Disappearing Trailer Bug - Troubleshooting Thread

BHS

Re: Disappearing Trailer Bug - Troubleshooting Thread

#21 Post by BHS » 31 Jul 2013 21:14

ohaha wrote: maybe... maybe not...

??

It sounds like madjeff has had his problem solved. So why the 'maybe not' ?

Regards,
BHS
n4gix

#22 Post by n4gix » 31 Jul 2013 23:16

BHS wrote:
ohaha wrote: maybe... maybe not...
It sounds like madjeff has had his problem solved. So why the 'maybe not' ?
Not everyone reporting this problem are legitimate. For every "false positive" there are without doubt many more who actually have tripped the DRM through piracy.

However, that said I happen to agree with your point that no one should aSSume that just because someone with this problem is a "pirate."

No software title is ever going to be 100% bulletproof. I know first hand having just released a project I've devoted nearly three years to for up to sixteen hours every day of the week...

...only to have no fewer than nineteen "errors" reported in the first forty-eight hours! :oops:

Even with a really good alpha and beta team of testers who've put this one through the wringer, there's just no way to find every possible permutation of user's systems.
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
BHS

#23 Post by BHS » 31 Jul 2013 23:32

Oh. I am not saying that this problem only occcurs in legit games. I am aware that the problem will arise in pirated versions. Just saying that it's a bit harsh to accuse all people reporting the problem of piracy.

I too know about software bugs having spent the last 35 years writing sw myself :)

And I've come across many funny/interesting ones. Like in one particular piece of sw where typing a space in column 234 caused the pc to crash immediately. Any other char in that position was fine. But not a space :o

And writing sw for PCs is much harder than what I do as there are an unlimited number of configurations and thereby bug sources.

Regards,
BHS
Komat
SCS Software

#24 Post by Komat » 01 Aug 2013 16:53

BHS wrote:It sounds like madjeff has had his problem solved. So why the 'maybe not' ?
Yes, it solved madjeff's problem. The problem which he created by unlocking the damaged fourth core.
madjeff

#25 Post by madjeff » 01 Aug 2013 22:03

Komat wrote:
BHS wrote:It sounds like madjeff has had his problem solved. So why the 'maybe not' ?
Yes, it solved madjeff's problem. The problem which he created by unlocking the damaged fourth core.
Whoo boy. :roll:

I've ran this CPU with all cores unlocked for three years, running heavy sims like DCS:Black Shark and Flaming Cliffs, dozens of heavy-load FPS shooters and a ton of other stuff. As I'm also a netsec guy, I dabble a lot in crypto and number-crunching stuff on this box. I have NEVER had an issue with this unlocked core until now. The modding and overclocking community run unlocked cores all the time, this is not some one-off thing. So yes, I suppose I did "create the problem". The fact that this is the ONLY piece of software that has ever had an issue running on this rig has nothing to do with it. :roll:

I've worked with the devs, together we found the issue, they gave enough credence to the issue that they will be releasing a fix in the next patch. I hope this thread might help others running legal purchased copies of ETS2 with similar configs that are experiencing the same issue.

Hopefully I won't need to come back for further help, as from what I've seen of some of the community here I wouldn't want to have to ask for anything else. I hope the majority are helpful and friendly folk, but the attitudes of some on here have pretty much soured me from getting involved in the community further. I'll leave it at that...
Unco

#26 Post by Unco » 02 Aug 2013 04:44

Good to hear your issue has been solved madjeff.

All I can say about this disappearing trailer "bug" is that it is interesting that the forums were flooded with members asking for a fix to this 'bug' when 1.4.1 was released.

Of the long list of players registering to report this issue, you are the second person to have come forward with a legitimate problem not caused by a cracked illegal version of the software. The other member seemed to have a corrupt installation possibly due to a dodgy mod that he had used in the past.

Where are all those members complaining about this after SCS announced that this "bug" was caused by cracked exe's? Nobody knows.

Obviously we now can see that there are legitimate users having this problem, albeit a small number, so I think everyone (myself included) needs to be careful of how to handle these help requests when they pop up here in the forums.

