ETA on Route Advisor Inaccurate?

n4gix

ETA on Route Advisor Inaccurate?

#1 Post by n4gix » 18 Jul 2013 16:41

I'm not certain when this appeared. It's entirely possible it's always been this way and I just never noticed it before...

At any rate, as can be clearly seen in this cropped screenshot of the Route Advisor, I'm tooling along at 65 mph (~110 kph), the remaining distance is 82 miles, but the Route Advisor is calculating just slightly over 2 hours remaining!
TripAdvisor_Error_01.png
TripAdvisor_Error_01.png (209.37 KiB) Viewed 8143 times
In addition, although I don't have a screenshot of it, on another trip I had 484 liters fuel remaining, yet the Route Advisor was informing me I was "low on fuel" and suggested that I fill up soon. My Scania has 1400 liter capacity, so 484 liters remaining is certainly not "too low..."
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
ohaha

Re: ETA on Route Advisor Inaccurate?

#2 Post by ohaha » 18 Jul 2013 16:45

The route is computed at 62 kph, regardless of your current speed.
Retired, but still loving it.
n4gix

#3 Post by n4gix » 18 Jul 2013 16:56

ohaha wrote:The route is computed at 62 kph, regardless of your current speed.
While that might well be the top limit, I have noticed that if you maintain 30 kph for several minutes, the ETA is recalculated to reflect that average speed.

In any case, with the new selectable option to disable the speed limiter, it might be a good idea to revise the ETA calculation to work with higher average speeds. :ugeek:
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
ohaha

#4 Post by ohaha » 18 Jul 2013 17:00

Are you sure? Because there is a parameter, in game_data.sii, I think, that can be set to whatever, but I haven't seen the eta being dynamically adjusted...
and, if we're on the subject, the realistic way to calculate it is based on the local speed limit, for each section of road, not on your driving speed. at least, that's how all gps programs do it.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#5 Post by Flemming V » 18 Jul 2013 17:05

If you drive a different way than calculated, the RA recalculates the job on every road segment.
As Ohaha says it calc. the speed to around 62km/h as I remember.
n4gix

#6 Post by n4gix » 18 Jul 2013 17:12

ohaha wrote:...the realistic way to calculate it is based on the local speed limit, for each section of road, not on your driving speed. at least, that's how all gps programs do it.
My Garmin Nuvi calculates my ETA based on my actual driving speed, which makes perfect sense because I might just be driving like a "Little Old Lady" if I'm just out for a pleasure drive... :lol:

Oddly enough, the actual speed displayed on my Nuvi is more accurate than the mechanical speedometer in my old Mercury Grand Marquis LS.
Fr. Bill
Flemming V
Global moderator

#7 Post by Flemming V » 18 Jul 2013 17:17

Yes, the GPS is almost always more accurate than the speedometer in cars. ;)
ohaha

#8 Post by ohaha » 18 Jul 2013 17:19

n4gix wrote:
ohaha wrote:...the realistic way to calculate it is based on the local speed limit, for each section of road, not on your driving speed. at least, that's how all gps programs do it.
My Garmin Nuvi calculates my ETA based on my actual driving speed, which makes perfect sense because I might just be driving like a "Little Old Lady" if I'm just out for a pleasure drive... :lol:

Oddly enough, the actual speed displayed on my Nuvi is more accurate than the mechanical speedometer in my old Mercury Grand Marquis LS.
Never liked Garmin :D I have only used devices based on WinCE, on which I can install my own software (usually iGo). Regarding the estimation based on current speed, what happens if you stop at a traffic light?

The GPS displayed speed is the most accurate, so it should be odd. The one on your dashboard is affected by a lot of factors, from the size of the tires mounted on your car (if they are bigger, the car shows less) to the wear of the mechanisms involved in displaying the info. My car shows an average of 4 kph more than the GPS, but this difference increases with the speed, to almost 10 kph, when I hit ~ 130 kph.
Unco

#9 Post by Unco » 18 Jul 2013 17:22

ohaha wrote: My car shows an average of 4 kph more than the GPS, but this difference increases with the speed, to almost 10 kph, when I hit ~ 130 kph.
Manufacturers do that on purpose, by law.
ohaha

#10 Post by ohaha » 18 Jul 2013 17:25

Unco wrote:
ohaha wrote: My car shows an average of 4 kph more than the GPS, but this difference increases with the speed, to almost 10 kph, when I hit ~ 130 kph.
Manufacturers do that on purpose, by law.
Law or not, I know they do it.
Actually, I have two allowed tire sizes for my car. I had the small ones until recently and the difference was around 8 kph, at normal city speed. I'm glad I got rid of them :D

Return to “Bugs 1.4.6”