Force Feedback support

Edwin

Force Feedback support

#1 Post by Edwin » 31 Mar 2014 20:42

I recently got a Driving Force GT. The basic steeringn function works great after putting it in 900 degrees mode. However, force feedback support appears to be non-existant. I was somewhat surprised because the rumble functions work fine on XB360 controllers.

I did a bit of digging into Linux force feedback support and it appears that support for steering wheels is limited to 'contstant force' and 'auto center' functions. I tried quite a bit, but I couldn't get auto center to work at all. The constant force option, which I'm guessing is the most important for wheels, works perfectly though.

I also did some digging through this forum, but couldn't find anything clear and recent.

So my question is, what's the current state of force feedback support for Linux? Is something different or missing that makes wheels harder than controllers?

Edwin

Re: Force Feedback support

#2 Post by Edwin » 01 Apr 2014 22:59

Since driving without force feedback feels really weird, I modified the code to the standard 'ffcfstress' tool to provide some force from outside the game. That way it actually feels like you're turning something.

Is telemetry support available in Linux in some form? I could use that to make it dependent on speed.

unknown_zombie

#3 Post by unknown_zombie » 15 Oct 2014 00:06

I just got a Logitech G27 this week and I'm super excited about it. I have to agree, though, that it feels very strange to use it with no resistance.

Is force feedback for Linux something that's still being worked on?

I would rather not use the wheel's default auto-centering because it will be active even when I'm parked, which is also strange.

Edwin

#4 Post by Edwin » 16 Oct 2014 08:07

unknown_zombie wrote:Is force feedback for Linux something that's still being worked on?
It turned out that the bigger problem was with the driver, which I'm currently working to fix. So keep your eyes on this thread.

I'm not entirely sure that the FF code is entirely correct though. Even with full hardware support, the ff still feels way off.

50keda
SCS Software

#5 Post by 50keda » 18 Oct 2014 08:48

Well guys I also stared using ETS2 on Linux and I got working autocenter for G27 but still no FF from street and stuff :/

And if you are interested how to get working autocenter function you should take a look into this project:
https://github.com/TripleSpeeder/LTWheelConf
1. I downloaded it and build it like it was written in readme.
2. I created an sh script which can be used to run game and later enable autocenter function:

Code: Select all

sudo ltwheelconf -w G27 --native
sudo -u simon steam steam://rungameid/227300
sudo -u simon sleep 10
sudo ltwheelconf -d /dev/input/by-id/usb-046d_G27_Racing_Wheel-event-joystick -b 30
PS: You might use your own /dev/input values which can be found out directly by typing /dev/input into terminal and using tabulator to autocomplete and get suggestions. Also sleep time might needs to be tweaked because if game won't run in 10 seconds then it won't work. It works for me because I get to main menu in few seconds ;) if you still don't know how to use the script just ask down there ;)

Take care,

unknown_zombie

#6 Post by unknown_zombie » 23 Oct 2014 23:20

Edwin wrote:
unknown_zombie wrote:Is force feedback for Linux something that's still being worked on?
It turned out that the bigger problem was with the driver, which I'm currently working to fix. So keep your eyes on this thread.

I'm not entirely sure that the FF code is entirely correct though. Even with full hardware support, the ff still feels way off.
Ok, sounds good!

Are you working on the kernel driver? Or making a separate userspace driver?

I'm glad to hear you're working on it.
50keda wrote:Well guys I also stared using ETS2 on Linux and I got working autocenter for G27 but still no FF from street and stuff :/

And if you are interested how to get working autocenter function you should take a look into this project:
https://github.com/TripleSpeeder/LTWheelConf
I have used LTWheelConf but, as stated, it feels strange because it is always applying autocenter force (even when parked). I would like to have the game applying force itself, so that it would feel more realistic because game will apply force relative to your speed.

50keda
SCS Software

#7 Post by 50keda » 24 Oct 2014 07:05

@unknown_zombie: yeah I know but better with always applying autocenter then without ;)

unknown_zombie

#8 Post by unknown_zombie » 05 Nov 2014 00:07

I have been playing lately with the wheel's autocentering, but the large deadzone in the middle where there is no resistance is very distracting. It also makes it difficult to tell when you've really got the wheel centered, causing you to drift left and right a lot..

Edwin, will the driver you're working on allow us to reduce the FFB deadzone like the plugin that is available for the windows version does?

Edwin

#9 Post by Edwin » 08 Nov 2014 23:36

The goal is to get at least the same functionality as windows and maybe something beyond that. The details are still under debate.

Harald-RS

#10 Post by Harald-RS » 22 Nov 2014 18:06

I have the Logitech GT.

I then manipulated the same one as in the G27?
Greetings,
Harald
Member of ACTROS 5 CREW
---
Sorry for my bad english, i from germany. I use Translators deepl.com / google.de
---
I will not distribute a modified mods without permission from the original creator / author!

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”