Successful launch of map editor in Linux

yaumeister

Successful launch of map editor in Linux

#1 Post by yaumeister » 17 Jul 2019 00:04

In case if it's useful to anyone, I've managed to get the map editor working in Linux (Ubuntu), here's a few key points on how I did it.

- I have Steam (native install) and ETS2 installed, no need to mess with this and reserve it for playing.
- Install Steam Flatpak, so you basically have another instance of Steam on your machine. Good thing is as it's in its own container, doesn't impact your native version.
- Once that's done, launch it and select ETS2 in your library and open Properties.
- Tick "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool", and choose the latest (tried on 4.2.9).
- Install ETS2, this forces Steam to download the Windows version and use Steam Play / Proton to run the game.
- Once installed, go do the usual things to enable the map editor.
- Edit the config file for g_developer and g_console, it's at /home/<USERNAME>/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/227300/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Euro Truck Simulator 2.
- Create base/map folders for saving, it's at /home/<USERNAME>/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Euro Truck Simulator 2.
- Launch game, make sure you are in windowed mode (not fullscreen), open console and "edit". Works well in DX9 mode, tried DX11 but the menu UI randomly disappears.
Lexx

Re: Successful launch of map editor in Linux

#2 Post by Lexx » 17 Jul 2019 07:30

I know of that way and frankly using Wine to install Steam for Windows is a lot easier than dealing with Flatpak. Not to mention that with Wine the path to the config file is a lot shorter and easier to remember and find. IDK which Wine version is available for Ubuntu but here on Arch we're already with Wine 4.12 and things happen like magic. Not to mention that with Wine you have the option to do a dll override, if necessary and you can choose which version of Windows to simulate.

But I'd prefer if SCS found a way to make the map editor work natively on Linux.
My mods for other games
Sharkoon S25-W, AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
Corsair CX750, Corsair Force LE 120 GB, Western Digital 1.5 TB, Arch Linux KDE x64, Firefox x64
Topolino.

#3 Post by Topolino. » 18 Apr 2020 08:31

Thank you for that.
Tested in 1.36/1.37 with Ubuntu-based distributions (Mint 19.3, Kubuntu 20.04, Xubuntu 19.10), I had to add the following launch options in Steam:

Code: Select all

PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 %command% -no-cef-sandbox -edit europe
With these options, the map editor works without major problems for me.
EuRoadNet team leader
MappingOnLinux! (Manjaro KDE)
KeganMinecraft

#4 Post by KeganMinecraft » 02 Apr 2022 17:57

for anyone wondering if this still works it works in 1.43
anomayooose

#5 Post by anomayooose » 08 Jul 2022 14:26

Ive been trying to do this, once I install ets2 on flatpak w/ proton and run it it just kinda.. doesent. It comes up with launch options, once you select one and play it it just stops. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, nothing.

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”