Re: BlenderTools - Conversion Helper design

#13 Post by SiSL » 12 Jan 2016 19:41

Oh so, DDS will be support again? :)

Will be helpful to convert old stuff :)

davidzoli
Beta tester

#14 Post by davidzoli » 12 Jan 2016 19:43

Maybe converter support, but Blender Tools not :)

SiSL
Beta tester

#15 Post by SiSL » 12 Jan 2016 19:45

That's what I meant eheh, I use your helper too Davidzoli but DDS to TGA kinda boring but still makes me remake old texture again to "renew" the look :D

Currently I'm working like this:

Each named after an item (and each is sample base directory structure only with some reflections I need and mostly empty directories):

Each folder has this :

- My simple Base folders (which I don't need many stuff like units/hookup, so I make smallest Base file possible), even though folder names are there

("Out" folder is not in my base folder but I create it after I'm done AFTER I'm done with the item and has converted stuff of rscs - not to convert them again after I'm done to make "total pack")

And that's where I place my pit files depending on item (from settings inside the blender tools as export place) , also depending on my blend file, I do multiple objects at same blend and export them at same time,

I made an lazy solution for RSCS folder to Mod folder using "watchDirectory" (monitors directory of RSCS and copies new stuff, cleans old stuff etc.)

About DEFS and such I create actually "two" test mods, one mod has only RSCS ingredients, other is "def" files and such, both added to mod manager so def files always load with game as "another mod" , it works together with "TEST/RSCS" contents.
Last edited by scanialoverr on 12 Jan 2016 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not quote message above yours. [2.4]

50keda
SCS Software

#16 Post by 50keda » 12 Jan 2016 20:08

@SiSl: complicated much, eh? I read it, but I was lost in second image o.O However if this suits you why not. I did what I had to do: present intended workflow properly with images. Now it's up to you how complicated life you will make out of it ;)

However DDS files are supported through TOBJ. If you use TOBJ as texture in BT and TOBJ references DDS then no problem, it will be loaded. But we intentionally prevent DDS to be loaded directly as it is not really source format and with each resave you lose some quality (when using compressed ones, which are more or less all inside "base.scs") ;)

davidzoli
Beta tester

#17 Post by davidzoli » 12 Jan 2016 20:19

Near the same here. I call the base for the mod "skeletons".

Code: Select all

00_starter_base\
02_hella_base\
03_sunshield_base\
04_new_actros\
05_demo_base\
Starter is a minimal, but working base. Others are mods. Modmaking start with making a copy of 00_starter_base.

And I have a "sample_base_tga" folder with all the TGA files generated from all DDS. That's ~5GB :)
But recently I hit F3 in UV editor and save the texture as DDS like in my video

SiSL
Beta tester

#18 Post by SiSL » 12 Jan 2016 20:27

50keda wrote:@SiSl: complicated much, eh? I read it, but I was lost in second image o.O However if this suits you why not. I did what I had to do: present intended workflow properly with images. Now it's up to you how complicated life you will make out of it ;)
What I worry about the SCS blog article about Steam Workshop thing... Each modder works different and if SCS will have control over them, how will they do "messed up" mods like many including tons of different items I wonder...

Second picture basically shows directory structure of a sample base with all "empty directories" except material/enviroment pre placed in it with my own textures in respective directories required for the item.

50keda
SCS Software

#19 Post by 50keda » 12 Jan 2016 22:40

@SiSL: you don't need to keep "unit" defs or any existing textures in folders shown on your second image. Use sibling folder for all items (create "ETS2/items/base") and put in here "unit" all textures you won't convert&pack ("material/environment/*") just like I showed on intended pipeline images (take a look what I put inside folder "base" marked as blue).

Later when you will use "ETS2/items/cbradio.sisl_tr" in BT as SCS Project Base, then "ETS2/items/base/unit/hookup" folder will be still loaded in library without a problem and you can also normally use any texture from "ETS2/items/base". This is new feature in BT v1.0, which can search up to two directories back for "base" folder with game like directory and files structure.

I hope any of this makes sense to you already ;) Otherwise I will try to explain again.

50keda
SCS Software

#20 Post by 50keda » 22 Jan 2016 17:03

To move discussion about "Mod as folder" to correct place:
I will make it next week also for no archive, no matter how user wants to use it. It is true if games supports this why BT wouldn't.

However behaviour will be like straight forward, let's say you are expoting "test":
1. delete any exitsing directories inside destination named "test"
2. delete any zip files inside destination named "test.zip"
3. depending on user choose create:
3.1: "test" directory and copy RSRC contents into it
3.2: "test.zip" with RSRC contents
Anybody has a better solution?
As previously stated, I also use the "Folder" state for mods, not SCS archives, for more than one reason. Mainly, it's because the content of the mod comes from multiple sources: some stuff get copied from base.scs and edited, then placed under a new name in the mod, other involve completely new definitions or folders for custom accessories (for custom locators) etc. Having them in a packed archive involves WinRAR or 7-zip or similar third party program, while the "no archive" method is more straight-forward.
I do the same check my github for MapEdit... I have 3 bases, when packing mod I use Custom Paths with multiple targets. Why I should use mod folders instead and then by hand combine each of mods?

Return to “Public research”