need some clarifications about ETS2 in linux

trick

need some clarifications about ETS2 in linux

#1 Post by trick » 30 Jul 2020 21:18

hello all
i intend at some point put Linux on my main computer,
i was wondering if there were things i should be aware of about the gaming experience on Linux; any ups or downs i should know?,
any issues with stability? and mainly how is the performance?
i saw quit a few videos on YouTube and every thing seems to be running fine.

I'll probably install Pop_os since with laptops with dual graphics it's the easiest to configure and also stable even though i don't like Gnome/Ubuntu and would have preferred installing Manjaro on which i had a great experience on my secondary laptop.

also i intend on playing with Steam Proton and was wondering why is this section called Linux beta testing;isn't it like any windows game played with the right tools on Linux?or is there a special version that doesn't require Proton,lutris or the sort?

Topolino.

Re: need some clarifications about ETS2 in linux

#2 Post by Topolino. » 05 Aug 2020 19:18

A late answer, haven't seen this before.
I'll probably install Pop_os since with laptops with dual graphics it's the easiest to configure and also stable even though i don't like Gnome/Ubuntu
I don't get your point. Pop_OS uses GNOME as desktop environment and is based on Ubuntu. So if you don't like Ubuntu/GNOME, I also won't recomment Pop_OS. If you like a Windows-like user interface, try KDE Plasma, for example on Manjaro which I also use. (The great thing of Arch/Manjaro is the AUR.)
also i intend on playing with Steam Proton and was wondering why is this section called Linux beta testing;isn't it like any windows game played with the right tools on Linux?or is there a special version that doesn't require Proton,lutris or the sort?
ETS2 natively runs Linux; you won't need Proton. Except you want to use the map editor, you'll have to use Proton. That's what I am doing. But when you play with high graphics settings, the native version runs better than the Proton version (at least on my PC).
EuRoadNet team leader
MappingOnLinux! (Manjaro KDE)

trick

Re: need some clarifications about ETS2 in linux

#3 Post by trick » 06 Aug 2020 10:06

i meant that despite the fact that i don't like GNOME,I'll probably install Pop_os anyway since with laptops with dual graphics it's the easiest to configure out of the box and the less troublesome.

Return to “Linux Beta Testing”