18 WOS AA and WINDOWS 8 64 bits not working

rsitaly

18 WOS AA and WINDOWS 8 64 bits not working

#1 Post by rsitaly » 24 Sep 2013 21:35

Hello!

I have installed HARD TRUCK: 18 WOS and 18 WOS AHL and they work without any problem ... instead, ACROSS AMERICA installs correctly but I'm unable to run it; I have tried all the compatibility options, I execute the game as administrator as well, but without luck.

It shows me the initial hardware options panel but when I press PLAY! it simply finish its execution.

Of course, more modern games like ETS, ETS2 and EXTREME 2 work perfectly.

No way to run this old beauty?

Thanks in advance!

Roberto
ohaha

Re: 18 WOS AA and WINDOWS 8 64 bits not working

#2 Post by ohaha » 25 Sep 2013 06:15

I never played or owned this, but is there a game.log or something?
Retired, but still loving it.
rsitaly

#3 Post by rsitaly » 25 Sep 2013 10:13

ohaha wrote:I never played or owned this, but is there a game.log or something?
I can't find any type of log ... BTW an older game, HARD TRUCK 18 WHEELS OF STEEL, works without problems.

Roberto
rsitaly

[OFF-TOPIC] Any way to run 18 WOS AA under W8 64 bits?

#4 Post by rsitaly » 26 Sep 2013 08:07

Hello!

please forgive me ... I have already posted this on the right forum, but I hope to have more luck here!

I have installed HARD TRUCK: 18 WOS and 18 WOS AHL under W8 64 bits and they work without any problem ... instead, ACROSS AMERICA installs correctly but I'm unable to run it; I have tried all the compatibility options, I execute the game as administrator as well, but without luck.

It shows me the initial hardware options panel but when I press PLAY! it simply finish its execution.

Of course, more modern games like ETS, ETS2 and EXTREME 2 work perfectly.

No way to run this old beauty?

Thanks in advance!

Roberto
ohaha

#5 Post by ohaha » 26 Sep 2013 10:19

Don't create multiple topics on the same subject. If someone can help you, they will, no matter how many topics you open.
Topics are equally visible to the users, no matter where you post them, so keep to the correct section, please.
If no one replies then no one knows, probably.
Thanks.
rsitaly

#6 Post by rsitaly » 26 Sep 2013 12:24

Maybe users look only on the simulator forum they are interested in, not knowing that someone asks a question in another forum; for this reason I posted again the same question in the most actually used forum belonging to the last released game.
Anyway in the future I'll take note on your remark.
Cadde

#7 Post by Cadde » 26 Sep 2013 12:35

If you provided more details on your system and any particular errors that are occurring we might be able to help you.
That said, it's hard to help someone when we don't have the game you want to get running. It's an old game after all.

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode?
Right click the shortcut, select properties. Then switch to the compatibility tab and select Windows XP Service Pack 3 (or Service Pack 2 etc) and see what makes the game work.
If that doesn't work, make sure you have the proper DirectX installed etc. Like i said, i don't know anything about the game you are trying to get running.
And thus it would really help with more information than "Running Win8 64bit. All other games works but this doesn't works halp".

If nothing or nobody here can help you and you bought the game then your best bet would be to contact customer support for the game in question as they would know more.

EDIT:

As for users only looking in a particular forum. They do so for a reason...
On extended hiatus.
ohaha

#8 Post by ohaha » 26 Sep 2013 17:42

I can't say for sure, but I think most of our users take advantage of the View unread posts feature, which will display your topic, also, to those who haven't already read it.
So, trust me, all posts are equally visible, on the forum. All we need is someone who knows how and wants to help you.

Good luck.
rsitaly

#9 Post by rsitaly » 27 Sep 2013 08:12

Cadde wrote:If you provided more details on your system and any particular errors that are occurring we might be able to help you.
That said, it's hard to help someone when we don't have the game you want to get running. It's an old game after all.

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode?
Right click the shortcut, select properties. Then switch to the compatibility tab and select Windows XP Service Pack 3 (or Service Pack 2 etc) and see what makes the game work.
If that doesn't work, make sure you have the proper DirectX installed etc. Like i said, i don't know anything about the game you are trying to get running.
And thus it would really help with more information than "Running Win8 64bit. All other games works but this doesn't works halp".

If nothing or nobody here can help you and you bought the game then your best bet would be to contact customer support for the game in question as they would know more.

EDIT:

As for users only looking in a particular forum. They do so for a reason...
Thanks for the help.

That old game run without problems under VISTA 32 bits but when I switched to W8 68 bits I was unable to run it again ... of course I have tried all the compatibility options and I have the latest NVIDIA drivers; it is a normal ... I have very few old games (bought from http://WWW.GOG.COM) that worked under Vista 32 but now they stopped working under W8 64 bits; on the other side I have bought more tahn 200 games from GOG and almost all of them work.
I'm lucky because they are only few ... in order to satisfy my "truck driver" needs I have ETS, ETS2, 10 WOS AHL and HD 18 WOS and they run perfectly.
I love old games ... my personal favorites run using DOSBOX ... many times these old games have a charm and they are great also today; of course the graphics is outdated, but this is not a problem for me.
I have tried, as a last resource, to copy game.dll and prism3d.exe from AHL to AA but without luck.
The program starts, ask me about my HD preferences and after if terminates its execution ... it simply exit from memory without errors and without creating any log.

Now I decided to stop trying ... I can live without AA!

Thanks anyway.

Roberto
Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 27 Sep 2013 09:27

Do you know truckpol.proboards.com?

It is a community where still some people interested in older US truck games of SCS are hanging around, and with some knowledge. Can't promise you anything, though. You would have to register, if that hasn't changed recently.

Return to “18 Wheels of Steel: Across America”