NaturaLux working in 1.38 and 1.39

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
koolizz

Re: NaturaLux working in 1.38 and 1.39

#81 Post by koolizz » 22 Nov 2020 22:48

Jolakottur wrote:
22 Nov 2020 22:38
Nope... Clumsy posted a video a few days ago and apparently the only way to get it working on ATS 1.39 is if you were one of the happy few to be part of the closed beta when it was still ongoing. So, for the vast majority of us, that means no more NL with ATS, since that version is very unlikely to be available anywhere. The version of NL for ATS you could find on various sites just won't work, even with the fix files.
Thats a damn shame. I just wish someone would upload the closed beta at this point, this is getting ridiculous. I mean the mod is abandoned more or less and only a few beta testers have it. Or perhaps something could be done to the version on various sites for 1.38 to get it to work, right now it crashes on loading screen, for me too. I tried looking in the game.log but couldnt see anything of interest. The whole "closed beta" argument so long after it released is quite ridiculous. This isn't payware and its not really in a beta anymore, its kind of ridiculous to claim that when nothing happens since 1.36. They aren't "beta testing" anything anymore. The modder abandoned it, these people were lucky. Way I see it, someone might as well share it at this point. This kind of "modder loyalty" from these beta testers for long abandoned freeware mods kind of makes me cringe. Thereto I understand the download process for Naturalux was some of the most obnoxious stuff ever, making you sign up several accounts and filling out forms and what not. So I am not sure why they are feeling such loyalty towards the originator when its freeware with such a hassle to get a hold of it. Its not like the mod author can sue someone for stealing his SCS assets based mod and uploading it, lol. Oh well. Guess I'll never understand some modders and the community around them.

Moreover, it freaking grinds my gears that there is STILL no single proper high definition weather and sky mod for ATS for 1440p or 4K. RGM is poor quality, ProjectNG is decent but has dead-ish lighting, JBX is probably the best but looks like a weird filter is applied and not natural. The most natural at this point is probably still ProjectNG with a custom reshade. Naturalux was the only hope for a high definition natural looking weather mod so this sucks so hard. I guess we have to look to the future and hope someone makes something even better down the road.

Jolakottur

#82 Post by Jolakottur » 23 Nov 2020 10:22

From what I've seen, the upcoming JBX update may settle the fight for a while, Juan's done a good work taking feedback into consideration and the lighting looks a lot more natural and warm. It should come out soon.

In the meantime, I agree with you, PNG rules, yeah. Grimes Early Autumn is also really good, although some of the skies may get pixelated on higher res.

Jevsenak

#83 Post by Jevsenak » 25 Nov 2020 17:14

Thank you for fix.
I only have one situation when i drive offroad there is no "dust" texture. Did anyone had same problems?

Pfc. Leyden

#84 Post by Pfc. Leyden » 25 Nov 2020 18:20

koolizz wrote:
22 Nov 2020 22:48
Jolakottur wrote:
22 Nov 2020 22:38
Nope... Clumsy posted a video a few days ago and apparently the only way to get it working on ATS 1.39 is if you were one of the happy few to be part of the closed beta when it was still ongoing. So, for the vast majority of us, that means no more NL with ATS, since that version is very unlikely to be available anywhere. The version of NL for ATS you could find on various sites just won't work, even with the fix files.
Thats a damn shame. I just wish someone would upload the closed beta at this point, this is getting ridiculous. I mean the mod is abandoned more or less and only a few beta testers have it. Or perhaps something could be done to the version on various sites for 1.38 to get it to work, right now it crashes on loading screen, for me too. I tried looking in the game.log but couldnt see anything of interest. The whole "closed beta" argument so long after it released is quite ridiculous. This isn't payware and its not really in a beta anymore, its kind of ridiculous to claim that when nothing happens since 1.36. They aren't "beta testing" anything anymore. The modder abandoned it, these people were lucky. Way I see it, someone might as well share it at this point. This kind of "modder loyalty" from these beta testers for long abandoned freeware mods kind of makes me cringe. Thereto I understand the download process for Naturalux was some of the most obnoxious stuff ever, making you sign up several accounts and filling out forms and what not. So I am not sure why they are feeling such loyalty towards the originator when its freeware with such a hassle to get a hold of it. Its not like the mod author can sue someone for stealing his SCS assets based mod and uploading it, lol. Oh well. Guess I'll never understand some modders and the community around them.

