating that the effect is an illusion is to hold a small object (say, 1/4 inch wide) at arm's length (25 inches) with one eye closed, positioning it next to the seemingly large Moon. When the Moon is higher in the sky, positioning the same object near the Moon reveals that there is no change in size.

Snippet from the 'Moon Illusion': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

FirstFlyte
ohaha

#9 Post by ohaha » 18 May 2013 17:04

FirstFlyte wrote:Wikipedia has this to say about moon sizes:

A popular belief, stretching back at least to Aristotle in the 4th century B.C., holds that the Moon appears larger near the horizon due to a real magnification effect caused by the Earth's atmosphere. This is not true: although the atmosphere does change the perceived color of the Moon, it does not magnify nor enlarge it.[3] In fact, the Moon appears about 1.5% smaller when it is near the horizon than when it is high in the sky, because it is farther away by nearly one Earth radius. Atmospheric refraction also makes the image of the Moon slightly smaller in the vertical direction. (Note that between different full moons, the Moon's angular diameter can vary from 33.5 arc minutes at perigee to 29.43 arc minutes at apogee—a difference of over 10%.[4] This is because of the ellipticity of the Moon's orbit.)

The angle that the full Moon subtends at an observer's eye can be measured directly with a theodolite to show that it remains constant as the Moon rises or sinks in the sky (discounting the very small variations due to the physical effects mentioned). Photographs of the Moon at different elevations also show that its size remains the same.[citation needed]

A simple way of demonstrating that the effect is an illusion is to hold a small object (say, 1/4 inch wide) at arm's length (25 inches) with one eye closed, positioning it next to the seemingly large Moon. When the Moon is higher in the sky, positioning the same object near the Moon reveals that there is no change in size.

Snippet from the 'Moon Illusion': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

FirstFlyte
Yes, we are all blind and imagine seeing things. It's a good thing this wiki-schmiki stuff is there to pull us out of the dark ages ;)
Retired, but still loving it.
n4gix

#10 Post by n4gix » 18 May 2013 17:46

ohaha wrote:Yes, we are all blind and imagine seeing things. It's a good thing this wiki-schmiki stuff is there to pull us out of the dark ages ;)
Girl: "They can't put anything on the Internet if it's not true..."
Boy: "Where on earth did you learn that? Let me guess: 'the Internet'... :lol:
On the other tentacle, here is a very credible explanation from NASA:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... nillusion/

I lean towards the "The Ponzo Illusion" explanation myself...
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)

Return to “bugs 1.3.0”