Your favorite route in Vanilla game with DLC?

Pan Logistica

Re: Your favorite route in Vanilla game with DLC?

#11 Post by Pan Logistica » 04 Apr 2019 12:37

I made a thing that fits in this topic. I was thinking about ways to more easily see what kind of route you're going to be driving and the other way around to help in selecting which job to take. Essentially it's a tool for finding your favorite routes. (As a side effect, it can also be used to decide which map expansion DLC to prioritize getting.) Based on a map by gamepressure.com, with a screenshot of the Baltic area Frankensteined on (the purpose was to make it functional, prettyness was secondary) I came up with this:

[ external image ]

Essentially it's a relief map, based on the real world. The red cities are located in highly mountainous terrain, the orange cities border highly mountainous terrain. The most hardcore mountain routes can therefor, assuming the game matches the real world, probably be found between either two red dots or a red and an orange dot. (Or, you know, between two orange dots on either side of a mountain range.) Similarly, the yellow dots lie inside very hilly to medium mountainous terrain, and the light green dots border it. Intermediate mountain routes can often be found between the yellow dots or between a yellow and a light green or orange dot. Here and there I also used a light green dot to mark some slightly hilly terrain in an otherwise mostly flat area.

Note that I haven't checked any of this in game. ETS2 is one of those games I keep coming back to, but I haven't spend quite enough time in it to even be max level yet, I have plenty of pieces of road still left to explore. Also note that this doesn't say anything about other road conditions. A bendy coastal road with a high speed limit and lots of traffic can be a bigger challenge than a highway tunneling through a very mountainous area.

As for me personally, I like diversity in my routes, but in general I'm mostly a fan of the medium rough stuff. Relax and steer a little. I know there's at least one route in the Ardennes (Belgium) that's quite fun, probably Reims-Liège. Recently I've been scouting the Norwegian roads. Stavanger to Bergen is a fun twisty mountainous route, Kristiansand to Stavanger is the perfect warming up for it. I'll probably be heading for Czechia soon, there have to be some brilliant roads around there I've missed so far or forgotten about.

(Final edit, then I'll stop I swear: I noticed on my ingame map that the two little ports I drew in as part of BtBS are actually included in the base game/Scandinavia respectively, they were merely released at the same time as the BtBS expansion. So that's a little error in the map.)
FlyingPigeon

#12 Post by FlyingPigeon » 07 Apr 2019 12:47

i think thats a cool map, it gives a great overview of where the more (opinion based) scenic routes can be found, very nice made. :)
Scandinavian truckdriver.
kingoko

#13 Post by kingoko » 05 May 2019 19:26

Nice map
Click here to check my profile :arrow:
No mods, no cheats, no console :P

ETS2: lvl136, achiev: 63/75, dlc 63/72, steam items 79/83
ATS: lvl86, achiev: 70/70, dlc 23/23, steam items 52/53
natjer3

#14 Post by natjer3 » 05 May 2019 19:34

Italia imo is just beautiful. The tolled highways in Italy are better than France as they stop you in the beginning and at the end only, unlike France, where on the highway you go in and out of tolls.
Drive Safely

#15 Post by Drive Safely » 05 May 2019 20:31

@Bocaj - I agree. The DLCs are getting better in quality and the base map is getting little improvements too with updates.
I still like to use some mods to enhance the game (can't go full vanilla for immersion), but for maps I probably will go with 3 map mods or less instead of big combos to save me the hassle.

When I was testing my sound mod I was mostly in the vanilla map and I quite enjoyed the scenery still.

@Pan Logistica - Great map. Scandinavia's a breeze to drive through. Autopass on toll roads. Less traffic lights I think. The traffic just keeps on moving. :)
Space_Night

#16 Post by Space_Night » 14 Jun 2019 21:59

Parma to Livorno road is a nice one
Lexx

#17 Post by Lexx » 04 Jul 2019 15:06

For the moment the only route I have enjoyed 100% is just one - shown on the image below. My current destination is nowhere near it but I placed that waypoint there, so that it gets marked by the GPS and you can see it clearer. In principle I love spaghetti roads and if they have sharp U-turns - even better. :)

Note: I do use mods but the map is Vanilla.

[ external image ]
My mods for other games
Sharkoon S25-W, AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
Corsair CX750, Corsair Force LE 120 GB, Western Digital 1.5 TB, Arch Linux KDE x64, Firefox x64
Tor Ben

#18 Post by Tor Ben » 02 Aug 2019 11:18

My favs are: Kristiansand-Stavanger-Bergen
supersobes
Global moderator

#19 Post by supersobes » 13 Aug 2019 17:39

My absolute favourite road in ETS2 is the back road through the French Alps between the A-75 in France and the A-6 in Italy.

[ external image ]
FlyingPigeon

#20 Post by FlyingPigeon » 13 Aug 2019 17:46

Great one Supersobes, i will have to check that one out :-)
Scandinavian truckdriver.

Return to “Vanilla Gamers”