[SOLVED] It works-Linux MP3 support

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Linux MP3 support

#11 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Aug 2019 09:02

Suse Linux is payed software, Open SUSE is free, it has it already in its name OPEN suse,
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Leopard- Linux

#12 Post by Leopard- Linux » 22 Aug 2019 23:33

So? Red Hat is also paid because they include official support for those services. That is also same for Ubuntu Server stuff.

https://buy.ubuntu.com/

I still don't get what in the hell Linux MP3 support and those distros are related. Just ; how?
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 23 Aug 2019 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed. Don't quote the post directly above.

xXCARL1992Xx

#13 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 Aug 2019 08:27

just because the patent ended (the need to license the MP3 support from Technicolor and/or Fraunhofer) doesnt mean you can start to integrate it in everything you can, if you already have a license, nothing changes for you, if you dont, you still have to contact Fraunhofer because not everything of the MP3 codec is free of use now

https://www.audioblog.iis.fraunhofer.co ... s-licenses

a little bit reading before posting would do wonders
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

OrionXIII

#14 Post by OrionXIII » 27 Aug 2019 18:40

Leopard- Linux wrote:
22 Aug 2019 23:33
I still don't get what in the hell Linux MP3 support and those distros are related. Just ; how?
Because the patent has expired, but mpg123 is still not opensource. Which means you still have to license it in order to use it. Microsoft has paid for the license, and Windows users automatically accept the terms and conditions that come with it, so games running on Windows don't have to license it one more time. On Linux, however, it could happen multiple ways.

* It could license mpg123, and bundle it with the terms and conditions of the distro - like SUSE Linux and openSUSE does.
* It could omit the license, but allow the user to accept the license on his/her own behalf, and manually install it - like Debian/Ubuntu does it.
* It could stand against anything that is not opensource, and deny it altogether.

On the other hand

* SCS could include the license in their games. Let's face it, it's not going to happen anytime soon - too much work for too little gain.
* They could optionally enable those who accept the TC. Just like games did in the early-2000s with their weird audio/video codecs.
* If their distribution includes, or the user accepted the mpg123 license (see 2nd point of the list above) the game could use it. I think it might work right now, but I have never tried it.

As we have noted before, installing things and accepting licenses without the acknowledge of the user is generally a bad behaviour (in the FOSS community at least).

However, the OGG format is more well-thought than mpg123 in almost every aspect, so I see no reason to add support. They could do it as an errand, but let's face it, ETS2 could use the calculating time better somewhere else.

Leopard- Linux

#15 Post by Leopard- Linux » 28 Aug 2019 00:50

Oof. You are really dumb , sorry.

First of all ; you have some weird thought like if something is not open source it won't be on Linux. Wrong. Wth , distros ship firware which are closed source blobs. Like intel or amd's microcode updates and Nvidia drivers are few another examples.

Second; for years you can literally install a distro like Ubuntu or Mint and have working mp3 support. Just ootb. Basically by checking install 3rd party codecs at installation proces. You can do it after installation also.

Third; https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm ... s/mp3.html

Fourth; lol.

`They could do it as an errand, but let's face it, ETS2 could use the calculating time better somewhere else.`

I don't even know what to say to this. It is not like something they didn't do and it is simply a trivial stuff.
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 28 Aug 2019 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed. Don't quote the post directly above, don't pyramid quote.

brashertreyshawn

#16 Post by brashertreyshawn » 11 Oct 2019 02:04

Leopard- Linux wrote:
19 Apr 2019 11:11
Hi , i know that is not a bug rather a lack of function.

While Windows version supports mp3 playback , Linux build only supports ogg.

Iirc most of the mp3 licenses already expired which means there will be no royalty fee to use an mp3 codec.
Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire
Can this be added on Linux builds in future updates?
I can play even h265 videos on my Linux machine , with my Nvidia closed source drivers while playing games on Steam ( which is also a prop app )

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”