CSIO Technologies SKRS shifter

Reef
Beta tester

CSIO Technologies SKRS shifter

#1 Post by Reef » 10 Jul 2017 09:19

Ok a year and 4 months on since the guys at CSIO Technologies launched the SKRS shifter and I'm >||< this close to buying one, but lets face it at $144 ~ they're not cheap..

So my question is to you guys that own one and hopefully a few that have owned one for a good while now, are they worth the money? Did/do you have any issues with them? (I will be getting the G27 Logitech version so info relative to that one would be most advantageous) Did it cause any problems with the actual Logitech shifter itself due to the additional weight and lever effect?

I'm literally on the Submit button in the check out over on their website but I thought I'd hang back a bit and see what the general consensus is.

Incidentally for those that had held off like me because it was only available originally as LHD (drive on the right) they now do a RHD (drive on the left) version too.

natvander
SCS Software

Re: CSIO Technologies SKRS shifter

#2 Post by natvander » 10 Jul 2017 09:47

I was an early kickstarter so I guess I'm in a position to give an opinion.

Are they worth the money? Depends on how serious you want to get with your driving. Look at most driving sim (and flying sim) hardware and there's a plethora of stuff that asks a $$$$$ price tag for that virtual driving experience. Me personally; it's made a massive difference to my driving experience. If I were to go without I'd probably just use real automatic rather than go back to using the G27 buttons for range and split functions.

Problems? I'm on my third unit now. The first two had faulty splitter buttons (reed switches) and were replaced by the guys at CSIO promptly. I would say they were early model faults as I've had the last one for some time and it still works fine with regular (near daily) use. I have read that some people are having issues with support (pre and post sales) - I've personally never had an issue with them and Corey went above and beyond to try to resolve the issues my unit was having. I guess it's like most things in that if you show a bit of patience things will get resolved and you're more likely to get a good response than if you complain from the start.

Problems with G27? None I can see. It is obviously heavier than the bog standard shifter knob but it's not overly heavy (of course I'm sure Logitech would advise against using them). The weight does make gear shifting a little lighter than normal.

Funnily enough even though I live in a RHD country, after having driven LHD trucks in both games for so long I have trouble adapting to RHD trucks when in UK in ETS2.

In a nutshell I'm more than happy with my purchase.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reef
Beta tester

#3 Post by Reef » 10 Jul 2017 21:14

Thanks for the candid reply natvander, I'm still hovering over that Submit button (metaphorically) I can see me pressing it very soon tbh.

flight50

#4 Post by flight50 » 12 Jul 2017 03:39

I have no experience with the shifter, yet, but I was were you are now last week. I went ahead and purchased one last week though. I expect SCS to start releasing states a bit quicker in the next couple of years so I want realism. I plan on logging some serious time with new dlc rolling out. If the SKRS Makes shifting that much more enjoyable, then I am all in. The base model is $99.95 not $144, though. Throw in the jake and the medallion and then yes. I purchased the jake and the 18 spd medallion. Total came out to $149. There is a 5 dollar discount by using squirrel' s promo code. There is one other I saw on YouTube as well. Just search for people reviewing the SKRS. Also the Mega Shifter is another option. There is a thread in the forum on it. Price is not given so you will have to PM that person. I hear the 2-3 is true with him though. If you are wanting the product much quicker, the mega shifter is available.

I went ahead and made my purchase for a number of reasons:
1) gotta jump in line-the sooner you order, the sooner you get it. The 2-3 week window that Csio mentions, forget about it. The reviews I have been seeming is more like 3-4 months. But everyone says well worth the wait
2)it's so sexy and compared to the g27 gearing, well there is no comparison, lol.
3) I have spent my money on worse things in my life. Some, don't exist anymore. Or not worth the expense. To get joy out of a game that I admire by taking it to the next level, why not. I charged to my credit card and will just pay it off in installments.
4) who knows what the future may bring. I just may have to drive one in real life someday if the economy crashes worse that 9-11 or 2008. I can be that much more ahead of the curve.
5) bragging rights, lol.
6) to know that SCS supports them, is awesome. This can bring newcomers to the game and possibly intrigue the truck manufacturers to stop tripping with licenses. The closer to driving the real thing can be used as a marketing tool. If truck manufactures see the sim in this manner, they will want their product represented. I would be glad that I could aid in all that by purchasing one.

Reef
Beta tester

#5 Post by Reef » 12 Jul 2017 07:14

flight50 wrote:
12 Jul 2017 03:39
The base model is $99.95 not $144, though. Throw in the jake and the medallion and then yes. I purchased the jake and the 18 spd medallion. Total came out to $149. There is a 5 dollar discount by using squirrel' s promo code. There is one other I saw on YouTube as well.
Yes same price as you stated and I got the 18 speed medallion added to mine, but not bothered with the Easyjake (don't think it's available on the RHD version anyway) but there is also the $39.99 international shipping fee to take into consideration (I live in the UK). Deduct from that the $5 gunnin code (who the heck is Squirrel?) and that's how I got to $144

And yeah I bit the bullet last night so I hope they've gotten caught up on their back orders.

