Logitech G27: Force feedback loss

Roamer

Logitech G27: Force feedback loss

#1 Post by Roamer » 09 Jul 2013 19:01

Having just gone v1.3.1>1.4.1 I'm having problems with force feedback loss using my G27 wheel. Unlike previously, when the program first loads it appears to turn off the force f/b motors (wheel loose) until Drive is selected (Volvo FH engine off when last autosaved) when it has my preferred stiffness set by the Control panel sliders for force feedback. As soon as the engine is started, the wheel goes loose again. Stopping the engine returns the feedback to normal stiffness. No mods are activated. The wheel continues to work normally with my previous SCS Scania Truck Driving simulator (this only has controls for f/b centering and gain - both kept at maximum) under all conditions.
Komat
SCS Software

Re: Logitech G27: Force feedback loss

#2 Post by Komat » 09 Jul 2013 19:37

Roamer wrote:Having just gone v1.3.1> Drive is selected (Volvo FH engine off when last autosaved) when it has my preferred stiffness set by the Control panel sliders for force feedback. As soon as the engine is started, the wheel goes loose again. Stopping the engine returns the feedback to normal stiffness.
This is a intended behavior. It simulates effect of the power steering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering).
Thetrucksimaddict

#3 Post by Thetrucksimaddict » 09 Jul 2013 20:31

Roamer wrote:Having just gone v1.3.1>1.4.1 I'm having problems with force feedback loss using my G27 wheel. Unlike previously, when the program first loads it appears to turn off the force f/b motors (wheel loose) until Drive is selected (Volvo FH engine off when last autosaved) when it has my preferred stiffness set by the Control panel sliders for force feedback. As soon as the engine is started, the wheel goes loose again. Stopping the engine returns the feedback to normal stiffness. No mods are activated. The wheel continues to work normally with my previous SCS Scania Truck Driving simulator (this only has controls for f/b centering and gain - both kept at maximum) under all conditions.
I'm havnig the same thing, it's really annoying because now im swerving all over the place instead of keeping int he lines because im used to the force, the self centering isn't on either which is also very frustrating :/
Max
SCS Software

#4 Post by Max » 09 Jul 2013 21:44

default state of force feedback was set as close to real truck as possible with di8 API wheel devices.
but because FF is more matter of personal taste, you have lot of sliders available for tuning (options/controls).
you can decrease or turn off any aspect, you can increase any aspect. you can even mod forces coeficients.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#5 Post by Flemming V » 10 Jul 2013 06:09

If settings in game do not give you enough force then you can alter the settings in force_feedback.sii to etc. these settings:

stiffness_engine_off: 9.0
stiffness_engine_on: 2.0

centering_engine_off: 9.0
centering_engine_on: 6.0

Then you have force in wheel or resistance when turning.
Roamer

#6 Post by Roamer » 10 Jul 2013 10:43

Thanks - the file sounds to be just what I need, but I couldn't find it in any of my (XP) user sub folders along with controls.sii etc. I even tried creating my own of that name using your syntax quoted above (bracketed between SiiNunit{ } like controls.sii does its config lines) but v1.4.1 didn't appear to recognize it as it does controls.sii etc.
Like the other user above, loss of feedback in an attempt to simulate power steering is a deal breaker for me. It feels like driving a frisbie. I've even modified the mechanics of my G27 gear change (chilicoke.com has details) in an attempt to get closer to reality.
Last edited by supersobes on 14 Mar 2020 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.12]
Flemming V
Global moderator

#7 Post by Flemming V » 10 Jul 2013 13:42

You need to unpack the base.scs file and edit the file from there, then you need to pack this one file into a MOD and place it in your MOD folder in user folder.
I made it for you, you can download it here:

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Let me know if it help you.
hippo

#8 Post by hippo » 10 Jul 2013 13:49

I found exactly the same thing, in that the first time I took a corner I binned it.

I think its the lack of expecting it that's the problem, its a big change, and I like it after using it for a bit, but the fact it was a big surprise....

Can I ask, the sliders, are they in the center by default, or all set to the left? I moved my controls.sii into the profile folders before I got a chance to check the defaults. Maybe I will start a new profile and see for myself.
hippo

#9 Post by hippo » 10 Jul 2013 13:51

Flemming V wrote:You need to unpack the base.scs file and edit the file from there, then you need to pack this one file into a MOD and place it in your MOD folder in user folder.
I made it for you, you can download it here:
FFB.zip
Let me know if it help you.
With the

Should you change these to 9.0 for both? And what is a valid number range, 0-255?
Flemming V
Global moderator

#10 Post by Flemming V » 10 Jul 2013 14:01

hippo wrote:
With the

Should you change these to 9.0 for both? And what is a valid number range, 0-255?
These numbers are when the truck engine is on and off.
Like in real life, the servo only works when engine is on, which is why force level is 2 and when engine is off it's level 9, like heavy force and sterring wheel is hard to turn.
So 0 is no force and 10 is very heavy force. If you set both to the same, you will have same force both when engine is on and off in truck.
Try turn the sterring wheel to any side before you turn your truck engine on and then try do it again after engine is on. ;)

Return to “bugs 1.4.1”