Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Opengl

vuurdraak

Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Opengl

#1 Post by vuurdraak » 22 Jul 2020 17:42

I am having some major issues with the last patches of the game, I have no idea if this is Vulkan related, as I am not sure how to get the game started in OpenGL mode.

Was Vulkan introduced a few patches back ?

The game became actually unplayable on my AMD FX 8370E, and I crashed my truck multiple times, because the game suddenly stopped for like a full second or so, before continuing, causing my vehicle to crash in to stuff.
But since I was planning to upgrade my CPU, I didn't bother with coming to the forum here, but I now notice the same behavior on my new rig, although the stuttering in the game, even though it's much less now, is still happening now and then, only not severely enough to make the game totally unplayable, but it has forced me to set graphics setting more down even though I got a faster CPU, to minimize the stuttering.

So I was looking around the forum to see if I could start up the game in OpenGL mode to see if Vulkan is the problem, only searching the web I can not find a startup command to make the game run in OpenGL mode rather then Vulkan.
I have another game that works bad in Vulkan, but works great in OpenGL not sure what is going on here as other Vulkan games run fine.

The game was running fine a few patches back, now it's horrible, in both ETS2 & ATS.

The first time I had this problem was after buying "Road to the Black Sea" when I started to notice big problems with the game. I didn't buy "Road to the Black Sea" when it just came out, but only a few months back when I noticed it with a small discount of 10% on Steam, I think it was march??, so maybe this problem is in there for a few patches already, as it sort of stopped me enjoying the game and playing it, I didn't think much of it other then bad new map design loading at first, untill I noticed the "Vulkan shaders" loading box before the game started now a days, so I started to wonder if this is Vulkan related.

Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS 64bit
Nvidia 440.100 driver

Ryzen 5 3600
Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
16GB RAM
1440p set
Running from a TLC SSD

Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Openg

#2 Post by Madkine » 26 Jul 2020 09:17

I don't know the OpenGl command in Linux, but Vulkan has not been added and is at best a few years away.

vuurdraak

Re: Bad performance since a few patches back & is there a Opengl startup parameter I can give to start the game in Openg

#3 Post by vuurdraak » 26 Jul 2020 15:11

When ETS2 starts in Linux it is processing Vulkan shaders, that told me it is running in Vulkan, else there would be no point in processing Vulkan shaders, maybe the Windows version has no Vulkan support ??? The Windows version will normally start in DirectX anyway, so most people would not try OpenGL or Vulkan.

How ever I tried some command line startup things to see if I could figure out my self to start the game in OpenGL mode.
And I discovered simply giving the command line/startup parameter a: opengl

, seems to make the game start in OpenGL mode, I can tell because it no longer says "processing Vulkan shaders" when the game starts, and I can also tell cause the visual frame rate is lower.

I have also tried a newer graphics driver, Nvidia 450, and something weird happened, when playing the game some time, it started to slow down and stutter, it didn't happen immediately, really weird, so i reverted back to the 440.100 driver which seems to work best atm.

I don't know if I have broken something in my OS when upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04, that could also be a possibility, as that was around the same time when I started to see problems in ETS2 & ATS, also I have noticed in another game recently that it paused for a moment and then continued, so maybe there is something wrong with my OS rather then ETS2, I will format my disk and do a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS when I got the time, see if that fixes stuff.

Still I see a lot of stuttering in Vulkan mode that I don't see in OpenGL mode, OpenGL looks smoother even though it's running seemingly at a lower frame rate, I didn't have the time to properly investigate more atm, at least I can now try both modes.

vuurdraak

#4 Post by vuurdraak » 28 Jul 2020 10:01

Update:

I just noticed that since the latest patch, the game no longer says "Processing Vulkan shaders" and seems to now run just in OpenGL mode only, to make sure that I didn't imagine stuff, I went back to beta patch 1.38, and yes it then says "Processing Vulkan shaders" on game start, and it doesn't do it when adding "opengl" to the startup command line/launch options.

The latest patch is doing something weird, after playing some time, and most times after going back and forth to the menu with pressing ESCape, the game starts to weirdly go in slowmo mode, and becomes unplayable, like if its doing 5 fps or what ever stuttering all along the way, restarting the game, makes it go away then, I can not remember that the game was doing that before, but I will shortly test drive the previous 1.38 patch see what happens, first I thought the 450 driver was at fault, but it's doing this also in the latest patch with the 440 driver, very weird. This sort of happens roughly after driving around 400~500 in game kilometers, and presents it self most times after visiting the menu, but I think I have seen it too even without going to the menu.

