Disappearing Trailer Bug - Troubleshooting Thread

madjeff

Re: Disappearing Trailer Bug - Troubleshooting Thread

#11 Post by madjeff » 29 Jul 2013 15:18

SCS Software support has reached out and I've forwarded my game .exe and zipped profile. Hopefully it will help narrow down the issue. I'll update status as I learn more.
madjeff

#12 Post by madjeff » 30 Jul 2013 19:10

So, a quick update. I've been working with Jiri in support and we think we see what the cause of the problem is.

My current gaming rig is running an Athlon Phenom II x3 with the 4th core unlocked via bios on an asus M4A785-M motherboard. A little long in the tooth, but still runs everything I throw at it. The CPU identifies in the bios and other testing utils as a Phenom II x4 B45 3.0Ghz. I did kill my mild overclocking as well just to see if it was an overclock issue, but that didn't seem to make a diff with the testing results.

At this point it looks like the issue is related to running with an unlocked core. Support sent me some exe files to test with and they fail on a sig check against the processor, but pass when I run the CPU stock without the 4th core unlocked. The CPU tests fine against Prime95 in extended stress testing against all cores, but there is something in the checking mechanism in ETS2 that is not liking the unlocked core.

As an aside, I've NEVER had a problem running games with this unlocked core configuration in the 3+ years I've had this setup. I throw a lot of heavy-duty FPS and Simulation games at this rig and it's always been rock solid.

I'm curious if others reporting the issue are also running unlocked cores?
Centrino2

#13 Post by Centrino2 » 31 Jul 2013 15:30

Why would this game be concerned about unlocked cores? I don't see how that has anything to do with combating piracy, must be a bug then. :roll:
ohaha

#14 Post by ohaha » 31 Jul 2013 15:47

Centrino2 wrote:Why would this game be concerned about unlocked cores? I don't see how that has anything to do with combating piracy, must be a bug then. :roll:
maybe there's a routine that calls some bits that, with the unlock thingy, are not actually available... result crash.
Retired, but still loving it.
Centrino2

#15 Post by Centrino2 » 31 Jul 2013 15:51

ohaha wrote:
Centrino2 wrote:Why would this game be concerned about unlocked cores? I don't see how that has anything to do with combating piracy, must be a bug then. :roll:
maybe there's a routine that calls some bits that, with the unlock thingy, are not actually available... result crash.
Well then, OP would be complaining about crashes then, not trailer lost. Can he/she just lock the core?
ohaha

#16 Post by ohaha » 31 Jul 2013 15:52

Centrino2 wrote:Can he/she just lock the core?
No idea... :D
madjeff

#17 Post by madjeff » 31 Jul 2013 16:24

Sounds like it has to do with the DRM and some crypto operations check they are running against the CPU during gameplay to verify the game is legit. I was also randomly having the startup error "The game filesystem failed to initialize, aborting now." issue. Sometime the game starts fine, sometimes I have to fire up the game 2-3 times before it starts. Both issues seem to be linked to the DRM checking.

Sounds like they have a fix in the works and will be sending me an updated EXE to play with until they can test and get it in a future patch release. I don't know how many are affected by this particular issue, but since a lot of people run with unlocked cores there has to be a few of us at least.
Last edited by madjeff on 31 Jul 2013 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
madjeff

#18 Post by madjeff » 31 Jul 2013 16:44

Centrino2 wrote:
ohaha wrote:
Well then, OP would be complaining about crashes then, not trailer lost. Can he/she just lock the core?
I can manually change the affinity of the process and lockout the 4th core, which I'll try later today. You have to do it manually after starting the game, alt-tabbing to Task manager and then changing the affinity of the process.

The problem boils down to they are running DRM crypto checks against the SSE2 features of the cpu. ETS2 doesn't like the results of that check when ran against that 4th unlocked core on my cpu. It doesn't cause a game crash during play, but it's enough to fail the data-checking function and resets the truck.

Hopefully the fix will resolve this issue, at least for some of us.
BHS

#19 Post by BHS » 31 Jul 2013 20:47

Congratulations on solving this 'you have to buy the game' problem. I've seen so many people reporting this trailer issue.

I think somebody owe an apology to some frustrated people who actually paid for the game only to be treated as pirates.

It's a crappy anti-piracy scheme that does false positives for illegitimate version, when in reality it is a legitimate one.

Regards,
BHS
ohaha

#20 Post by ohaha » 31 Jul 2013 20:57

BHS wrote:It's a crappy anti-piracy scheme that does false positives for illegitimate version, when in reality it is a legitimate one.
maybe... maybe not...

Return to “Bugs 1.4.8”