I think it is also interesting what I found about unlocking AMD cores. Personally, I only ever built one AMD/Ati system a few years ago. That was my first and last time with that combination. But that's just me and my personal preferences. Biased, maybe.
There are two major reasons why certain features are disabled on AMD processors. Cache memory and extra cores on these microprocessors could be disabled due to internal core or memory defects, or to meet market demand. Unfortunately, it's not possible to tell whether the features were locked down because the core or cache memory didn't pass quality assurance tests, or because high-profile OEM company needed a large number of cheap parts with fewer cores and/or smaller size of cache.
source: http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unloc ... nd_L3.html

Anyway, I hope your issue has been solved and feel free to discuss anything you like here. I hope you understand the reasons behind some of the replies to this "bug" based on what we have seen and experienced.

Cheers
Max
SCS Software

#27 Post by Max » 02 Aug 2013 06:49

madjeff wrote:
Komat wrote:Yes, it solved madjeff's problem. The problem which he created by unlocking the damaged fourth core.
Whoo boy. :roll:

I've ran this CPU with all cores unlocked for three years, running heavy sims like DCS:Black Shark and Flaming Cliffs, dozens of heavy-load FPS shooters and a ton of other stuff. As I'm also a netsec guy, I dabble a lot in crypto and number-crunching stuff on this box. I have NEVER had an issue with this unlocked core until now. The modding and overclocking community run unlocked cores all the time, this is not some one-off thing. So yes, I suppose I did "create the problem". The fact that this is the ONLY piece of software that has ever had an issue running on this rig has nothing to do with it. :roll:

I've worked with the devs, together we found the issue, they gave enough credence to the issue that they will be releasing a fix in the next patch. I hope this thread might help others running legal purchased copies of ETS2 with similar configs that are experiencing the same issue.

Hopefully I won't need to come back for further help, as from what I've seen of some of the community here I wouldn't want to have to ask for anything else. I hope the majority are helpful and friendly folk, but the attitudes of some on here have pretty much soured me from getting involved in the community further. I'll leave it at that...
just for your info, the "dev" you were working with to solve the "problem" was Komat.

with all respect, usage of damaged hardware is your problem. honestly, we cannot contribute any warranty if anyone runs our software on hardware that does not follow given norms. nevertheless, we have prepared workaround (not fix!) for your problem (it will be in some of next patches), but it costed us some unnecessary work. hope you can appreciate it.

fact, that you did not met any problem so far is pure luck (IMO). maybe software you used did not use all SSE2 features, maybe software you used cannot run on multiple cores (or, say, more than two) etc. maybe community does not have such problem, because only you have hardware damaged in exactly this way.
as unco wrote: that core was locked for a reason. you should contact you hardware vendor, but i'm afraid there is no warranty about 4th core and/or after unlocking ...
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Indust

#28 Post by Indust » 03 Aug 2013 18:15

Hardware is clear - same problem on Intel based rig (Intel Ci3 2100; 12GB RAM; VGA HD6570, W8 x64) it appeared on last time - maybe new anti-piracy mode, which mistakenly affects legal version players.

Also, after cargo vanishing, in stats are counting up that value: "Cancelled deliveries", so, there is game fault
Unco

#29 Post by Unco » 03 Aug 2013 19:28

Indust wrote:Hardware is clear - same problem on Intel based rig (Intel Ci3 2100; 12GB RAM; VGA HD6570, W8 x64) it appeared on last time - maybe new anti-piracy mode, which mistakenly affects legal version players.

Also, after cargo vanishing, in stats are counting up that value: "Cancelled deliveries", so, there is game fault
ohaha wrote:OK, I see this is going nowhere, fast.
The proper way to solve this is to remove the game completely, by uninstalling it and (if applicable) deleting the Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder from Program Files.
Move the entire C:/Users/[you]/My Documents/Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder to a safe location and install a fresh copy, using your genuine DVD version and the official patch from SCS website.
If the fault continues to happen, then we can all agree it is a bug and it must be corrected as soon as possible!
If this does not happen again, then your profile is corrupt and you have to start fresh, probably.
What do you think?

If that doesn't work, please contact SCS support directly. Thank you.
Giraffa

#30 Post by Giraffa » 14 Oct 2013 00:16

I use nVidia geforce, how to fix this problem ? I had the same problem

Return to “Bugs 1.4.8”