Moreover, it freaking grinds my gears that there is STILL no single proper high definition weather and sky mod for ATS for 1440p or 4K. RGM is poor quality, ProjectNG is decent but has dead-ish lighting, JBX is probably the best but looks like a weird filter is applied and not natural. The most natural at this point is probably still ProjectNG with a custom reshade. Naturalux was the only hope for a high definition natural looking weather mod so this sucks so hard. I guess we have to look to the future and hope someone makes something even better down the road.
Thank you for those words, I agree a 110 percent! It is indeed unbelievably annoying that there's no high quality mod except NaturaLux, let alone the game developers would manage to provide 2020 adequate graphics but that would probably be too much to ask. Also this "I guess we have to be patient and hope that, in the future, there'll be someone who makes another mod or makes NL work again" almost enrages me. How much more are we supposed to wait, the game released eight! years ago and we are still stuck with graphics that look like exactly that period! It's an endless wait. I remember when NL was announced, during development you got a few teasers now and then, and after an unfathomably long wait, it eventually released to the public, only for the author to literally disappear and abandon it a few months later. You can't possibly make that up.

mcelcreeper

#85 Post by mcelcreeper » 26 Nov 2020 18:42

And how come no-one has taken it over? One of the best graphics mods, not only to speak of being free, just disappears off of the market. Such a shame
Developer of the Latvia rebuild map and the UAE Map
Latvia Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=287582; Discord: https://discord.gg/PM5m8qb
Updated: 13.11.20
UAE Map (WIP): viewtopic.php?f=32&t=292371; Discord: https://discord.gg/3hrVP9GYq4

Jolakottur

#86 Post by Jolakottur » 26 Nov 2020 21:33

Well , besides the current status of this mod (still officially on hold, even though the outcome seems more ineluctable everyday), maybe it's just that not so many in our great gaming community can really master all the lighting tweaks and various effects to build, improve or even keep quality updates to an outstanding weather mod. Plus, contrary to most of the other free weather mods, NL uses up to 8K or even 16K skyboxes if I'm right, which perhaps aren't that easy to find and edit and probably don't come for free either unless you have photography skills to make your own (I'm taking JBX's word for it, as he's apparently spent some heavy dough to gather his 80-something ultra high res skyboxes).

Also, I have no idea whether that's for real or just a misunderstanding due to bad translation, but I stumbled upon a post on Reddit a while ago, prior to the release of 1.39, saying that SCS was working on a major graphic overhaul for the game, based on some SiSL interview by SimulasyonTurk in which he's said to have claimed that the game looks would soon improve to a point where none of the current graphic mods could come close. I've never been able to retrieve those words, tbh, hence the doubtful tone.

Watermark

#87 Post by Watermark » 26 Nov 2020 23:54

@Jolakottur that story with Sisl probably falls under the category of myths and legends from the "undergrowth" of the internet, also called Reddit... :)

Jolakottur

#88 Post by Jolakottur » 27 Nov 2020 06:38

What? But I thought everything that's on the internet is true? :o :mrgreen: More seriously, thanks, I kinda had that same feeling, not having been able to find any more reliable source, but still managed to get carried away by hope!

mcelcreeper

#89 Post by mcelcreeper » 27 Nov 2020 20:56

It's still undeniable that the game needs a graphics overhaul at some point. I mean, it's soon going to be 10 years old, and buying/making new sky boxes and modifying the game engine and textures to fit the 2020s should be a priority for SCS. However, as with all things, revamping the base game is unlikely to attract more customers, hence new hap DLCs, and if better graphics or a different season option are to be introduced (seeing the amount of work that would be needed to be put in) would be in the form of a DLC) this particular graphics DLC, though, may be seen as very unappealing to new users and may make SCS look like EA or someone profiting off of only unending DLCs which are essentially required for the game to be playable. In the end, the base game is only likely to be improved via minor new technologies like the recent addition of SMAA or something similar – not a DLC.
Developer of the Latvia rebuild map and the UAE Map
Latvia Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=287582; Discord: https://discord.gg/PM5m8qb
Updated: 13.11.20
UAE Map (WIP): viewtopic.php?f=32&t=292371; Discord: https://discord.gg/3hrVP9GYq4

Watermark

#90 Post by Watermark » 30 Nov 2020 20:02

Maybe we were wrong, it seems they are doing some overhaul to the game engine and lighting system according to the latest blog post, remains to be seen how extensive and how good it will look.

Return to “Help requests”