------
Just did a test drive with beta patch 1.38:

First I used Vulkan mode, and something weird happened, the game started to go in to slowmo stutter mode this time right after exiting the 'pick up point' while driving in somebody else their truck as a hired trucker. So it is happening also in the previous patch.
Then I tried OpenGL mode, drove a small tour as a contractor of 120km, and went in to the menu and then drove my own truck, and then the game went in to slowmo stutter mode, as soon as I drove my own truck, allthough less stuttery then in Vulkan mode which looked even worse.

Not sure what is happening, as I have noticed when starting Dota2 the startup/introduction movie before you get in to the game menu looks a bit stuttery too, all is fine when in game though, but it makes me suspicious this stuttering is more then just ETS2 and/or Dota2 being at fault, other wise I don't notice any problems with games though.
Still it seems weird, the game runs normally and suddenly ETS2 gets in to stutter mode, I am going to check different drivers and set my RAM timings back to default settings first to see if this makes any difference, all though the RAM has passed more then 8 hours of Memtest64 doing nearly 3 full loops without errors, I want to make sure that it doesn't make a difference, and see also if it makes a difference to the startup Dota2 stuff, as mentioned before there might also be a problem in other unseen ways with my current OS upgrade, I can't exclude anything at this point.

Etrusan

#5 Post by Etrusan » 28 Jul 2020 14:14

Again, the game either runs in DX11 or OGL. There is no Vulcan.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5GHz; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net

vuurdraak

#6 Post by vuurdraak » 21 Aug 2020 07:45

Something popped in to my mind, more then halve a year a go (20 Dec 2019), I had a problem with ETS2, where a fence was strait across the highway a FENCE on the HIGHWAY 45 , I wondered then if this is/was an anti crack trickery that is not working properly in a fully legal Linux Steam ETS2 client, as it was there without any mods installed, and nobody from SCS every replied to this, so I figured this might be supposed to be there if you are running a cracked version of the game???

I am starting to wonder if my current problems are the same, the game starting to do weird stuff after playing a while, being misbehaving anti crack tech ???

Here is a picture of my legal version of ETS2 in Steam SCS....

I guess I will have to live with this new 'bug' and keep restarting the game as soon as it becomes unplayable, as every thing else works properly, I am not in a hurry to format and install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to see if this fixes this problem in ETS2 & ATS.

@Etrusan You are running the game in Windows and have no clue what is happening in Linux, when games in "Linux/Steam" start, which are running in Vulkan, Steam/The game , will process Vulkan shaders before the game starts, I guess to cache them, there is a popup Window that is saying that with a timer, so it's pretty clear when a game is running in Vulkan or not, also the performance of ETS2 and how choppy it looks is completely different.

Etrusan

#7 Post by Etrusan » 21 Aug 2020 10:26

The game can't run in Vulcan if it doesn't have Vulkan API implemented, which it doesn't. The game engine only supports DX11 and OGL as of now.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5GHz; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net

Madkine
Global moderator

#8 Post by Madkine » 22 Aug 2020 08:55

vuurdraak wrote:
21 Aug 2020 07:45
Something popped in to my mind, more then halve a year a go (20 Dec 2019), I had a problem with ETS2, where a fence was strait across the highway a FENCE on the HIGHWAY 45 , I wondered then if this is/was an anti crack trickery that is not working properly in a fully legal Linux Steam ETS2 client, as it was there without any mods installed, and nobody from SCS every replied to this, so I figured this might be supposed to be there if you are running a cracked version of the game???
The fence on the highway was a bug that appeared in every ones game and was quickly patched out.

vuurdraak

#9 Post by vuurdraak » 24 Aug 2020 08:40

For anybody reading this, SCS seems to have removed the Vulkan capability from the current and all older patched versions of the game in Linux (at least the version I revered back to to test)

However, in the future if anybody is searching for how to enable OpenGL, if the game starts in Vulkan,
adding: opengl ,as a start up parameter will start the game in OpenGL.

----
@Madkine Interesting, thanks for the tip, as there where no further replies to my post on the highway fence, I didn't know it was a problem for everybody that got fixed eventually.

plykkegaard

#10 Post by plykkegaard » 24 Aug 2020 09:09

Nice conspiration theory
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”