R0adrunner

#6 Post by R0adrunner » 12 Jul 2017 07:25

It seems i'm a bit late for the party, but anyway, here goes.

Kickstarter backer here too. I have the TH8A version though, so i'm not eligible to speak for the G27 specific stuff.

Worth the money? Always a relative question, but i'd say for me - yes. Simply because of the added realism. It's not cheap considering taxes, customs and shipping expenses to EU. On the other hand, there's not much competition on the market.

It's early days of course (just about over a year) but i've experienced zero problems so far. If the device will continue working without problems for a couple of more years, it'll surely prove itself well worth the bucks.

In my experience CSIO should however improve in communication and support for post sales. In my case the shifter was missing the velcro strap to secure the usb-cable (they claimed it's included in some early video clip) and the little set screw that's supposed to fix the sleeve to the shifter. The medallion included in the same order was also missing. I contacted them regarding the missing items and got a reply the next day saying not to worry and that the missing parts would be sent over as soon as the medallions comes in. The medallion arrived about 3 weeks later, but still no screw or velcro strap. I contacted them once again and was told the missing parts would be shipped end of june 2016. Well, i'm still patiently waiting and didn't think it's worth spending my time on further correspondence in the matter.

It's totally understandable that people do mistakes and unpredictable things happen, but if there's a problem (delay or whatever) you should really bother to inform your customers. This will pay off in long term with returning happy customers that trust you. Just plain business basics.

Just to be clear, the whining/criticism part here is not about the product itself. Those missing parts are not a problem at all. The sleeve is so tight that you don't need the screw anyway and if you need one it'd be easy and cheap to get a suitable screw. For the cable, i used some velcro strap i had lying around to secure the cable to the shifter rod. A cable tie would do just fine too.

Oh, and despite everything ;) , i'd like to order an EasyJake too, but apparently i can't order it separately... :?:
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page

Reef
Beta tester

#7 Post by Reef » 12 Jul 2017 10:19

Thanks for the candid replies guys, let the waiting game commence :?

Kiwimike7

#8 Post by Kiwimike7 » 12 Jul 2017 10:32

Just be aware Reef that there are a number of alternatives if you hunt around. I got mine (which I am very happy with, and was exceptionally happy with the turnaround - under a week from order to delivery (Poland to Australia) - off ebay. Similar price, but I may have paid a little more for the fast shipping. There was also another guy on this forum looking to set up shop.
In a nutshell there are more around than just CSIO.
cheers
Mike
Mike (Kiwmike7)

Reef
Beta tester

#9 Post by Reef » 12 Jul 2017 11:46

Fair point but a) I've already ordered it b) I stumbled across the MAN one from Poland (after I'd bought the CSIO one of course) but it was only LHD version and wasn't sure on shipping and overall legitimacy as it was only a YouTube vid I watched with a link to an unfamiliar Polish selling site, and as I'd already bought the CSIO one it seemed pointless delving into the alternatives any further tbh. Also that other SKRS kickstarter failed didn't it?

flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 12 Jul 2017 20:01

R0adrunner wrote:
12 Jul 2017 07:25

Oh, and despite everything ;) , i'd like to order an EasyJake too, but apparently i can't order it separately... :?:
I believe it can be purchased separately. I watched the video of CSIO showing them soldier it. Someone asked them to do a video on how easy it was so that the older model of the SKRS can also add the easy jake. Also the site mentions that it is a standalone or add to previous option. Unfortunately though for those wanting RHD, it is not compatible, at least not yet. Funny thing is, why can't it just be configured and rotated 180 deg.

I don't regret purchasing the SKRS though. I too hope the back orders are not stacked up like last year. But if they are, I am not expecting to see it until Oct-Dec anyways. So as long as I can forget about it, I will be more than excited when it does arrive. By then New Mexico and update 1.28 should be here. If we are even luckier, another state by then could be released. With all that mentioned, that will give the shifter some good break in time, lol

Sorry to hear about the $39 shipping fee. Look at it this way. Eliminate that fee and just write it off as a lost that is sacrificed for enjoyment. I try to not think about shipping fees. Especially international fees. When product is sold locally, the taxes and higher price turns out to be what the shipping would have been anyways. The good thing about the SKRS, is that SCS supports them so obviously the quality is good enough for SCS to support it. I would have paid $200 for it if it gives me the realism I am looking for. One day I hope to purchase CSIO's A.S.P Heavy Hauler panel for $250. That depends on the quality of this shifter plus, I really need a custom setup for all that. Anyways, just rambling off.

If you are speaking of the Mega Shifter, yes the kickstarter did not meet goal but it is still being produced. One guy chimed in and said he got one. viewtopic.php?f=178&t=231127

Return to “Public research”