Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Opengl

Etrusan

Re: Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Openg

#11 Post by Etrusan » 24 Aug 2020 10:37

For anybody reading this, SCS couldn't have removed Vulcan support, if it wasn't present in the first place.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Openg

#12 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 24 Aug 2020 11:39

The only "Vulkan" implementation with ETS and ATS you get is when you use Valves Proton to play DX games on Linux via api translation from DX to Vulkan
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Leopard- Linux

#13 Post by Leopard- Linux » 23 Jan 2021 01:36

vuurdraak wrote: 24 Aug 2020 08:40 For anybody reading this, SCS seems to have removed the Vulkan capability from the current and all older patched versions of the game in Linux (at least the version I revered back to to test)

However, in the future if anybody is searching for how to enable OpenGL, if the game starts in Vulkan,
adding: opengl ,as a start up parameter will start the game in OpenGL.

----
@Madkine Interesting, thanks for the tip, as there where no further replies to my post on the highway fence, I didn't know it was a problem for everybody that got fixed eventually.
Lmao!!!!!!!!

1-) Thing you see as " Shaders are being processed" is indeed Vulkan related but that doesn't mean game got a Vulkan renderer. In fact , SCS's OpenGL renderer ( only option on Linux build ) is so *Fluffy Bunny* bad performance wise ( cpu bound , stuttery as *Fluffy Bunnies* ) people are simply running the game with Proton. Which means people are using default DX11 renderer of Windows build via DXVK which is a Vulkan based translation layer that is used on Proton for DX9-10-11 games. Shaders are from there , not from any native renderer.

2-) There is no parameter effect on native Linux build as i said , please stop taking placebo so hard.
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 27 Mar 2021 09:49, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Rule 1.1
Thorium Flakk Inc.

#14 Post by Thorium Flakk Inc. » 10 Nov 2021 00:20

vuurdraak wrote: 22 Jul 2020 17:42 I am having some major issues with the last patches of the game, I have no idea if this is Vulkan related, as I am not sure how to get the game started in OpenGL mode.
I can confirm two things here:

1. The performance on Linux has gone down the drain lately, and A LOT.
2. There used to be Vulkan shaders compiling by this game or by the steam client for this game. I don't know if its' possible this was happening erroneously, with no Vulkan API being used

Now as for #1, I have discovered that running the windows game under proton (just switch it to compatibility mode), with DirectX 64 option selected, performance is top notch. The only problem I have is alt-tabbing leaving black screen but there's ways to mitigate this, and I'm not sure it's the game's fault.

AMDGPU RX 6700 XT
Ryzen 5600x
32GiB RAM
2X NVMe SSD EVO 870 RAID1 (ZFS)
1kHz custom compiled kernel (5.14.17 currently), voluntary pre-empted

Previously I had performance issues when I switched from nvidia to amdgpu; I posted about it here and someone recommended clean new profile. I did clean new on-disk directory (under ~/.local/share/ ) and copied my configs. THAT solved the issue then. I tried the same now, but no dice. Performance is busted.

Its symptoms are simple... the game is becoming very jittery in places. Sometimes when there's complex scenery (cities), sometimes when there's not. If I park the truck and just observe the passing traffic, they jitter A LOT. Incidentally the game still reports relatively high framerate, ~60. When that happens, the game is still very responsive and there's no input lag. This is definitely something in the rendering layer.
Synchro

#15 Post by Synchro » 11 Nov 2021 20:28

vuurdraak wrote: 24 Aug 2020 08:40 For anybody reading this, SCS seems to have removed the Vulkan capability from the current and all older patched versions of the game in Linux (at least the version I revered back to to test)

However, in the future if anybody is searching for how to enable OpenGL, if the game starts in Vulkan,
adding: opengl ,as a start up parameter will start the game in OpenGL.

----
@Madkine Interesting, thanks for the tip, as there where no further replies to my post on the highway fence, I didn't know it was a problem for everybody that got fixed eventually.
There is no Vulkan renderer for this game, the only time you can get any kind of Vulkan renderer is if you are using DXVK and running the game in Proton. Any time you see 'processing Vulkan shaders' in Steam is just a generic placeholder text for Shader Pre-Caching which happens for both Vulkan and OpenGL shaders and can appear when running them the first time or restarting steam.

[ external image ]

Posting blatantly wrong information doesn't help anything at all.
Last edited by supersobes on 12 Nov 2021 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image link to embed properly.
SchulzX777

#16 Post by SchulzX777 » 14 Nov 2021 01:35

I am currently playing under the Native ETS2 version. Surprisingly, the game runs very satisfactorily, at least for me! With Steam Proton runs ETS2 actually also well, but there are always small jerks even without mods etc... I have remedied this under OpenGL so the native version of ETS2. You simply set V-Sync in economy mode for laptop, so you have then 30 FPS but thereby runs the game with me absolutely without jerks, so consistently 30 FPS. Except when you enter large cities there are sometimes FPS dips, especially at night when the lighting must be calculated. So I play with the graphics setting Ultra (standard) and it runs really great. I play the whole thing on a computer that is over 10 years old:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
16 GB RAM
4 GB AMD Radeon 380X Sapphire

Operating system is the current Manjaro KDE.

So if you limit the FPS to 30 ETS2 could run smoother under OpenGL, maybe it helps someone here...
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM DDR4-2667
Graphics card: ASUS RX Vega 56
Sound card: Soundblaster Z
Gamepad: Steam Controller
Operating system: Manjaro KDE
Thorium Flakk Inc.

#17 Post by Thorium Flakk Inc. » 17 Nov 2021 20:52

SchulzX777 wrote: 14 Nov 2021 01:35So if you limit the FPS to 30 ETS2 could run smoother under OpenGL, maybe it helps someone here...
Oh wow, yes! This helped tremendously! The lower framerate is not really that noticeable, but it's smooth, stable and consistent!
SchulzX777

#18 Post by SchulzX777 » 17 Nov 2021 21:36

Thorium Flakk Inc. wrote: 17 Nov 2021 20:52
SchulzX777 wrote: 14 Nov 2021 01:35So if you limit the FPS to 30 ETS2 could run smoother under OpenGL, maybe it helps someone here...
Oh wow, yes! This helped tremendously! The lower framerate is not really that noticeable, but it's smooth, stable and consistent!
Good evening.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'm glad that things are going a little better for you too. 8-)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM DDR4-2667
Graphics card: ASUS RX Vega 56
Sound card: Soundblaster Z
Gamepad: Steam Controller
Operating system: Manjaro KDE

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”