Force Feedback support

50keda
SCS Software

Re: Force Feedback support

#61 Post by 50keda » 15 Dec 2017 23:05

@moozad: well I went otherway around. For now I was working only with "/dev/input/eventX" because I didn't know leds could be used this way. So now I have to somehow come from input event to hid devices...hm

moozaad

#62 Post by moozaad » 16 Dec 2017 13:10

I won't be surprised if you can use both APIs at the same time, but I'm not too familiar with either API (docs for these always seem too light). It might be worth contacting the maintainer of that driver (Simon Wood) and asking the best way to implement it. I believe your options are hidraw or input - but I don't know if input gives you LED access. It doesn't seem to register the LED class on HID (see lsusb -v) so must be as part of a raw write?

@alexxxx - no I've not had a chance to play around yet but it might be something that needs tweaking in the source as I can't see an option in the ini. The little deadzone does kind of remind me of older vehicles where there was more play in the steering rack, you'd just need to increase the steering dead zone to match.

50keda
SCS Software

#63 Post by 50keda » 17 Dec 2017 02:29

@moozaad: it's done, I am using both /dev/input and /sys/bus/hid. First one for FF second for LEDs. Today I managed to make it work, tomorrow small tweaks and implementation of special 50k LED mode.

My LED mode will use first green LED for indicators :) So it will blink with left or right blinker. Rest of the leds will be able to use any of 7 modes that Supric implemented.

Oh and yes I could also implement realtime switching between the modes as Supric did....

moozaad

#64 Post by moozaad » 17 Dec 2017 12:14

niiiiice :) So you're actually using /sys as a fs? /shrug whatever works!!

New download?

Oh, is there any deadzone hardcoded into the plugin. It's def not in the ini but there's about 2-3 degrees deadzone for the FF on G29, it'd be nice to tighten that up?

50keda
SCS Software

#65 Post by 50keda » 17 Dec 2017 15:13

@moozaad: I am working on live mode switch right now (currently having problems how would user know which button number to assign to ini file). Once I finish that I will most probably publish it.

@deadzone: well that's issue of logitech wheels and for sure there is no deadzone in calcs ;)

moozaad

#66 Post by moozaad » 18 Dec 2017 09:34

I think with the deadzone, it's an artefact of the ff being very strong at the start of the ff ramp. More testing required but I'll wait for the updated plugin and fiddle all at once.

50keda
SCS Software

#67 Post by 50keda » 18 Dec 2017 22:13

Just so you who comes to this thread know, there's been release of this plugin as I got almost everything to work, so go and get it ;)
Link to dedicated thread: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=249622

srothe

#68 Post by srothe » 27 Dec 2017 11:29

Hi @50keda.

I used the plugin for 2 weeks now (Linux, Ubuntu 14.04, Kernel 4.4) on latest Steam version of ETS 2. Works perfectly well. I understand you are still working on the LED's.

Force-Feedback when rumbling over a threshold is a nice experience. The only remark I'd have is that turning the wheel feels a bit like there's gravel in the mechanism. However, since I lack experience with the wheel on windows or other games, this can just be a generic comment, no critics. If it is normal like this, then all good :-).

Looking forward to new versions or final :-).
Great job, man!

EDIT: I see this driver is already released. Works like a charm! :D

brashertreyshawn

#69 Post by brashertreyshawn » 12 Oct 2019 03:23

Edwin wrote:
31 Mar 2014 20:42
I recently got a Driving Force GT. The basic steeringn function works great after putting it in 900 degrees mode. However, force feedback support appears to be non-existant. I was somewhat surprised because the rumble functions work fine on XB360 controllers.

I did a bit of digging into Linux force feedback support and it appears that support for steering wheels is limited to 'contstant force' and 'auto center' functions. I tried quite a bit, but I couldn't get auto center to work at all. The constant force option, which I'm guessing is the most important for wheels, works perfectly though.

I also did some digging through this forum, but couldn't find anything clear and recent.

So my question is, what's the current state of force feedback support for Linux? Is something different or missing that makes wheels harder than controllers?
there is no resistance is very distracting. It also makes it difficult to tell when you've really got the wheel centered, causing you to drift left and right a lot..

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”